Tom Osborne Quote on Iowa-Nebraska game..

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
"Any alignment where Nebraska wouldn't play Iowa would not be as well received by our fans,"

That was from Osborne to ESPN...it wasn't an Iowa reporter asking that question, but a national writer.

It seems NE wants to play Iowa as much as Iowa wants to play NE. It should be a good series. Almost as good as ISU/NE I would say.

Clearly an Iowa/Nebby game is going to happen. I have ZERO concern about it. If both teams remain highly competitive, I can see this rivalry becoming a national thing. Obviously, there's a lot of tradition with other rivalries, but this one could be right up there

As a Nebraska fan living in Iowa, there is no one looking forward to this rivalry more than me. My only hope is that it doesn't get ugly, as I fear it will. I have a lot of respect for Kirk Ferentz and what he has done at Iowa over the last 8 years or so. We are getting back up to respectability and I just hope this is much more like the NU/OU rivalry as opposed to the NU/CU "supposed rivalry". There has always been a lot of respect back and forth between NU and OU, but CU has always lacked the class to really embrace a rivalry with them.

I wish you guys all the luck in the world, and hopefully we will be meeting Thanksgiving weekend next year. When you make your trek to Memorial stadium, I will be there welcoming each and every one of you.

Now, please beat the buckeyes this year. :)

Iowa-Nebraska will be a major rivalry. Sorry, IS-Who, no more clowning around!

Jon: I just caught the tail end of Miller & Deace this morning. Heard you say Osborne mentioned Minnesota and Iowa as schools they'd like to play every year, otherwise their fans would be disappointed, or something like that.

Was the context that he was asked an open ended question about divisions, rivalries, etc, and he mentioned both Iowa and Nebraska but not Wisconsin?

It's occurred to me that Delany might not be too thrilled with the public campaigning coming from Alvarez and Bielema about a Wisky-N.U. season ender. I'm wondering if Osborne might see that as tacky as well.

As a Nebraska fan living in Iowa, there is no one looking forward to this rivalry more than me. My only hope is that it doesn't get ugly, as I fear it will. I have a lot of respect for Kirk Ferentz and what he has done at Iowa over the last 8 years or so. We are getting back up to respectability and I just hope this is much more like the NU/OU rivalry as opposed to the NU/CU "supposed rivalry". There has always been a lot of respect back and forth between NU and OU, but CU has always lacked the class to really embrace a rivalry with them.

I wish you guys all the luck in the world, and hopefully we will be meeting Thanksgiving weekend next year. When you make your trek to Memorial stadium, I will be there welcoming each and every one of you.

Likewise with you and the Longhorns

With a 9 game B10 schedule is it possible that each Big Ten school could 'protect' 3 rivalry games thereby creating within 2 divisions 3 rivalry pods if you will.

Rivalry Pod #1:
Michigan
Ohio State
Michigan State
Penn State

Rivalry Pod#2:
Illinois
Purdue
Indiana
Northwestern

Rivalry Pod#3:
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Nebraska

As part of the scheduling the teams within each pod with play intra-pod games the last 3 weeks of the season. Every 2 years a team's last game of the year will rotate between the 3 other teams in that pod. So over a 6 year period Iowa would end the season with Nebraska twice, Minnesota twice and Wisconsin twice and then the rotation would start over.

So instead of having a traditional rivalry 'week' the month of November becomes rivalry 'month'.

Many of the rivalry games already have a trophy and all it would take for Nebraska to create one with Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin which I am sure will happen anyway. The three of Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa already have trophy for each of their games.

Just my thought.

iahawk72

Unfortunately it's going to get ugly. I don't think there's anyway around that fact. Two passionate delusional fan bases tend to do that. ;)

Unfortunately it's going to get ugly. I don't think there's anyway around that fact. Two passionate delusional fan bases tend to do that. ;)

Probably the most logical unfortunate outcome of a Nebby/Iowa rivalry. It's unfortunate that the mouthy %5 usually outweighs the 95% sane majority in most cases.

I think your rrivalry pods make alot of sense, but OSU & Michigan will always be the last game of the year and Iowa Minnesota or Iowa Nebraska/Minnesota Wisconsin should be the last game of the year as well.

Couldn't have said it any better myself, Kirk Ferentz is a helluva coach. As a Husker fan, I hope Nebraska's new rivarlies in the Big 10 are fierece on game week with tons of good natured smack and ribbing of one another (like the CornHoler bit on Soundoff a few weeks ago...that was funny) and during the other 51 weeks of the year, each others fan bases can have a rivarly of mutual respect of each other's programs, tradition, and history because there is a ton of football history and tradition in this league, and as I learn more about the Big 10, it's much more than what I had ever envisoned.

Last edited:
One of the positives Osborne cited when NU joined the Big 10..

"Any alignment where Nebraska wouldn't play Iowa would not be as well received by our fans,"

That was from Osborne to ESPN...it wasn't an Iowa reporter asking that question, but a national writer.

was that travel wouldn't be all that much more difficult for Husker fans than it was before. He stressed that the Big 10 had a lot of places where it was very easy to fly into from Omaha as well as some reasonable drives for Husker fans (Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern). Iowa is by far the closest to Lincoln (300 miles) so it makes a lot of sense from Nebraska's standpoint.

Interesting the amount of overt campaigning being done by Brewster and Bielema. Brewster for the games with Iowa and Wisconsin and Bielema for Nebraska. If I were betting, I would say that Iowa-Nebraska gets moved to annual end-of season game, Wisconsin and Minnesota gets moved to end of season game (one of oldest rivalries in the country).

Likewise with you and the Longhorns

The whole thing with Texas has been way over blown. This has never really been a rivalry and there is a lot of respect both ways. If people actually listen to the people in charge at both Universities, they will tell you that there ideas are more aligned with each other than any other university in the big 12. The presidents and chancellors actually get along extremely well and have worked together on a lot of projects.

The whole thing with Texas has been way over blown. This has never really been a rivalry and there is a lot of respect both ways. If people actually listen to the people in charge at both Universities, they will tell you that there ideas are more aligned with each other than any other university in the big 12. The presidents and chancellors actually get along extremely well and have worked together on a lot of projects.

Exactly right. Nebraska fans and administrates, especially Tom Osborne, had no problem with Texas giving them a 72 hour ultimatum to pledge their loyalty to the Big 12. Even though Texas refused to do the same. The uneven revenue sharing and media exposure were also no problem for Nebraska. They knew their place and completely accepted that Texas was the Premiere team in the Big 12.

With a potential 9 games schedule all rival games will remain intact just one less guarantee game and what is the lose of that

Latest posts