Tom Izzo thinks the firing was disgusting

Spank, how many more articles will you find to offer your love/support/and remorse for Lickliter?

I'm not sure people understand my stance. I thought Lickliter deserved one more year. I don't know how that's a "love".

Someone sent me this article, I posted it. There's no agenda by me whatsoever.

I wonder what Tom Izzo thought about Michigan St's decision to let go of John L Smith a few years back? Maybe they should have given him a liftetime contract to see if he could ever figure out how to win football games. It's ok when MSU did it in football, but not ok for Iowa to fire their head basketball coach. Ok Tiny Tom.

You know you made the right move when other coaches from very good programs are praising your coach. In other words they want to count on beating your brains in 2 or 3 times per year....

What does this have to do with the article storminspank posted? I swear some of you guys nitpick the guy to death. He's made one or two bad statements and predictions this year and you rake him over the coals. You never once bring up the stuff he gets right you only rip on him for the stuff he gets wrong and that makes you all look pretty petty and stupid. For once give him credit for the things he does. Some of you guys are just downright petty. I don't post often but I do read this site a lot and I think he does a good job. Time for some of you to get a life and stop being so narrowed minded.

He was pretty consistent with praise for Alford, and then for Lick. Why would he wish for a coach to come to IOWA and be successful, as it would make his job more difficult.

Spank, how many more articles will you find to offer your love/support/and remorse for Lickliter?

Spank is a grown up and can defend himself if he feels he needs to... however, I have been reading some fairly disturbing stuff today on attacking Spank for his opinion that Lick deserved one more year. I have read enough of Spank's work to know that he loves the Hawks and tries to find the positive with the Hawk bball program. Shame on him! I don't think he posted this link to show his support/love for Lick or whatever. I think he was doing his job and passing along information that most of us would find interesting. I think he has also said that if Gatens and Fuller rumors are true, then Lick needed to go.

However, I also believe (not knowing him personally) that he has pretty good sources and knew that the incoming class (one of our best of the last decade) were going to be very unhappy if Lick was not retained. Regardless of his information and what he draws his conclusions from, there is no need to pull up articles from 5-6 months ago and call him out on his opinions/analysis. Its a great thing to disagree/debate, but no need to get personal about it. It has been an emotionally charged last 5 or so days and Lick has been polarizing, but c'mon... I think most fans whether they have supported Lick or not have now moved on.

Is "scandalistically" a word? I might have opted simply for "scandalously", but I'm not an English major or anything.

Izzo states that he doesn't know TL all that well, so he would say the firing of any coach is disgusting. If Izzo has the worst 3 year run in MSU history he will find himself without a job because everyone would be saying that his time has passed time to get new blood. Every coach has the same opinion. I would like to see one quote from any college coach in America that says "ya the coach deserved to get axed." Will never hear a coach say that so when you read something like this it doesn't matter.

Now, if at some point, Izzo has ever said a firing was justified then his remarks would hold some water. If I asked him if thought the firing of the coach of PoDunk State Junior College he would have the same remark disgusting, and he would have no clue whether it was true or not.

He was pretty consistent with praise for Alford, and then for Lick. Why would he wish for a coach to come to IOWA and be successful, as it would make his job more difficult.

I found that interesting as well. He has been consistant in his praise of SA but TL "walked into a crap situation"
So which is it Tom? You cant have it both ways. If SA was a great coach and doing a wonderful job, why would TL be walking into crap?
You dont have to answer that Tom, I'll answer it for you.
SA turned a good situation to crap and TL added more fecies to the pile.

Remember if we ever turn things around we want our coach to praise those coaches who we dominate.

Izzo apparently doesn't know hoops history in the Big Ten.

He thinks Amaker's firing was disgusting? And Monson?

Amaker was at Michigan for *six* seasons without a single NCAA tournament appearance. No wonder Izzo loved having that type of coach as an in-state rival.

Monson was at Minnesota for seven seasons, and did just barely better. He had a single NCAA appearance in those seven years.

Izzo's comments strike me as entirely disingenous. Michigan and Minnesota were more than patient with those coaches. Especially Michigan when one considers the resources that athletic department commands.

I wonder where most D1 coaches would be if someone hadn't been fired ahead of them. It's the very nature of the business that gives so many an opportunity and it's not really a bad deal.

Life is like that in more than just coaching. The better the job the greater the pressure to perform. In many professions your one shot is unpaid and just that a one shot deal.

Don't mind me, I'm just here recording all of your conversations, in case there are some "violations"

troll-web.jpg

I realize that I'm always bringing up the real world...but he brings up a good point...if you had a friend or colleague who confided in you that he was considering taking a position with a company that you had knowledge of and you happened to know that they regularly fired people in the position your friend/colleague was seeking...what would you say?

Undoubtedly he's a little fired up and made some comments he probably regrets...but I'm not surprised that he doesn't like the idea of firing Big Ten basketball coaches who do things the right way and who you can at least question whether they were given enough time to turn things around or not. It's got to hit home with Izzo.

The main point that I took away from this (probably because it's one that I have been thinking anyway) is that the Iowa job becomes less and less desirable to big time coaches every time this happens and our fan base is only making it worse...please please please please try and support the next coach...even if you don't like his hairstyle.

Latest posts