Todd McShay 2020 Mock Draft--Whoa!

I would say that Stanley reminds me more of JVB (the 2011 version) than he does of Beathard or Rudock

JVB and Stanley both have strong, but not very accurate, arms. Both looked awful moving in the pocket.

I know Rudock does not get a lot of credit but he actually was a decent runner when he was healthy. Stanley simply is no threat as a runner, and that limits the offense.

The 52 TD's in 2 seasons likely has nothing to do with it I am sure.

That's a per season TD # for some teams in college football. His stats don't pop. However when you apply logic that he is in a pro style offense for a run heavy scheme then it looks alot better.

Here's how I think it breaks down for Stanley.

Pro's: Big, strong, mobile, smart.

Con's: Confidence, touch, and on field awareness.

I think alot of NFL teams will see that mold and believe they can teach those cons away. I believe Stanley gets drafted in rounds 3 or 4 if he matches last season and makes no improvement. However if he fixes the confidence or touch cons then he will go higher. If he fixes both which is a long shot then he could absolutely be a 1st rounder.

It's going to be tough though. Stanley doesn't have his two ambiguously all world saftey blankets. I hope he gets the chemistry sizzling with Nico because the slot work that kid was doing in spring game was straight Patriots style. It could be the remedy for losing a TE tandem like we did.

That's a per season TD # for some teams in college football. His stats don't pop. However when you apply logic that he is in a pro style offense for a run heavy scheme then it looks alot better.

I think alot of NFL teams will see that mold and believe they can teach those cons away. I believe Stanley gets drafted in rounds 3 or 4 if he matches last season and makes no improvement. However if he fixes the confidence or touch cons then he will go higher. If he fixes both which is a long shot then he could absolutely be a 1st rounder.

It's going to be tough though. Stanley doesn't have his two ambiguously all world saftey blankets. I hope he gets the chemistry sizzling with Nico because the slot work that kid was doing in spring game was straight Patriots style. It could be the remedy for losing a TE tandem like we did.

I think that sums it up perfectly.
I don't know how confident or lack there of he is. I think his ability to thread the needle is where his biggest shot at climbing the board lies. I'm not talking a crossing receiver, drill it in there thread the needle, he is extremely good at that, I'm talking back shoulder or just in front of (fade) a receiver on the edges.
Without looking up the stats, I would say he is above average across the middle of the field. (Factor in drops where the pass was there and I bet his completion % is almost excellent). Now we can say that some of his development on the edges has to do with the fact that for much of the beginning of his career, he really didn't have much for targets out there. But this year will be his best chance (most experience he's had out there) to prove he can make those throws, regardless of who's out there.
He's got all the physical tools to play on Sunday. His center of the field game has been established.

I will eat a hat (to be determined by a popular vote of posters on Hawkeye Nation - limitations apply, such as hat must be made of cloth) if Stanley is drafted in the first round of the NFL draft.

I’ll eat my hat if AJE drops below 15

It wouldn't shock me at all to see a team like the Patriots or Steelers take a flyer on Nate Stanley. In fact I think the Patriots make a lot of sense. They play a very similar offense to Iowa and make the most of a non-mobile QB. That's probably the ideal situation for Stanley. Spend a few years learning from the best in a very similar offense.

The 2020 QB class seems stacked right now with talent, so I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that Stanley is not a first rounder.

Inevitably some blue blood will have some guy that tests like a freak at the combine. AJ falls to #2 or #3 DE in the draft. Still should be good enough to be a top 15 pick.
Perhaps. That's possible too. I just think hes got everything you want. Hes like the Bosa brothers with about 10 to 15 more LBs of size. 6'5 280ish with the pass rush moves and strength he has will be tough to pass on for those in need. If he has a great year and shows he can play the run (to me that's his main question. Hows he hold up as an every down player?) Time will tell

Stanley has a live arm, he's big and sturdy, he has almost no injury history, and he's been rather productive in college.

He's definitely getting some NFL consideration. If he can get over the 60% mark (he was a hair away from doing so this season), and stay healthy, his stock is gonna go up.
Packers select Stanley, 4th round, value pick.

I hear you on the numbers, but Stanley's Jekell and Hyde inconsistency is what will put him on the Saturday draft board. Personally, I think if he has another year like last year he'll go UDFA. NFL teams don't want a guy who shows no confidence, and they especially don't want one where they don't know which QB will show up on game day.

When Nate is good he's good, but when he's bad he's astoundingly bad.
Agree to all this. I hope he shakes the gips and misses and goes All bolas out! But I have to see it to believe it

Mock Draft Wirfs at 6 and AJ at 7

Round 1 - Pick 6
Tristan Wirfs OL
IOWA - SOPH - 6'5 / 320 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Jacksonville Jaguars

Wirfs would need a big season to ultimately land in the top 10, but a handful of players fly up draft boards every year. Wirfs was an overpowering blocker as a sophomore in 2018.

Round 1 - Pick 7
A.J. Epenesa DE
IOWA - SOPH - 6'5 / 277 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Another power player from Iowa, Epenesa oftentimes overshadowed Anthony Nelson last season on the edge. While not a speed-predicated defensive lineman, Epenesa moves well for his listed weight of 280 pounds at 6-foot-6. He understands the importance of using pass-rushing moves to win too. The Buccaneers still need help on the outside of their defensive line.
The KF coverts 2 stars into NFL picks is the main story line but I think Iowa should push the current one.

The 2 highest rated recruits Iowa has had commit are both getting Top 10 NFL draft live. The new narrative is if your a 4/5 star willing to work we’ll put you in the primo spots for a payday NFL.

Just my Kool-aid thoughts

The KF coverts 2 stars into NFL picks is the main story line but I think Iowa should push the current one.

The 2 highest rated recruits Iowa has had commit are both getting Top 10 NFL draft live. The new narrative is if your a 4/5 star willing to work we’ll put you in the primo spots for a payday NFL.

Just my Kool-aid thoughts

Well there will be a strong case for that new narrative after this next draft. I sure hope we can capitalize immediately on a recruiting boost from it because we are going to have a bunch of great guys to replace.

The Giants taking a huge risk with Daniel Jones supports everything you are saying by a 1000.

I always wondered how the Georgia or LSU fans felt when they have tons of high draft picks after years that are just okay or they can't seem to win the big game.

I always wondered how the Georgia or LSU fans felt when they have tons of high draft picks after years that are just okay or they can't seem to win the big game.

"At least they play to win", is, I believe, the line you are expecting from Troll Central...

Stanley has a live arm, he's big and sturdy, he has almost no injury history, and he's been rather productive in college.

He's definitely getting some NFL consideration. If he can get over the 60% mark (he was a hair away from doing so this season), and stay healthy, his stock is gonna go up.

He fits the prototypical NFL QB position and seems to have a decent arm. I think much depends on the QB need for that draft.

Again, not to bash the kid, but his tape when a team throws a decent 3-4 at him is miserable. A lot of that is obviously on the o-line, but the kid honestly will have to make a quantum leap this year to be drafted before day 3. CJ was our best NFL ready QB and he was a third rounder, but CJ had waaaaay better accuracy and was way more mobile and elusive moving around the pocket. The guys drafting know to discount the stats, but the game film doesn't lie. The kid could definitely make an NFL roster, but he really needs a monster year and to put together a ridiculous set of tape this year.

Just doing the Google, Beathard's completion % in 2014 and 2016 was 56.5%. In 2015 it was 61.6%. So I would not say WAY better. Time and perception alter reality.

Georgia has 12 double digit win seasons over the last 20 years.

In that same time period they have more Rose Bowl wins than every B1G team except for Ohio St and Wisconsin which is very interesting being that the SEC doesn't have a bowl tie with the Rose Bowl & the B1G does.

They've also won a game in the CFP.

Since 1999 LSU has finished ranked 16 times. Inside the top 10 eight times. Last season being the most recent top 10 finish.

spock-logic1.jpg

Latest posts