Todd McShay 2020 Mock Draft--Whoa!

Can we please have a scout tell us what they see that we don’t because I’ve seen every game he’s played and he looks like a day 3 guy to me.

They see potential. They see big body, strong arm and reasonably mobile. I don't know if he can make it to a 1st round pick, but if he does it is because of potential. The potential to be the next Big Ben.

He’s not accurate. That’s a fact currently and unless that improves big time next year a team would be insane to take him in the first.

Tanner Lee went in the 3rd round, Daniel Jones went in the first round. He could have a monster year, he has a lot of things that make him a potential first rounder. His accuracy is definitely an issue, but his #'s in Iowa's offense have put him on the radar and that's why his name keeps coming up.

Josh Allen 2 years as a starter--5066 yards, 44 TD, 21 INT, 56.2 comp%, 6'5" 238--7th pick overall 2018
Daniel Jones 3 years as a starter--8201 yards, 52 TD, 29 INT, 59.9 comp % 6'5" 220--6th pick overall 2019
Nate Stanley's 2 years as a starter--5346 yards, 52 TD, 16 INT, 57.5 comp % 6'4" 242

Could have sworn he threw 3 or 4 one game and we actually won.
The only time he's ever thrown more than one was against Penn State this past year (2).

Horrible misses and overthrows....that's a different matter.

Josh Allen 2 years as a starter--5066 yards, 44 TD, 21 INT, 56.2 comp%, 6'5" 238--7th pick overall 2018
Daniel Jones 3 years as a starter--8201 yards, 52 TD, 29 INT, 59.9 comp % 6'5" 220--6th pick overall 2019
Nate Stanley's 2 years as a starter--5346 yards, 52 TD, 16 INT, 57.5 comp % 6'4" 242
I hear you on the numbers, but Stanley's Jekell and Hyde inconsistency is what will put him on the Saturday draft board. Personally, I think if he has another year like last year he'll go UDFA. NFL teams don't want a guy who shows no confidence, and they especially don't want one where they don't know which QB will show up on game day.

When Nate is good he's good, but when he's bad he's astoundingly bad.

I hear you on the numbers, but Stanley's Jekell and Hyde inconsistency is what will put him on the Saturday draft board. Personally, I think if he has another year like last year he'll go UDFA. NFL teams don't want a guy who shows no confidence, and they especially don't want one where they don't know which QB will show up on game day.

Stanley needs to take two huge steps forward this year.

He needs to come out down a score late or down two scores in the fourth quarter where he needs to drive the length of the field and pull out the victory. Like Hornibrook did last year or McSorley in 2017.

He needs to show he can get hot even if he starts out cold. There are numerous examples of NFL QB's who can be off for a half or even into the third quarter, then throw three or four TD's the rest of the way.

No quarterback worth their weight in salt makes it in the NFL without showing they can do either or both of these things once in a while.

Tanner Lee went in the 3rd round, Daniel Jones went in the first round. He could have a monster year, he has a lot of things that make him a potential first rounder. His accuracy is definitely an issue, but his #'s in Iowa's offense have put him on the radar and that's why his name keeps coming up.

Hard to believe Tanner Lee went in the third round. Gives pause for thought that Stanley could go earlier than the 3rd.

I think that's the big thing. I wanted to answer the completion percentage question, but Nate seems too timid at times, all of which will be magnified at the next level.

Agreed. And look, I don't want to crap on the kid and he has dealt with material problems on the o-line, but other than OSU in 2017 and Miss State in the Outback Bowl and maybe PSU in 2017, the kid hasn't really been a factor against good teams. He's put up gawdy numbers against ISU, Illinois, Indiana and Minnesota.

31. Los Angeles Chargers
Nate Stanley, QB, Iowa

The Chargers drafted Easton Stick in the fifth round, but he's probably not the heir to Philip Rivers' throne. Stanley has the tools to become a starting NFL quarterback, and I think his decision to get another season of college game experience will pay off. He threw for 2,852 yards, 26 touchdowns and 10 interceptions last season. This is going to be a very good quarterback class.

Wait wait wait...with San Diego picking 31st doesn't that mean McShay has the Chargers losing the Super Bowl?

Just my opinion dude. It's 2019. Lots of QB's throw 52 TD's in 2 seasons. He was tied for 22nd in the NCAA in TD passes last year.
Oh I know, I aint shitting on it, but your kidding yourself a little if you don’t think his ability to throw the ball into end zone doesn’t matter. I mean it’s the basic most important concept of the position.
How many of 21 in front of him played in some sort of spread? He’s playing in an O that’s pretty popular on Sundays. His completion percentage is really the only dent people can put in his game. I think the fact that he has those #’s in an offense as conservative and ball control oriented that it makes the percentage thing a little over blown.

Oh I know, I aint shitting on it, but your kidding yourself a little if you don’t think his ability to throw the ball into end zone doesn’t matter. I mean it’s the basic most important concept of the position.
How many of 21 in front of him played in some sort of spread? He’s playing in an O that’s pretty popular on Sundays. His completion percentage is really the only dent people can put in his game. I think the fact that he has those #’s in an offense as conservative and ball control oriented that it makes the percentage thing a little over blown.

Again, not to bash the kid, but his tape when a team throws a decent 3-4 at him is miserable. A lot of that is obviously on the o-line, but the kid honestly will have to make a quantum leap this year to be drafted before day 3. CJ was our best NFL ready QB and he was a third rounder, but CJ had waaaaay better accuracy and was way more mobile and elusive moving around the pocket. The guys drafting know to discount the stats, but the game film doesn't lie. The kid could definitely make an NFL roster, but he really needs a monster year and to put together a ridiculous set of tape this year.

Mock Draft Wirfs at 6 and AJ at 7

Round 1 - Pick 6
Tristan Wirfs OL
IOWA - SOPH - 6'5 / 320 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Jacksonville Jaguars

Wirfs would need a big season to ultimately land in the top 10, but a handful of players fly up draft boards every year. Wirfs was an overpowering blocker as a sophomore in 2018.

Round 1 - Pick 7
A.J. Epenesa DE
IOWA - SOPH - 6'5 / 277 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Another power player from Iowa, Epenesa oftentimes overshadowed Anthony Nelson last season on the edge. While not a speed-predicated defensive lineman, Epenesa moves well for his listed weight of 280 pounds at 6-foot-6. He understands the importance of using pass-rushing moves to win too. The Buccaneers still need help on the outside of their defensive line.

Latest posts