Tony Perkins Puts Hawkeyes on Top After Official Visit, Then Commits

Connor talked about it in a radio interview. I think Hwakeye nation made it into a podcast. He said some days Patrick shows up to practice feeling good and some days are really bad. He said the most important thing is trying to keep his spirit up. Honestly it didn't sound great.

I think it's probably 70/30 that he never plays again, unfortunately.

You should find it and give it a listen. I think it was just last week. Connor is a great interview.
I should.

I could be completely wrong and I am no health expert, but to me if it was as bad as he might never play again why would he be practicing right now shooting before and after games and traveling with the team to road games? I would think the main focus at that point would just be getting his health in order for his everyday life outside of basketball. Again I could be wrong.

Pat is a super strong kid that much I’m sure of and he loves basketball. With the help of medical experts I’m sure they will put him in the best position to be able to play and succeed and Pat’s toughness will overcome. That’s why I’m pretty confident he will play and have a nice career here.

Assuming everyone comes back, this is how I see it shaking out:

PG - JBO; 28 mins
SG - CJF; 30 mins
SF - JW; 30 mins
PF - CM; 27 mins
C - LG; 31 mins

Nunge - 15 mins
JT - 15 mins
Pemsl - 12 mins
Perkins - 12 mins

Total - 200 mins

I don't think PMAC plays a game in an Iowa uniform again....just my guy feeling. I think Uhlis redshirts with JBO and JT both getting the PG minutes. And I think the Murray brothers and Ogundele also redshirt.

I could see Ogundale not redshirting with only 3 other post players on the roster and 2 of them being seniors. For sure if Pemsl doesn't come back. Only having 3 this year has been difficult when foul trouble hits.

I could see Ogundale not redshirting with only 3 other post players on the roster and 2 of them being seniors. For sure if Pemsl doesn't come back. Only having 3 this year has been difficult when foul trouble hits.
I could see him not redshirting but not being part of the regular rotation. If foul trouble arises he can play for some spot minutes. That’s really not unheard of at all in college basketball.

Olaseni for instance only played in 9 conference games his freshman year.

I could see him not redshirting but not being part of the regular rotation. If foul trouble arises he can play for some spot minutes. That’s really not unheard of at all in college basketball.

Olaseni for instance only played in 9 conference games his freshman year.

I wish basketball would get a similar rule to football where players can retain a redshirt if they only play 8 or 9 games. Then we wouldn't have this dilemma of whether we should redshirt a player and just deal with a short rotation or burn a redshirt for someone for 5 mins of spot duty in 10 games.

Unless someone transfers or Wieskamp leaves early the rotation will already be about 10 guys with only returning players. Not a lot of minutes available for a true freshman backcourt player barring injuries.

JBo, Connor, JoeT and CJ probably eat up all 80 minutes at the 1 and 2. Wieskamp will get 30 at the 3. PMac if healthy fits best at the 3 and I see him getting the remaining 10 at the 3. Nunge and Garza will get around 60 at the 4 and 5 positions. If Pemsl returns then he will get 10 MPG at the 4-5. That leaves 10 MPG to either also go to PMac or we play small as we have most of this year and have Connor play the 4 in short spurts.

If Pemsl transfers then that opens up more minutes at the 4 and 5 which could either go to the Murrays or Ogundale. Or we play small more often. I don't foresee PMac being able to handle much more than 15 MPG since he still has problems being able to even practice consistently. If he still isnt healthy they I could see Perkins getting some minutes next year. I also do think that Joe T could end up being more of a 10 MPG guy next year if he doesn't improve getting out of control.

The more I think about it the more I think that there is potential for either Perkins or Ulis to have a role playing 5 or 10 MPG most nights. But the leash would be short for both if they struggle. But I dont see a 13 man rotation for next year.
why do WE talk about this all the time. FOR ONCE IN OUR LIVES (outside Davis’ first 2 seasons), we MIGHT have depth. That’s great. Don’t you know that Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, MSU, ad naseum ALL go THIRTEEN DEEP with 4-5 star guys, EVERY YEAR, for last 40+ years. Not a ‘problem’ for them.

Yet, anytime we have a few decent players and ‘only one ball’, it’s a ‘problem’and we have to try to make a case why half the team should declare or transfer. ENOUGH PLEASE.

A LOT can, and always does happen, in the off season, especially to us. Quit being negative about potentially being ‘too good’. Hopefully this talk doesn’t end up in front of players or recruits

why do WE talk about this all the time. FOR ONCE IN OUR LIVES (outside Davis’ first 2 seasons), we MIGHT have depth. That’s great. Don’t you know that Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, MSU, ad naseum ALL go THIRTEEN DEEP with 4-5 star guys, EVERY YEAR, for last 40+ years. Not a ‘problem’ for them.

Yet, anytime we have a few decent players and ‘only one ball’, it’s a ‘problem’and we have to try to make a case why half the team should declare or transfer. ENOUGH PLEASE.

A LOT can, and always does happen, in the off season, especially to us. Quit being negative about potentially being ‘too good’. Hopefully this talk doesn’t end up in front of players or recruits

While Kentucky has had a few years where they went 10 deep in recent years. No team goes 13 deep. I challenge you to find one top 25 team that plays 13 players consistently more than 5 MPG. Granted I only looked at box scores of the teams that you mentioned but even a 10 man rotation is basically unheard of. Theres a reason that when Kentucky had the team that Tyler Ulis was on that would do full 5 man lineup changes and played 10 players significantly, that it was a national story of while they had a 10 man rotation. Most teams play 8 or 9 players consistently. You see them occasionally have another 1 or 2 additional players play a couple minutes because there was foul trouble. But for the most part the best teams have 7-8 man rotations as Iowa has had this year. The difference for Iowa is that they really only have 8 guys that can play with Till used purely in emergency situations.

While Kentucky has had a few years where they went 10 deep in recent years. No team goes 13 deep. I challenge you to find one top 25 team that plays 13 players consistently more than 5 MPG. Granted I only looked at box scores of the teams that you mentioned but even a 10 man rotation is basically unheard of. Theres a reason that when Kentucky had the team that Tyler Ulis was on that would do full 5 man lineup changes and played 10 players significantly, that it was a national story of while they had a 10 man rotation. Most teams play 8 or 9 players consistently. You see them occasionally have another 1 or 2 additional players play a couple minutes because there was foul trouble. But for the most part the best teams have 7-8 man rotations as Iowa has had this year. The difference for Iowa is that they really only have 8 guys that can play with Till used purely in emergency situations.

It is rare, but Florida State has been doing this the past few years. This year, they have 11 players averaging more than 9 minutes per game and have played at least 23 games. They had 11 players average more than 10 minutes a game last year as well.

FSU leads the ACC this year at 24-4 overall and 14-3 in the conference.

They are the exception, not the rule. :)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/florida-state/2020.html

I dont think he meant that all 13 players play significant minutes but that their fans dont worry if a really talented guy might not play or might transfer. You dont have to worry when you are a blue blood very often. And some guys will bide their time playing for Duke etc.

Iowa may once in awhile have a guy like Moss who maybe thought he should be playing 30+ minutes a game decide to go chase a ring.

I dont think he meant that all 13 players play significant minutes but that their fans dont worry if a really talented guy might not play or might transfer. You dont have to worry when you are a blue blood very often. And some guys will bide their time playing for Duke etc.

Iowa may once in awhile have a guy like Moss who maybe thought he should be playing 30+ minutes a game decide to go chase a ring.

You could be right that I missed the sarcasm in the post. Its difficult to see, especially next year when we will potentially have 2 all Big 10 players, that there would be enough minutes for 11 players. To be happy with that role. These things do seem to always work themselves out though and we will probably see some attrition either after this year or after next year.

Back on topic now. The last few gatorade players of the year that Iowa has gotten (CJ, Garza, and Wieskamp) have turned out pretty good and Perkins from what I've read is making a case to be his state's player of the year this season. From the beginning he has been the recruit I've been most excited about.

How did Fran pull this guy in? Guard court looking tough moving forward!

Funny how it coincides with FB finally shoring up their WR shortcomings.

How did Fran pull this guy in? Guard court looking tough moving forward!

Funny how it coincides with FB finally shoring up their WR shortcomings.

Iowa was the only P5 offer that he got. I just checked 247 and Perkins is ranked as the 10th best player in Indiana. Those rankings are mostly based on when scouts see these kids at AAU tournaments. I see this kid as more of a slasher 3 position player that can hit the open 3 than a guard. And can post up smaller players.

Latest posts