Too many players

Garza minutes single handedly killed us tonight. Nunge was killing it and disappeared forever for Wagner who hadn't played all night. I pray Connor is our 2nd best guard because right now, Dailey is better than Moss by far.

For sure. I’d start by cutting Garza and Kriener, both clueless on defense and not extremely effective on O. Bigs would be Cook, Nunge, and Pemsl, occasionally Wagner. Guards/ Wings JBo, Moss, Ellingson, Baer, Dailey.

Garza minutes single handedly killed us tonight. Nunge was killing it and disappeared forever for Wagner who hadn't played all night. I pray Connor is our 2nd best guard because right now, Dailey is better than Moss by far.
That stretch in the 2H when Garza was in cost us the game. Terrible management by Fran.

That stretch in the 2H when Garza was in cost us the game. Terrible management by Fran.
He coaches his teams like a Y team. Trying to keep everyone happy and making sure everyone gets their minutes instead of keeping the guys out there who look like they are in a rythym or who has the hot hand. His substitutions kill the ebb and flow of the offense

He coaches his teams like a Y team. Trying to keep everyone happy and making sure everyone gets their minutes instead of keeping the guys out there who look like they are in a rythym or who has the hot hand. His substitutions kill the ebb and flow of the offense
Totally agree. When Cook finally got back into the game in the 2H he wasn’t in the flow at all and made some bad decisions. Granted he had an off night all together but he has a better chance to find a rhythm if he gets more minutes.

Nunge sitting down for awhile was also a real head scratcher.

Can you have too many players if most of them suck?

Yep, that is becoming evident. Here are the list of B1G quality players on our team right now: Bohannon, Baer, Nunge and Cook.

The rest are roll players at best on every other B1G team. I think Garza and Moss can and will be B1G quality players, they just aren't playing that way now, and more than likely won't the rest of this year.

Either Baer is still a little rusty or he is regressing. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that he is coming back from injury.

Yep, that is becoming evident. Here are the list of B1G quality players on our team right now: Bohannon, Baer, Nunge and Cook.

The rest are roll players at best on every other B1G team. I think Garza and Moss can and will be B1G quality players, they just aren't playing that way now, and more than likely won't the rest of this year.

I would say our best players are Cook, Nunge, Baer, Pemsl, and Bohannon. Sprinkle in Moss and Dailey for athleticism, and I think those are the 7 players you ride for 95% of the minutes.

How many top 20 teams in div one try to play with 10-11 players. It's unheard of. It's ridiculous! I say FRAN"S OUT!!!!

Starting to agree. If you are gunna do that, you might as well use everyone to their fullest advantage and all out full court hard press the entire game to keep all involved in the game with constant substitutions and bank on you are going to tire the other team out. Otherwise don't seeing it work.

Pemsl? I think he can get there too.

For sure. I’d start by cutting Garza and Kriener, both clueless on defense and not extremely effective on O. Bigs would be Cook, Nunge, and Pemsl, occasionally Wagner. Guards/ Wings JBo, Moss, Ellingson, Baer, Dailey.

I actually think Kriener is one of the bright spots. I'd like to see him have more minutes.

The thing that annoys me is college basketball players play 2 games a week at most. This isn't the NBA where you're playing back to back nights in different cities. Just play your best players 30+ minutes. There's enough tv timeouts, free throws and halftime to catch your breath.

Well, if not Grinnell, here is the LMU vs LSU (Shaq is in this game) game back in 1990. LMU lost 146-141 in overtime. They full court press, run the fast break, and drop back into 2-3 zone on defense to catch their breath. Paul Westhead had himself quite the team here.

Melrose provided a great article in another post https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...th-25-years-bo-kimble-paul-westhead/24447175/

They made it all the way to the Elite 8 and players on that team suggest they might have won it all had Hank Gathers not died that year.

If the Hawks played with as much heart as this team did (or a Mr. Davis team) and even looked average with fundamentals.....wouldn't that be nice. Worth taking a look at this game.

Latest posts