Todd McShay 2020 Mock Draft--Whoa!

99topdawg

20. Seattle Seahawks
A.J. Epenesa, DE, Iowa*

Put up 10.5 sacks, 16.5 TFLs and four forced fumbles and you're going to get the draft buzz started early. I think new Seahawk L.J. Collier is going to be effective in the pros, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for this 6-6, 277-pounder flying off the edge in Seattle.

31. Los Angeles Chargers
Nate Stanley, QB, Iowa

The Chargers drafted Easton Stick in the fifth round, but he's probably not the heir to Philip Rivers' throne. Stanley has the tools to become a starting NFL quarterback, and I think his decision to get another season of college game experience will pay off. He threw for 2,852 yards, 26 touchdowns and 10 interceptions last season. This is going to be a very good quarterback class.

I will eat a hat (to be determined by a popular vote of posters on Hawkeye Nation - limitations apply, such as hat must be made of cloth) if Stanley is drafted in the first round of the NFL draft.
A lot can happen in a year.
We have all seen good Stanley. I think he can easily become more consistent in that type of play. He has the physical tools, so that's all that's left. It's totally doable.

Stanley has a live arm, he's big and sturdy, he has almost no injury history, and he's been rather productive in college.

He's definitely getting some NFL consideration. If he can get over the 60% mark (he was a hair away from doing so this season), and stay healthy, his stock is gonna go up.

After last year I see Stanley going in the 3rd round or later. He had a good QB year in 2018 but 2019 is where we will see if he has enough to be a good NFL QB.

McShay has loved Stanley for awhile, until the Penn State game, then there were references he made to throws high school QBs should be able to make (which, of course was true in that game). I hope he's right with this current projection, as Iowa will need the "good" Stanley all year.

I think he's a little light on AJ. There were 4 DEs drafted in the first 16 picks this year. AJ ranks with them, I think.

Take away the Penn State game and Stanley had a 62.5% completion rate on the season. Heck if he completes half of his passes in that game he would have ended up at 61% on the year.

McShay is pretty open about the year out NFL projections being his least favorite part of his job, because he doesn't properly evaluate players. He's forced into it because of its popularity.

McShay is pretty open about the year out NFL projections being his least favorite part of his job, because he doesn't properly evaluate players. He's forced into it because of its popularity.

On Dan Patrick he recently said ESPN told him he had to either put out draft grades post draft or put out an early projections list each year. He chose the year out projections as the lesser of two evils.

Intersting how my memory plays tricks on me. For some reason I thought Stanley's TD's, yards l, and completion % went down in 2018 while his interceptions went up.

Well, at least I had the interceptions part right, they increased from 6 to 10. But yards and completion % actually went up in 2018 and TD's were the same, 26 TD's in both 2017 and 2018.

So what is the school record for TD passes in a career? Can Stanley get the record?

Stanley has a live arm, he's big and sturdy, he has almost no injury history, and he's been rather productive in college.

He's definitely getting some NFL consideration. If he can get over the 60% mark (he was a hair away from doing so this season), and stay healthy, his stock is gonna go up.
What the hell is a live arm??

Latest posts