Todd McShay 2020 Mock Draft--Whoa!

McShay has loved Stanley for awhile, until the Penn State game, then there were references he made to throws high school QBs should be able to make (which, of course was true in that game). I hope he's right with this current projection, as Iowa will need the "good" Stanley all year.

I think he's a little light on AJ. There were 4 DEs drafted in the first 16 picks this year. AJ ranks with them, I think.
If AJ's pro comp is JJ Watt, as has been suggested, he will go top ten at the latest. He could go top four or five.

If you throw 52 TD’s in this offense, which is challenged to say the least, in two years....???you’re gonna get a hard look. Our fans and most fans in general, for whatever reason, downgrade some of our most talented players every season in most sports. No one eats there own like Hawkeyes.

The same posters who say Stanley won’t go in the first round are the same ones saying two TE’s would never go in the first round immediately after last season ended. That said Iowa wouldn’t make the NCAA this year because of last year.

It’s fine, it’s all of us just projecting but....

Don’t act like ya know, cause ya don’t. No one does, the 2019 season hasn’t been played yet making it virtually impossible to project, but based on numbers and intangibles, Stanley has 1st round potential and no argument at this point and time can really be made against that.

If AJ's pro comp is JJ Watt, as has been suggested, he will go top ten at the latest. He could go top four or five.
I'll be surprised if AJ isnt a top 5 pick. He will be borderline the first DE taken and that's as valuable pick as their is now. Just depends on the teams picking in those spots and their needs

I invited AJ, NS, TW, and Hankins to let me represent them as a sports agent ahead of next years nfl draft, I can also introduce them into some very lucrative virtual coin opportunities.

These experts can’t even get a mock half correct a day before the draft, now we are looking at mocks one year in advance. This just proves how lost we are without football. Lol

Hope Wirfs and Jackson have long enough arms. Gallery suffered because of that.
If I remember right, Riley Reiff had that same problem.

ReiffTinyArms3.jpg

I will eat a hat (to be determined by a popular vote of posters on Hawkeye Nation - limitations apply, such as hat must be made of cloth) if Stanley is drafted in the first round of the NFL draft.

Can we please have a scout tell us what they see that we don’t because I’ve seen every game he’s played and he looks like a day 3 guy to me.

In his first 2020 mock draft, The Atheltic's Dane Brugler mocked Iowa junior T Tristan Wirfs to the New York Giants with the No. 7 overall selection.
"If [Wirfs] continues on his strong play from last season, [he] absolutely has top-10 potential," Brugler writes of the 6-foot-5, 320-pounder, noting that the Iowa product is a "powerful drive-blocker in the run game." What's most immediately notable about the 2020 class is its initial balance. Whereas the 2019 class was dominated by a slew of elite defensive lineman, 2020 mixes it up nicely, scattering in a fair bit more offensive talent, especially at wide receiver and running back, but also on the offensive line. To whit, Brugler sees three linemen (Wirfs, Andrew Thomas, Walker Little) landing as top-10 selections next spring.

Is that comp accurate? JJ Watt has been playing between 290-300 lbs. for quite awhile now. JJ can play on the inside, we don't know if AJE can. The better comp would probably be Joey Bosa.

AJE is projected top 5 in a lot of mocks. Top 10 in most. I would be very surprised if he fell outside the top 10. Especially with how defensive lineman are drafted now.

Tony Mandarich disease. And like Tony, Gallery was able to salvage his career by moving to guard for a couple seasons.
Coincidentally, in a recent interview with Jeremy Schaap, Mandarich admitted that he was heavily into steroids while at MSU. He was forced to stop when he entered the NFL, which, obviously, led to a severe decline in his muscle mass and energy.

In the interview, he also shared that he developed an addiction to pain killers around the same time, stating that he was taking up to 60 tablets daily, often combining them with alcohol.

As a long-term Packers fan, I still can't get over the fact that the Packers picked him ahead of Barry Sanders. :eek:

Coincidentally, in a recent interview with Jeremy Schaap, Mandarich admitted that he was heavily into steroids while at MSU. He was forced to stop when he entered the NFL, which, obviously, led to a severe decline in his muscle mass and energy.

In the interview, he also shared that he developed an addiction to pain killers around the same time, stating that he was taking up to 60 tablets daily, often combining them with alcohol.

As a long-term Packers fan, I still can't get over the fact that the Packers picked him ahead of Barry Sanders. :eek:
Before George Perles became Michigan State head coach in the 1980's, he was defensive line coach for the Steelers during their 1970's super bowl run. Pittsburgh was one of the first NFL teams to revolutionize weight training, and not coincidentally one of the first to be associated with steroid use. Perles was involved at both schools. Mandarich, even when in college, was training at Gold's Gyms with professional bodybuilders like Rory Leidelmeier and Mike Quinn, heavy steroid users.

Rick Telender, a well known sportswriter in the 1980's and 90's, wrote a couple articles for Sports Illustrated on Mandarich. The Incredible Bulk and The Incredible Bust.

Before George Perles became Michigan State head coach in the 1980's, he was defensive line coach for the Steelers during their 1970's super bowl run. Pittsburgh was one of the first NFL teams to revolutionize weight training, and not coincidentally one of the first to be associated with steroid use. Perles was involved at both schools. Mandarich, even when in college, was training at Gold's Gyms with professional bodybuilders like Rory Leidelmeier and Mike Quinn, heavy steroid users.

Rick Telender, a well known sportswriter in the 1980's and 90's, wrote a couple articles for Sports Illustrated on Mandarich. The Incredible Bulk and The Incredible Bust.
Yes, along with Oakland.

Lyle Alzado's story is a tragically good example of what steroids can do long term.

I remember reading those articles, which were speculative at the time. It took several years for Mandarich to admit to the steroid use, not that it wasn't obvious to everyone (except for the Packers' scouts it seems). Even Dave Haight was implying it while Mandarich was still a junior.

I saw that E:60 as well. What I found fascinating is that he is currently a well known photographer and most of his clientele doesn't even know he played in the NFL.

He stated he wasn't smart enough to beat the NFL testing. You think if Mandarich was coming up now he would figure out how to get around PED testing? Mandarich was a big guy and a good athlete before the roids(and after).....taking the roids made him a freak of nature.

2020 Draft:

AJE- top 10 without question. (barring injury)

Wirfs- 1st round, possibly moving into top 10 if he can improve run blocking. A few pancakes on tape would be helpful.

Gholston- 2nd-3rd round. Monster season would give him a chance to move up to 1st round.

Jackson- 3rd-4th round. Another guy who could move up significantly but also seems to play under the radar. Combine could be huge for him and hype could build from there.

Stanley- 3rd- 6th round. A true wild card player, you never know which Stanley will show up. For that reason alone, he will not be a high draft pick. There’s already enough poor tape on Stanley to leave questions in every GMs head. His size, measurables and experience will get him drafted but I believe he starts the season as a 6/7th rounder and his on field performance will determine how high he climbs.

Possible late round draft picks- Geno Stone, Ojemudia

Long shots but possible with a Josh Jackson type season- Brandon Smith, ISM, Colbert, Drew Cook (NFL pedigree gets him a look) D. Nixon (if he lives up to the hype, he could go one and done at IA)

2020 will be Hawks best draft in Ferentz era but the question remains, can we turn all these Draft picks into a 10+ win season?

How many of these mocks had Hockenson going at No. 8 at this time last year?
ZERO. It's interesting, during the games, you don't get to focus on Hock's blocking very often. I know the highlights are highlights, but I saw a longer clip of his blocking the other day and damn...it's no wonder he went #8...he instantly makes your run game and your passing game better. And he comes with an attitude in the running game. I don't think I've seen a TE punish college corners and safeties like that. Once he gets ahold inside...he just drives you to the ground.

I'll be surprised if AJ isnt a top 5 pick. He will be borderline the first DE taken and that's as valuable pick as their is now. Just depends on the teams picking in those spots and their needs

Inevitably some blue blood will have some guy that tests like a freak at the combine. AJ falls to #2 or #3 DE in the draft. Still should be good enough to be a top 15 pick.

Latest posts