To years ago this week, Iowa 9-0 & on SI

Two years ago this week, DJK was on the cover of Sports Illustrated and Iowa was 9-0.

Two years later, the Jihadic Wing is calling for Kirk's head.

Two and a half years ago, right before Iowa beat PSU on a last second field goal in Kinnick, the Jihadic Wing wanted Kirk Ferentz fired.

It's easy to cherry pick about a year and a half of good football in the past 7 years, which would be the last half of 2008, and 2009. The other 5 1/2 years since the end of 2004's season has been pretty disappointing. 2005-2007, and 2010-2011.

In 2009, it looked like Iowa Football was on the way back to what it had in 2002-04, and 2010 was really a 10-win calibur team that probably should've been a repeat BCS participant, but ended up being a horrible disappointment.

This year is looking more like 2007 again.

So I can't really blame people for being upset with the OVERALL body of work the past 7 years.

Just to be clear, I'm not one of the ones calling for KF's head, but I can't make excuses for the number of losses to bottom feeder programs like ISU and Minnesota. It's happening far too often.

I have expressed my thoughts as to last year's shortcomings over the last month of the season, and we may just disagree on what those are. Yeah, I'd like to see the rest of the year play out.

Not that I think this happens, but if they went 4-0 this month, they are playing for the Big Ten title game. Would be kind of silly to **** into the wind right now.

If we went 4-0 this month or even 3-1, after the initial celebration, one would have to ask, "how did we lose to ISU and a last place Minny that has been slaughtered this year?" When you lose to terrible teams, the damage is already done and begs fans to criticize the coach's performance.

There is no accountability in the Iowa program. Kirk keeps saying “That’s football” live with it. I don’t want Kirk to leave but if he keeps telling us things will be addressed and we see the same failures year after year what does it take to get it right. Barda won’t hold him responsible, he is just a PR person. Most AD’s are in today’s college football. Who is Kirk accountable to? Donors? The media? Fans?

If we went 4-0 this month or even 3-1, after the initial celebration, one would have to ask, "how did we lose to ISU and a last place Minny that has been slaughtered this year?" When you lose to terrible teams, the damage is already done and begs fans to criticize the coach's performance.

IF they can get there, I think it's easier to point to this team having the fewest returning starters of any in the B1G and understanding that there would be some likely inconsistencies at play.

IF they can get there, I think it's easier to point to this team having the fewest returning starters of any in the B1G and understanding that there would be some likely inconsistencies at play.

We're going to have among the fewest returning starters in the conference next year too. It's not an excuse, the inabilitity to develop depth falls on the coaching staff.

Hawkeyenation is a vital cog in the Ferentz Propaganda Machine. Jon's droning about how good the program is and manipulation of the stats and records is essential in keeping everyone from anarchy. The subliminal messages from all the ads on the site impact your psychological ability to see the program without rose colored glasses. I'm convinced that during the vasectomy ads flashing, I saw a "Ferentz is mine Fuhrer" message.

You are all being used without your knowledge.

I agree that winning out would be way better than losing, but Minnesota got spanked by North Dakota St. and New Mexico State (3-5 in a bad conference). They also got pounded by Purdue and Nebraska, and Michigan was pulling out starters by halftime. Not that many returning starters is a poor excuse for losing this miserable team the way we did.

Last edited:
We're going to have among the fewest returning starters in the conference next year too. It's not an excuse, the inabilitity to develop depth falls on the coaching staff.

Common sense isn't allowed when trying to tell people defending this staff that next year doesn't look much better then this year.

I consider myself to be quite rational and I haven't every outright called for Ferentz to be fired.

I have always felt the same way about him, win or lose. Jihadic? give me a ****** break.

Jon dont start talking like Deace. It's not you.

Make excuse after excuse for losses that shouldn't have happened. For poor preparation and in-game decisions and pretending it isn't on the coaching staff.

Buy or Sell?

Sell.

Hawkeye Mike and Jon:

Yep fewest returning starters two years in a row pretty much seals the deal for the 3 year down trend.

See you in 2014.

Firing Kirk now? Yeah, I think its irrational. Program changes? I have not said that is irrational.

I believe this is where most fans' frustration is coming from. Any rational Iowa fan knows he isn't going to change anything, regardless on how poor the results are or how the landscape of CFB is changing around him.

Keep Kirk = things stay status quo. That can be a frustrating thing to accept. I know it was for me.

I like Jon, and I understand this might be a quick way to get banned, but the man isn't very bright.

He is essentially creating a straw man to tear down. By in large, fans aren't calling for Kirk to be fired, most fans are simply unhappy seeing Iowa drop a stunningly high percentage of games where they are double-digit favorites. People aren't calling for Ferentz' head, but that doesn't stop Miller from railing against those nonexistent people.

Then he defends his original post by claiming some people can only see in black and white. When it is he who tries to casually lump criticism of Ferentz into a desire to see him fired together.

Not to mention the hypocrisy of a man who makes his livelihood off of the passion of Iowa fans calling out the 'Jihadist' wing of the fan base. Most Iowa fans don't listen to sports radio or visit message boards, but the ones who do are the quickest to call for change. If these ultra passionate, and at times irrational, fans are Jihadists, to carry the analogy further, Miller would be Bin Laden, the profiteer of the Jihadists.

I like Jon, and I understand this might be a quick way to get banned, but the man isn't very bright. .

I just don't get this...folks get banned around here for swearing, breaking the few rules we have, but very little else. I don't ban people because they don't like my opinions. It's part of the job.

I bet we ban less than 30 people a year, and many of those are just people looking to stir up trouble.

Not to mention the hypocrisy of a man who makes his livelihood off of the passion of Iowa fans calling out the 'Jihadist' wing of the fan base. Most Iowa fans don't listen to sports radio or visit message boards, but the ones who do are the quickest to call for change. If these ultra passionate, and at times irrational, fans are Jihadists, to carry the analogy further, Miller would be Bin Laden, the profiteer of the Jihadists.

I have repeatedly said I am referring to those that are calling for Kirk to be fired, not people expressing critical opinions.

At some point in time, reading comprehension has to kick in, doesn't it?

JD - I don't want to speak out of turn, but I believe the frustration with you is this: You are an apologist for KF. That is fine, there are lots of em. You people have been proven right in similar situations.

Kind of like KF, you're playing the percentages and not varying from there, because those are the percentages. You're kinda ignoring what is right in front of your face and has been for quite some time.

2008 (and likely KF's job) was saved by a once a generation talent. 2009 was created by unlikely play after unlikely play all going our way. 2010 was an unmitigated disaster. 2011 seems to want to outdo it.

We haven't been a dominant team since 2004. Flat out. Can't be denied. That doesn't mean that 2008 and 2009 didn't happen, just that the 2004 team would've kicked the ever loving **** out of both of those teams.

Do I want KF fired, no I don't. But there has been a downward trend for sometime now. Yes, we've had great successes in that trend, but I actually think the trend has been going on since the 2005 season started.

I think what you are doing now and why you are getting so much push back is ******* on our legs and telling us it's raining.

Bruce: I have not ruled out a concerning downward trend opinion. I am just gonna wait for these next four games to play before making a conclusion.

Wait, did he call 2010 an unmitigated disaster?

I used to think Bruce was a good poster until that. How do you even rationalize things to someone with that mindset?

You can't have a logical conversation with illogical people.

Bruce: I have not ruled out a concerning downward trend opinion. I am just gonna wait for these next four games to play before making a conclusion.

Totes fair JD. But you're not talking about the concern, you're just talking about the past successes. Just sayin.

Latest posts