Toughness

deanvogs

So I was wondering last night what is the biggest difference this year vs the previous two years. While the defense is better, I just don't think we are winning on better defense alone. I think we are winning because of the toughness of the team. It seemed to me the previous couple years Iowa wasn't mentally or physically tough out there.

Physically you can see that they are all stronger. Cook is obviously a beast, but Cook and Kriener play tough down low. While only a freshman Weiskamp is just so tough already, he rebounds well and is just a physical player. Connor really adds a physical element to our PG play. Jordan just isn't going to be that guy, he isn't big enough, but Connor is and uses his body very well to both drive and protect the ball.

I think mentally we are tougher as well. I think this starts at the top with Fran. I have never like his sideline demure in the past. Things don't go Iowa's way and he loses his freaking mind in the past, blows up, has a fit and his players lose their composure as well. Fran seems much more calm on the sideline. Sure he gets on refs, and yells some, but he hasn't lost his shit yet like he usually does. I think this spills over to the players. Like last night, Penn St. make that run late and I thought, he we go, Iowa's gonna lose their shit and piss this game down their leg. Yet they kept their cool and hit two HUGE shots. That Garza shot through 3 people was crazy and then Jordan with the dagger with 14 seconds on the shot clock and like 30 seconds left was the ultimate in confident shots.

Keep it up Hawks, love the new toughness on the court!

Concur, more physical, emotionally tougher.

Also:

Fran called an early timeout before the game got away.

Fran isn't afraid to shorten his bench when needed.

Fran seems to have less craziness in him on the sideline.

The team is more experienced.

The team is making lots of free throws. (Sure it would be nice to make all of them)

Fran and the team seem interested in defense, more of the time.

On a play late in the game Garza did a great technical block out on a rebound and got fouled. Yipeee.

Back to emotionally tougher. It is to the team's credit to be 4-3 after starting 0-3 and pissing away a home game to the Badgers.

Man when Penn State made that ridicules 3 pointer in the corner, the one that bounced in, that's when I thought "here we go" and then they turned around and drained another one.

Garza and JB came up HUGE. JB at the end of games has been a different player for us than he has in the past. It used to be when he tried to create points and be the hero he'd drive the ball into the lane and turn it over. Now he's waiting for his shot or getting to the free throw line.

I LOVED Fran using JB at the 2 last night, I wanna see more of that.

Man when Penn State made that ridicules 3 pointer in the corner, the one that bounced in, that's when I thought "here we go" and then they turned around and drained another one.

Garza and JB came up HUGE. JB at the end of games has been a different player for us than he has in the past. It used to be when he tried to create points and be the hero he'd drive the ball into the lane and turn it over. Now he's waiting for his shot or getting to the free throw line.

I LOVED Fran using JB at the 2 last night, I wanna see more of that.

One other thing about Jordan's 3 with so much time on the shot clock left. At first I was like man what was he doing, but then I just remembered all those games the last 2 years taking the clock down to 1 or 2 seconds and chucking up some defended prayer of a shot. So I was much more ok with it even if he would have missed.

One other thing about Jordan's 3 with so much time on the shot clock left. At first I was like man what was he doing, but then I just remembered all those games the last 2 years taking the clock down to 1 or 2 seconds and chucking up some defended prayer of a shot. So I was much more ok with it even if he would have missed.

Good point, he's taking the shot when it comes available. I'm not a big fan of draining the clock in a 1 possession game, if you don't score it puts all the pressure on your defense to come up with a stop and then you may not have much time left if the other team takes the lead. In a 1 possession game run the offense and get a good shot.

JBos shot was a good one for several reasons.

1) as FM said bc JBo was shooting an open look. That’s as good of a shot as you can expect.
2) there were 37 s left when he shot it. If PSU gets board, they do t get the last shot.
3) a long 3 like that often leads to an offensive board if it doesn’t go through.
4) he made it and since he did, game is essentially over.

JBos shot was a good one for several reasons.

1) as FM said bc JBo was shooting an open look. That’s as good of a shot as you can expect.
2) there were 37 s left when he shot it. If PSU gets board, they do t get the last shot.
3) a long 3 like that often leads to an offensive board if it doesn’t go through.
4) he made it and since he did, game is essentially over.
You don't want many shooters taking that shot, JB is one who needs to take it when it is available.

It's almost like last season, Iowa was really young and right before the year, a 3 year guard transferred out and his back up plan, Connor got hurt and sick. Leaving Iowa inept in the back court. I'm not saying Iowa would have been a tournament team last season, but they certainly were handcuffed in that situation. They were horrible, but in hoops, it only takes a couple of players to look different, to be the line between decent and horrible. I think if Williams stayed, if Connor was healthy, things may have looked different in the W/L column. I put that ALL on Fran. He couldn't figure out how to fix it in season. That's tough, he constructed the roster tho, that's on him.

The off season, Fran pushed a couple of guys on, took the team back to basics on D and they appear to have worked as hard as we heard. I also put that all on Fran, if Fran takes all the heat (he can't coach D, he wants to play his kids more than he wants to win, refuses to get a transfer, can't recruit) when Iowa loses, he should get a bulk of the credit when they are winning. He's probably mid-season COY in the B1G.

For me, that's satisfying. It really is. To come on here and to converse with you guys (my fellow Hawk fans) that turned on him and the team at the first sight of trouble. Let's face it, a lot of posters on here were flat out wrong about a lot of the players and more so, about Fran. Many people saw last season for what it was (like I described in my first paragraph... young team, injury and attrition at a key spot- all Fran's fault). Some poster here tried to make people who saw it as that out as "stupid" or "homers".... inferior to their great basketball expertise. I'm not looking for a fight or an apology - just acknowledgement about how wrong they were. This board was an echo chamber this off season - say something positive about the team and you were dumb. I let a lot of them influence my views as well. Dick move guys! ;)

Last edited:
If I said Iowa was gonna be 15-3 and Cook and Garza were both going to be injured multiple games this season I imagine Lightning1 might have never unblocked me.

You are seeing juniors come out of their shell and start playing like men. Moss and Kriener have improved so much just since November. Cordell looked like he was on track during his brief flashes-hopefully he can do that next year. JBo is playing like a player who been through the war couple times. All great signs for February and hopefully beyond.

It's almost like last season, Iowa was really young and right before the year, a 3 year guard transferred out and his back up plan, Connor got hurt and sick. Leaving Iowa inept in the back court. I'm not saying Iowa would have been a tournament team last season, but they certainly were handcuffed in that situation. They were horrible, but in hoops, it only takes a couple of players to look different, to be the line between decent and horrible. I think if Williams stayed, if Connor was healthy, things may have looked different in the W/L column. I put that ALL on Fran. He couldn't figure out how to fix it in season. That's tough, he constructed the roster tho, that's on him.

The off season, Fran pushed a couple of guys on, took the team back to basics on D and they appear to have worked as hard as we heard. I also put that all on Fran, if Fran takes all the heat (he can't coach D, he wants to play his kids more than he wants to win, refuses to get a transfer, can't recruit) when Iowa loses, he should get a bulk of the credit when they are winning. He's probably mid-season COY in the B1G.

For me, that's satisfying. It really is. To come on here and to converse with you guys (my fellow Hawk fans) that turned on him and the team at the first sight of trouble. Let's face it, a lot of posters on here were flat out wrong about a lot of the players and more so, about Fran on here. Many people saw last season for what it was (like I described in my first paragraph... young team, injury and attrition at a key spot- all Fran's fault). Some poster here tried to make people who saw it as that out as "stupid" or "homers".... inferior to their great basketball expertise. I'm not looking for a fight or an apology - just acknowledgement about how wrong they were. This board was an echo chamber this off season - say something positive about the team and you were dumb. I let a lot of them influence my views as well. Dick move guys! ;)
I am not sure what you are fishing for, but, being disappointed doesn't equate to hatred.

Aren't you also puzzled that Fran "started to coach defense" after many years at Iowa?

Nice to see Iowa headed in the right direction and playing better fundamental BB.

Well done to Fran, the coaches, and players.

For me, that's satisfying. It really is. To come on here and to converse with you guys (my fellow Hawk fans) that turned on him and the team at the first sight of trouble. Let's face it, a lot of posters on here were flat out wrong about a lot of the players and more so, about Fran on here. Many people saw last season for what it was (like I described in my first paragraph... young team, injury and attrition at a key spot- all Fran's fault). Some poster here tried to make people who saw it as that out as "stupid" or "homers".... inferior to their great basketball expertise. I'm not looking for a fight or an apology - just acknowledgement about how wrong they were. This board was an echo chamber this off season - say something positive about the team and you were dumb. I let a lot of them influence my views as well. Dick move guys! ;)

I think you are a little pre-mature posting this, especially considering the upcoming schedule. Illinois is gonna be dog fight, throw their record out when that game happens, but the next 4 games afterwards are brutal. This board will get nasty again, like after the Purdue game, if Iowa goes 1-4 the next 5 games and they are sitting at 5-7 in B10 play.

I've not been a huge Fran supporter, but I'm not a hater either, my thing with Fran is his refusal to address the biggest team weakness and not getting a true point guard. I think last season would have been much better and teams like Purdue and MSU wouldn't have made Iowa looks so terrible this season. Other than that I've liked how he's made adjustments and the players he's brought in.

I am not sure what you are fishing for, but, being disappointed doesn't equate to hatred.

Aren't you also puzzled that Fran "started to coach defense" after many years at Iowa?

Nice to see Iowa headed in the right direction and playing better fundamental BB.

Well done to Fran, the coaches, and players.

I'm not fishing for anything. I just literally said I wasn't looking for a fight or an apology. Right up there. See it? If someone wants to be a jerk over a basketball opinion, that's still an option too, I don't care. I'm sharing the fact that it's satisfying for me as an Iowa fan to have the team playing like it is.... and a lot of that satisfaction stems from dudes who are now being put back in their place. Is that ok? I'm not a victim. Not playing a victim, just enjoying the fruits of a bounce back year after a horrible off season filled with negativity. If there's something wrong with that let me know.

Fran didn't just start coaching defense. That's ridiculous. Iowa had good defensive teams in the past under Fran. Not great, but serviceable. That has a lot to do with his system. Let's be honest, the Gesell & Woody teams weren't great at defense when they were FR and SO either. They were as upperclassmen. Some people can see that.

I think you are a little pre-mature posting this, especially considering the upcoming schedule. Illinois is gonna be dog fight, throw their record out when that game happens, but the next 4 games afterwards are brutal. This board will get nasty again, like after the Purdue game, if Iowa goes 1-4 the next 5 games and they are sitting at 5-7 in B10 play.

I've not been a huge Fran supporter, but I'm not a hater either, my thing with Fran is his refusal to address the biggest team weakness and not getting a true point guard. I think last season would have been much better and teams like Purdue and MSU wouldn't have made Iowa looks so terrible this season. Other than that I've liked how he's made adjustments and the players he's brought in.

I've got em going 7-6 or 6-7 down the stretch - even with that, they are comfortably in the dance. I keep getting told that celebrating this team is "pre-mature" - like I'm being told how to be a fan. I can't enjoy this? I can't enjoy the season as it unfolds? I can't be excited? Will someone tell me when it is ok to enjoy this team or do I have to remain in my corner and wait for something terrible to happen? Iowa is going to lose more games guys and I'll be just fine with it and I'll let you guys throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I'm not fishing for anything. I just literally said I wasn't looking for a fight or an apology. Right up there. See it? If someone wants to be a jerk over a basketball opinion, that's still an option too, I don't care. I'm sharing the fact that it's satisfying for me as an Iowa fan to have the team playing like it is.... and a lot of that satisfaction stems from dudes who are now being put back in their place. Is that ok? I'm not a victim. Not playing a victim, just enjoying the fruits of a bounce back year after a horrible off season filled with negativity. If there's something wrong with that let me know.

Fran didn't just start coaching defense. That's ridiculous. Iowa had good defensive teams in the past under Fran. Not great, but serviceable. That has a lot to do with his system. Let's be honest, the Gesell & Woody teams weren't great at defense when they were FR and SO either. They were as upperclassmen. Some people can see that.
But you are throwing "gotcha jabs" out there, correct?

I don't recall using the word victim, I was just asking about the intent of your comments.

In summary, you are saying you are excited and happy about Iowa's success and also excited that "critics" have been put in their place with the winning, correct? OK

Two major differences. Garza is playing all season like he played at the end of last year. And Joe frickin Wieskamp. Its arguable that hes the best player on the team. When you have a new guy like that, it makes a huge difference. Especially when he plays the biggest position of need from last year. Our 3 spot was downright awful.

I've got em going 7-6 or 6-7 down the stretch - even with that, they are comfortably in the dance. I keep getting told that celebrating this team is "pre-mature" - like I'm being told how to be a fan. I can't enjoy this? I can't enjoy the season as it unfolds? I can't be excited? Will someone tell me when it is ok to enjoy this team or do I have to remain in my corner and wait for something terrible to happen? Iowa is going to lose more games guys and I'll be just fine with it and I'll let you guys throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Absolutely...enjoy it! I know I am and the idea of Iowa getting back to the NCAA tournament after last season is making me giddy. But your post has a little bit of a nose rub in it, I wouldn't rub this in the "haters" noses just yet. The reason people like myself throw cautions at you because we've all seen this script before, get off to a hot start and then stumble down the stretch.

Now if that happens but Iowa still reaches the NCAA tournament, I'll have your back. After last season I didn't think that would be possible, I was thinking NIT. So it's still a HUGE step in the right direction.

But, yeah, who am I to tell you how to fan. Just some friendly cautions that's all.

But you are throwing "gotcha jabs" out there, correct?

I don't recall using the word victim, I was just asking about the intent of your comments.

In summary, you are saying you are excited and happy about Iowa's success and also excited that "critics" have been put in their place with the winning, correct? OK

yep - you got it. I am not really throwing any "gotcha jabs" out there. I didn't get anybody. I just cheer on the team and give my opinions. I wasn't right anything.... but IMO, a whole lot of people were wrong.

I would also avoid posts about who was right or wrong until we know for sure. It is funny how much proof we already have this year that things are different yet how nervous I am that the wheels wont fall off.

Latest posts