Top 10 most under rated Hawkeye Bball players in history

To answer this one you'd really need to clarify if we're talking about underrated by Iowa fans, or underrated by the rest of the country. Woolridge definitely fits into the latter, but Hawk fans definitely appreciated him.

Some players I thought were underrated by Iowa fans:
Chauncey Leslie
Doug Thomas
Sean Sonderleiter
Seth Gorney
Cyrus Tate
Ryan Bowen
Jared Reiner

A few players I thought deserved more respect outside of Iowa:
Andre Woolridge (of course)
Darryl Moore
Greg Brunner
Dean Oliver

Looking back, especially in comparison to the last few years, I think Troy Skinner and Wade Lookingbill were both underrated.

Kevin Boyle has been mentioned so I’ll go with some others on the final four team.
Kenny Arnold
Vince Brookings
Steve Krafison (sp)
Mark Gannon
Others would include
Kevin Gamble
Steve Carfino
Bruce (Sky) King
Andre Banks
And if any of you remember Connie Hawkins he went to Iowa. Freshmen were not allowed to play varsity back then but the freshmen games were a sellout that year I heard, no I didn’t see him play. For you young guys he was Dr. J before Dr. J

Looking back, especially in comparison to the last few years, I think Troy Skinner and Wade Lookingbill were both underrated.

I totally agree with Lookingbill, he played so hard. Skinner was never forgiven for airballing his first college three-point attempt.

Russ Millard comes to mind as well.
Chris Street is another, he is remembered and honored, but I think people do forget just how good of a player he was.

How can you guys be forgetting "Life as a G" Guy Rucker??

In seriousness, I agree with the OP...Val Barnes.

Chris Street is another good one mentioned above. I too think people forget how good that kid was.

Kenyon Murray and Chauncey Leslie were the first two that popped into my head. Woolridge by the rest of the country. I agree with the Street mention as well.

Gotta go with Ronnie Lester. Weird answer considering he is probably the best Hawkeye ever, but I'm not sure people, especially nationally, understand just how great a college player he was. Magic Johnson once said that Lester and Bird were the two best players he played against in college. As much as the rest of the country doesn't appreciate Woolridge, I don't think they appreciate Ronnie Lester nearly enough either. Really, how sad is it that Lester's best two years had to be '79, when maybe the best Big Ten player ever was in the conference, and '80, when he was the leader of maybe the best team in the country, but he hurt himself so badly.

Last edited:
Lester would be up there from what I'm told (I'm only 20 so I don't have a great sample to choose from if I only go off of players I got to watch). I wish like hell I could have seen Chris Street play. The Streets are friends of my family, and Chris had been to our house a few times, but I wasn't old enough to remember it. Never once heard a SINGLE word against him or his character.

OK wow some you are the worst posters ever really Andre Woolridge and Murray underrated really ? I will take the Vanilla Gorilla and Darryl Moore.

OK wow some you are the worst posters ever really Andre Woolridge and Murray underrated really ? I will take the Vanilla Gorilla and Darryl Moore.

Depends what perspective they look at it from. Those guys certainly weren't underrated by Hawk fans. But some have made their picks based on who should have gotten more attention from those outside of Iowa/Big Ten.

Depends what perspective they look at it from. Those guys certainly weren't underrated by Hawk fans. But some have made their picks based on who should have gotten more attention from those outside of Iowa/Big Ten.

Ok its great that you are on here regularly, but that being said you can't possibly say a guy who got runner up for conference mvp is underrated.

Ok its great that you are on here regularly, but that being said you can't possibly say a guy who got runner up for conference mvp is underrated.

I don't really know much about them. I was born in 1990, so I never got to see most of the players getting talked about, and I'm not as much of a basketball guy as I am a football guy.

I don't really know much about them. I was born in 1990, so I never got to see most of the players getting talked about, and I'm not as much of a basketball guy as I am a football guy.

Lester would be up there from what I'm told (I'm only 20 so I don't have a great sample to choose from if I only go off of players I got to watch).

So basically you admitted twice in tread you no nothing about the subject ?

Last edited:
So basically you admitted twice in tread you no nothing about the subject ?

I never actually put out any kind of list. Lester is the only name that I put out, and that's just going off of what I've been told about him. Doesn't sound like he got near enough credit for how good he was. I just said what other folks' reason was for putting Woolridge and Murray on their lists. Never said I did or didn't agree with it.

And for Christ's sake, it's a meaningless thread about underrated Iowa basketball players. No need to be an a**. I didn't kick your dog or anything.

If a person thinks a player deserves to be the conference MVP (which is more or less being rated #1) and the player is the runnerup for the conference MVP (which is more or less being rated #2), then it is logical to think that said player is underrated. If he's rated #2 and should actually be #1, that fits the exact definition of underrated.

Latest posts