Toughness

Two major differences. Garza is playing all season like he played at the end of last year. And Joe frickin Wieskamp. Its arguable that hes the best player on the team. When you have a new guy like that, it makes a huge difference. Especially when he plays the biggest position of need from last year. Our 3 spot was downright awful.
Wieskamp and Connor are both very high IQ BB players with lots of competition experience since they were toddlers.

I believe they have made a huge difference in the clutch, a calming presence, with confidence.

Garza and Kriener also + I am leaving much out of course.

I think the "Less Psycho" Fran is helping not only the players during the game, but also is helping Iowa get more fair officiating.

I would also avoid posts about who was right or wrong until we know for sure. It is funny how much proof we already have this year that things are different yet how nervous I am that the wheels wont fall off.
Not your first rodeo.

Absolutely...enjoy it! I know I am and the idea of Iowa getting back to the NCAA tournament after last season is making me giddy. But your post has a little bit of a nose rub in it, I wouldn't rub this in the "haters" noses just yet. The reason people like myself throw cautions at you because we've all seen this script before, get off to a hot start and then stumble down the stretch.

Now if that happens but Iowa still reaches the NCAA tournament, I'll have your back. After last season I didn't think that would be possible, I was thinking NIT. So it's still a HUGE step in the right direction.

But, yeah, who am I to tell you how to fan. Just some friendly cautions that's all.

I throw caution in the wind bro, I also am not rubbing any specific persons nose in anything. I also wasn't "right" about Iowa basketball and I don't feel like I've been validated by this season. This isn't about me. It's about others IMO. Others that IMO, shit on this program and players instead of supporting the program through hard times. Show me 1 champion that didn't face adversity? It's how their made (I'm not calling Iowa a champion either, but you have to learn to crawl before you walk) and I frankly find the fact that so many don't understand that disheartening. I'm enjoying this season a lot.

yep - you got it. I am not really throwing any "gotcha jabs" out there. I didn't get anybody. I just cheer on the team and give my opinions. I wasn't right anything.... but IMO, a whole lot of people were wrong.
At Iowa, if you are upset with the coaching success, all you have to do is wait a few years and a good season will pop up, coaches tend to stay around a long time at Iowa :)

I would also avoid posts about who was right or wrong until we know for sure. It is funny how much proof we already have this year that things are different yet how nervous I am that the wheels wont fall off.

Nah, I've been "put in my place" about Iowa basketball for the last 2 seasons and rightfully so I might add. Turn abouts fair play IMO. If they can do it when we are losing, can fans that supported the team through down times fire back a little when we are winning? I am not sure how to fan but that's how I do it. I am of course nervous the wheels might fall off. That's sports. Iowa is going to go through another drought. I have no doubt of that, but I still think Iowa is dancing.

Wieskamp and Connor are both very high IQ BB players with lots of competition experience since they were toddlers.

I believe they have made a huge difference in the clutch, a calming presence, with confidence.

I think the "Less Psycho" Fran is helping not only the players during the game, but also is helping Iowa get more fair officiating.
Wieskamp had a huge rebound before the Bohannon 3. That's his second huge rebound late in a close game recently. Frans bad close game record has a lot to do with one group of players standing around late in games. No way any player on the Uthoff team gets that rebound. No way they get the next stop, and no way in hell they score at the end. Fran's close game struggles started with that class and ended with that class.

Sorry to derail the thread - but Dean lately always has me thinking of "da haters" - back to the OP - this team is definitely tough. You know how you get tough? By getting your ass handed to ya. Failure is part of the growth pattern. It toughens you up. You learn from mistakes and it comes with maturity. There is no lack toughness on this team and they seem to understand that in order to belong, they are going to have to fight and scratch their way to get to it. I enjoy teams like that.

We've avoided bad losses. I mean dude 15-3. Undefeated through the non conference. Prior to this season who'd predicted that? Noo body. Hell we were picked to be in the bottom 4 or 5 of the league maybe lower. We are playing with house money if you were to base our season off of this right now.
And keep in mind till recently how many good games has JBo had? He really wasn't himself most of the start of this year as far as his overall play has been. When he plays with confidence and hitting shots like he did last night we are a tough out.
Yeah our defense reverted back to last years habits for most of the game witch was frustrating. But not when it counted. I believe we held them scoreless the last 2 plus mins however many possessions that was. Last yr we weren't doing that against anybody. PSU isn't as bad as their record indicates either if they keep playing like that they'll clip someone.

They are tougher. Other coaches are talking about our physicality with Cook, Kreiner, and Garza. It's not Michigan State physicality, but it's B10 comparable.

There is just no easy pass in this league anymore. If you watched Illinois at all this year...they are going to come in and play hard on both ends on Sunday. They gave Gonzaga all they could handle physically early in the year...and played with Michigan for 35 minutes. They absolutely hammered Minnesota yesterday because they shot the ball well. Illinois' guards are penetrators...this is going to be a tough game...and they are 1-6. They play really physical defense and deny everything.

But you are throwing "gotcha jabs" out there, correct?

I don't recall using the word victim, I was just asking about the intent of your comments.

In summary, you are saying you are excited and happy about Iowa's success and also excited that "critics" have been put in their place with the winning, correct? OK

Who cares if he throws some I gotcha jabs? It ain’t like @InGoodCo didn’t take a fair number of jabs himself before the season and during Iowa’s 3 losses.

Who cares if he throws some I gotcha jabs? It ain’t like @InGoodCo didn’t take a fair number of jabs himself before the season and during Iowa’s 3 losses.

haha yep... I am also not rubbing anyone's nose in anything. Not calling anyone specifically out, just telling you guys that I enjoy walking in here the day after a W like this.

biDFHU0.gif

Last edited:
So I was wondering last night what is the biggest difference this year vs the previous two years. While the defense is better, I just don't think we are winning on better defense alone. I think we are winning because of the toughness of the team. It seemed to me the previous couple years Iowa wasn't mentally or physically tough out there.

Physically you can see that they are all stronger. Cook is obviously a beast, but Cook and Kriener play tough down low. While only a freshman Weiskamp is just so tough already, he rebounds well and is just a physical player. Connor really adds a physical element to our PG play. Jordan just isn't going to be that guy, he isn't big enough, but Connor is and uses his body very well to both drive and protect the ball.

I think mentally we are tougher as well. I think this starts at the top with Fran. I have never like his sideline demure in the past. Things don't go Iowa's way and he loses his freaking mind in the past, blows up, has a fit and his players lose their composure as well. Fran seems much more calm on the sideline. Sure he gets on refs, and yells some, but he hasn't lost his shit yet like he usually does. I think this spills over to the players. Like last night, Penn St. make that run late and I thought, he we go, Iowa's gonna lose their shit and piss this game down their leg. Yet they kept their cool and hit two HUGE shots. That Garza shot through 3 people was crazy and then Jordan with the dagger with 14 seconds on the shot clock and like 30 seconds left was the ultimate in confident shots.

Keep it up Hawks, love the new toughness on the court!
Staff working at their JOB! Us and Tough Hawk Players like that. Harder 'd' and 50/50 ball collisions pleese. Win next game huh?

Didn't Fran 'challenge' the team at Northwestern? And they responded?

We are playing harder for 40 minutes this year. That could be a mental toughness. Experience helps. Our first half last night wasn't impressive defensively. Penn State did a good job of scouting our defenses and knew how to attack.

IMO Jbo shoots the same shot last year with the same amount of confidence or toughness. He's never lacked confidence in his shot. The difference between this year and last was he can take a break during the game. Having Connor is huge. Playing against full court defense for 40 minutes is tough. He has help this year, which wasn't the case last year. Connor is more important than most think. Losing a transfer beginning of the season and Connor to injury really hurt last year.

JW is also a huge part of the difference. Basketball teams can change a ton with one player. Two additional players on same team that are significant make a giant difference.

weiskamp and Connor are huge additions. Huge. Weiskamp, if he stays four years, is gonna be an all-time Hawkeye great.

Plus, the rest of the team is one year older and a lot stronger.

This team definitely has a shot at the NCAA tournament. That would be a huge achievement, after going 14-19 last year.

Latest posts