To years ago this week, Iowa 9-0 & on SI

Wait, did he call 2010 an unmitigated disaster?

I used to think Bruce was a good poster until that. How do you even rationalize things to someone with that mindset?

You can't have a logical conversation with illogical people.

Yeah I did, in football terms, that is exactly what it was? What would you call it? Premature ejaculation?

Disappointing. Of course, I was expecting 9 wins, not 12,000 like some fans here were convinced we would get. I think some people get unrealistic expectations and then take it out on others when they aren't met.

However, I take back what I said about you, since you used the word "totes" I totes love that word!

It's not a comprehension problem, at least not on my part.

In an analogy.

Take 100 Iowa fans and two rooms.

Put 25 fans in room one, these fans are aggressively optimistic. They pat themselves on the back for being true fans. They mostly avoid message boards after a loss, as they feel the boards overreact.

Of the 75 remaining fans, 5 want KF fired.

The 70 remaining fans have legit concerns about Iowa's program, these concerns range from assistant coach stagnation, KF's gameday decisions, clock management, lack of DL talent, the list goes on. Both groups shuffle to room two.

You approach the podium in room two and lecture the crowd on the behavior of those five people.

You might qualify your speech by saying you're only talking to the five people, but in the end, you are standing in a room full of people with legitimate concerns wasting their time going off on a tiny insignificant minority.

It's dumb, and it, even if unintended, lumps those with legitimate concerns in with the irrational ones.

and had we gone 9-3 I think people would've been disappointed but not catatonic about it. Instead we went 7-5.

Get it?

Totes.

Jon I for one am over the loss. I love kf. But for the love of mike restrain yourself before stooping to juvenility. Your OP was not something a respecting journalist/publisher would do.

My comment is out of respect.

Bruce, what I have written the last few days has been to the folks calling for KF's head. To the folks saying Kirk hasn't done anything for three or four years. I've read the posts, I've taken the calls

So that's where the historical and macro stuff has come from, in the face of things I know just are not true.

....then the naked bootleg....then the "don't lose a game" mentality at OSU.....

I have the SI issue framed in the man cave and was at the northwestern game. Man if we could have won that one... then beat OSU. National Title game? Perhaps...
it was a good season none the less

Wow, calling people with a different point of view Jihadic, that sounds reasonable. We are calling for a coach to be fired, this happens all the time for the love of god.

Wow, calling people with a different point of view Jihadic, that sounds reasonable. We are calling for a coach to be fired, this happens all the time for the love of god.

He acted stupidly, but he overreacted because emotions were running high. Jon has a financial interest in staying in KF's good graces that you and I don't have. This will tone down after a few weeks.

Last edited:
Jon-

I respect your opinion, but....

Why are fans irrational for questioning change?

The Hawks lost 6 games in 07-08
They lost 4 games in 08-09
They lost 2 in 09-10
The lost 5 games in 10-11
We are on pace to lose anywhere from 4-6 this year

So if we take a 5 year window...you are looking at pedestrian numbers for a coach paid 3.8 million. The school has committed to a new practice facilities (indoor and out), new stadium upgrades, and good staff salaries. Yet 3 of the last 5 years will result in 5 losses or more per year.

You can argue recruiting rankings, but what were the classes of Northwestern, Minnesota, and Iowa St ranked?

I think fans have a right to expect more than the above. I dont think it is out of line to suggest we beat lower ranked teams and not need 2 FG blocks to beat the UNIs of the world.

For what Iowa has invested in Football....I am not so sure fans dont have a right to want more.....I dont think anyone is expecting National Titles, but if we are content with 7-4 and 8-5 finishes with the occassional good season, then so be it....

That's really not that bad once you realize Iowa isn't Ohio St, USC, or Alabama. Didn't you go to a bowl game each on those years with a BCS win? I guess you shouldn't settle, but Iowa isn't consistently going to go a BCS game. Maybe twice a decade. Especially now that you have to win conference championship game instead of just a straight up championship like that past. Some of you need to relax. But losing to Minnesota should not happen.

Last edited:

Latest posts