To the true Hawkeye Fans...

Deserthawk29

I miss the day when Hawkeye greats were admired for simply donning the black and gold uniform. There was no Twitter platform for the shortsighted fan base to chastise them when they had an off night. If given the chance, would Hawk fans of the 80’s have felt the need to be hypercritical of BJ Armstrong or “Sir Jam-a-Lot,†Gerry Wright on social media?

Having grown up in Iowa and moved to Arizona more than 10 years ago, I’ve come to find Hawkeye Nation a great way to stay connected to the team I love. I just don’t get all the negativity directed toward the players and team your supposed to admire. “McCabe needs to do this,†“Marble didn’t do that,†“Fran please do this….†“Hawks to the NIT.†Enough already. Do you think McCabe feels good that he missed a critical shot? Do you think any of the players feel great after losing 3 in a row? All these malicious posts directed at your beloved Hawks is not going to get them back to their winning ways. As frustrated as you feel, I guarantee you the players feel ten times worse.

If you consider yourself a true Hawkeye fan, your job is to get behind your team and support them through thick and thin. Perhaps this team has temporarily misplaced their mojo, but this is not the time for fans to be degrading and vile. Enjoy the wins, get through the losses, and support the boys in Black and Gold no matter what. Fran doesn’t need your suggestions on Xs and Os, he’s done just fine up to this point. Marble and the gang are pretty darn good without your lineup suggestions or defensive schemes. If you wee smart enough to be coaching division 1 basketball, guess what you probably would be.

If you’re lucky enough to be at Carver on Sunday, do your job. When the Hawks take the floor against Purdue, scream your lungs out and remind those boys on the Iowa sideline why it’s great to be a Hawkeye….The FANS!!

Don’t let an isolated incident of high schoolers attacking one player via twitter change your perception of our fan base. We’re loyal as sh*t.

It's pretty important to remember that when the teams are as good as the Marble/Armstrong squads, it's pretty easy for fans to act like starstruck kids all the time.

And even then, you would have had some fans go after players on Twitter if that platform had been available. Chris Street caught flak from time to time, so I can't imagine that Marble and Co. wouldn't have, too.

I miss the day when Hawkeye greats were admired for simply donning the black and gold uniform. There was no Twitter platform for the shortsighted fan base to chastise them when they had an off night. If given the chance, would Hawk fans of the 80’s have felt the need to be hypercritical of BJ Armstrong or “Sir Jam-a-Lot,†Gerry Wright on social media?

Having grown up in Iowa and moved to Arizona more than 10 years ago, I’ve come to find Hawkeye Nation a great way to stay connected to the team I love. I just don’t get all the negativity directed toward the players and team your supposed to admire. “McCabe needs to do this,†“Marble didn’t do that,†“Fran please do this….†“Hawks to the NIT.†Enough already. Do you think McCabe feels good that he missed a critical shot? Do you think any of the players feel great after losing 3 in a row? All these malicious posts directed at your beloved Hawks is not going to get them back to their winning ways. As frustrated as you feel, I guarantee you the players feel ten times worse.

If you consider yourself a true Hawkeye fan, your job is to get behind your team and support them through thick and thin. Perhaps this team has temporarily misplaced their mojo, but this is not the time for fans to be degrading and vile. Enjoy the wins, get through the losses, and support the boys in Black and Gold no matter what. Fran doesn’t need your suggestions on Xs and Os, he’s done just fine up to this point. Marble and the gang are pretty darn good without your lineup suggestions or defensive schemes. If you wee smart enough to be coaching division 1 basketball, guess what you probably would be.

If you’re lucky enough to be at Carver on Sunday, do your job. When the Hawks take the floor against Purdue, scream your lungs out and remind those boys on the Iowa sideline why it’s great to be a Hawkeye….The FANS!!

Someone has been hitting the spiked Kool-Aid again!

Barf... pathetic post. The more things change the more they stay the same. I remember fans being critical of Lute. Hard to imagine. The methods have changed, the message is the same.

I miss the day when Hawkeye greats were admired for simply donning the black and gold uniform. There was no Twitter platform for the shortsighted fan base to chastise them when they had an off night. If given the chance, would Hawk fans of the 80’s have felt the need to be hypercritical of BJ Armstrong or “Sir Jam-a-Lot,” Gerry Wright on social media?

Having grown up in Iowa and moved to Arizona more than 10 years ago, I’ve come to find Hawkeye Nation a great way to stay connected to the team I love. I just don’t get all the negativity directed toward the players and team your supposed to admire. “McCabe needs to do this,” “Marble didn’t do that,” “Fran please do this….” “Hawks to the NIT.” Enough already. Do you think McCabe feels good that he missed a critical shot? Do you think any of the players feel great after losing 3 in a row? All these malicious posts directed at your beloved Hawks is not going to get them back to their winning ways. As frustrated as you feel, I guarantee you the players feel ten times worse.

Call it Kool-aid drinking if you like but I too feel this way! Things have been tough recently but come on still opportunities to do good things in the rest of regular season and in tournament play. Its the old saying that goes glass half empty or glass half full,I'll take half full and go on to the next game rooting for the Hawks! GO HAWKS BEAT PURDUE!!

rwtsracefan(Dan Wemett)

Don’t let an isolated incident of high schoolers attacking one player via twitter change your perception of our fan base. We’re loyal as sh*t.

Anybody who so much as peaked at the football board from January 2013 to November 2013 knows that this isn't true.

Anybody who so much as peaked at the football board from January 2013 to November 2013 knows that this isn't true.

Grape its been 13 years since we won a tourney game and yet CHA has been full the last couple years. Trolls on the football forum aren’t representative of the fan base.

tl;dr

Grape its been 13 years since we won a tourney game and yet CHA has been full the last couple years. Trolls on the football forum aren’t representative of the fan base.

They aren't trolls. Some of them are level-headed regular posters in this here basketball forum; and they shredded the football team for 10 months. I could call them out by name, but they know who they are.

We are a passionate fanbase, but not especially loyal nor patient. If that were true, Tom Davis would have rebuilt us to a 5 seed in the '08 tournament instead of freakin' Drake.

The fans haven't changed at all.

The difference is how this team seems so concerned about what the media and fans are saying more than any team I can remember. I also have a feeling that we've not seen the last of this either once the season is over.

Love the basketball Hawks for who they are and not what some inept basketball analyst has puffed them up to be. They'll get better.

The fans haven't changed at all.

The difference is how this team seems so concerned about what the media and fans are saying more than any team I can remember. I also have a feeling that we've not seen the last of this either once the season is over.

Actually, the biggest difference is the platform fans now have through social media. It's a lot easier to let fans get to you when they've got a way to reach you from anywhere, than it is if the main way to let you know how they feel is to walk up and tell you.

They aren't trolls. Some of them are level-headed regular posters in this here basketball forum; and they shredded the football team for 10 months. I could call them out by name, but they know who they are.

We are a passionate fanbase, but not especially loyal nor patient. If that were true, Tom Davis would have rebuilt us to a 5 seed in the '08 tournament instead of freakin' Drake.

THIS times 1000...I don't know how many times I read things like "Ferentz sucks...at least Fran and the boys know what's up"...and then they get super defensive if you point out Fran's deficiencies. So I gave up and went "basketball troll" route.

The bottom line is that it's super hard to be a good coach, and we have 2 of the best there is.

If people can't see that, it's no one's problem but their own.