Today is not about Greg Davis, or Jake Rudock

Jon Miller is nothing more than a so called fan of Iowa. Melts down when they lose like any other internet forum contributor. He contains himself more than most because he runs the show. Otherwise he is just like the rest of em. Crybaby

Generals are always fighting the last war, they fail and then new generals get in place and adapt. Kirk is an old general playing ball likes it's 2004.

Jon Miller is nothing more than a so called fan of Iowa. Melts down when they lose like any other internet forum contributor. He contains himself more than most because he runs the show. Otherwise he is just like the rest of em. Crybaby

accept his statements were correct. we have an average coach that produces average teams. but we hawk fans love our team so much, we fall prey to the hype; or, god forbid, we put expectations on the coach to produce a championship team.

or any of those sorts of things....it's just the realization that Iowa is nothing more than average...and hasn't been much more than that since 2009...and all of the inconsistencies that go along with average.

To me, that is the story right now...and has a similar feel to the Alford era of hoops...good enough to be .500, not have a losing season, but not good enough to climb the ladder, in an era of Big Ten play that is as weak as I can ever recall.

This is far less to me about the specifics today, and more about the cumulative.

So you think Kurt should get the same talk from the AD that Alford got from the AD?

This post is priceless.

I believe it all goes back to recruiting. Year after year of recruiting classes that rank at the lower levels of the B10, let alone the nation, are not going to result in a good teams, regardless of who the coach is or what game plan you have. Hopefully when bringing in the the next regime, recruiting ability will be very high on the list of qualifications. Jimmie and Joes... that's our problem. Certainly not the only problem, but I truly believe it's the main one.

I believe it all goes back to recruiting. Year after year of recruiting classes that rank at the lower levels of the B10, let alone the nation, are not going to result in a good teams, regardless of who the coach is or what game plan you have. Hopefully when bringing in the the next regime, recruiting ability will be very high on the list of qualifications. Jimmie and Joes... that's our problem. Certainly not the only problem, but I truly believe it's the main one.

I would think that any coach could bring in this level of talent. why do we hold onto kfootball as our security blanket to bring in this kind of talent?

accept his statements were correct. we have an average coach that produces average teams. but we hawk fans love our team so much, we fall prey to the hype; or, god forbid, we put expectations on the coach to produce a championship team.

LOL! you're not so clever wild turkey, giving me a thumbs down for my post.

Mike23 - You are soooo right....average teams also don't lose by 40 to teams that got beat by Illinois!!!

DERPtastic

I'm in Tokyo and the intellectual property gods have spared me from seeing this train wreck. Despite the score, I still think the Hawks are good enough to win out if they put together three great games, but are also bad enough to lose out. I hope to be in Champagne next Saturday donning the black and gold. Go hawks!
Be brave young grasshopper, stay in Tokyo for 3 more weeks and your world will be healed

You are an absolute dumb *** and the reason why the Iowa program is in the shape it is in, because no-nothing fans like you accept this dumpster fire of a program. Jon called it right.

Just like this up and down season, it wouldn't surprise me to see Iowa hammer Illinois next week, but on the other hand......................................

or any of those sorts of things....it's just the realization that Iowa is nothing more than average...and hasn't been much more than that since 2009...and all of the inconsistencies that go along with average.

To me, that is the story right now...and has a similar feel to the Alford era of hoops...good enough to be .500, not have a losing season, but not good enough to climb the ladder, in an era of Big Ten play that is as weak as I can ever recall.

This is far less to me about the specifics today, and more about the cumulative.

I disagree with your implication that the blame is to be shared -- that this is a systemic, "average" problem. The players' talents and abilities have fluctuated but, for the most part, the first and most of the second units are capable of playing competitive ball at this level. (The really glaring exceptions to this are 2006-07 and 2014 back 7 on defense, plus a few select positions, that shall remain nameless, here and there over the years.) Afterall, Iowa routinely finishes in the top 40 recruiting classes and routinely higher than Minnesota. Now, that's not championship caliber but it's certainly above average and competitive with appropriate coaching and opportunity.

Therein lies the rub ... the only consistently "average" (below average, in my opinion) has been der KirkFer, going back to '07 / '08. He was blessed with plenty of very good to great talent and an outstanding defensive coordinator that compensated for his ineptitude as a strategist and personnel manager in '08 & '09, still blundered it up in '10, and has been exposed ever since. This has been compounded with the G.d. G.D. hire, which makes a bad situation (KirkFer's own limitations due to his low risk philosophy toward offense, which blatantly favors experience over talent) worse. (Has there ever been a more impotent scheme in terms of matching players' capabilities?)

This year, the team is average on the DL, below average to very bad at LB and average to below at DB (all of which I predicted, toot!) However, it has plenty of above average to good talent on offense that is being squandered, yet again, by bad coaching strategy and bad coaching personnel decisions. This team should have been 9-3 but will end up being exactly what I predicted, 7-5. I predicted that for a reason ... and it wasn't because I thought the players were average or would underachieve if put in positions to succeed.

Just like this up and down season, it wouldn't surprise me to see Iowa hammer Illinois next week, but on the other hand......................................

To channel Hillary Clinton: "At this point, what differences does it make?"
We'd then lose to Wisky and Debbie.
Go to a bowl game, we don't deserve.
If we win the bowl game, we'll have 9 months to amp up and over-hype expectations.

It's just such a stale program right now.

So many things that I don't agree with from this regime.. and really never have.

They just got away with it in the early 2000's

I think in the early 2000's this approach worked. As many have said time has passed and passed for KF. I just don't see any passion from this team. I think we need a change of coaches. Kirk's been a great ambassador for Iowa football but it's time to move on.

This year, the team is average on the DL, below average to very bad at LB and average to below at DB (all of which I predicted, toot!) However, it has plenty of above average to good talent on offense that is being squandered, yet again, by bad coaching strategy and bad coaching personnel decisions.

I'll continue where you left off ...

Average on the OL, average to above average at TE and WR, below average to very bad at QB, below average at RB. Your point about personnel decisions is on the money. Iowa does have some playmakers. Most plays, they are standing on the sidelines.

Our QB does not have the arm strength to make defenses respect our passing game, and today, Minnesota played 3 guys who are better overall running backs than the guy we started.

Latest posts