To the guys that bash Frans recruiting

Wow!! we've come along way since this thread opened!! there were doubters!! after we lost on Cezar,and who even remembers some of the others!! Like I said we went after a lot of GOOD guys, threw our line in the water(kept it in the water) and ended up landing some pretty nice fish.........:)

This is what sportstalkmatt does. He is just trying to get a rise out of everyone on here. If a guy like White had gone to Creighton, then he would be a great get. But since he went to Iowa, he is no good.

Its exactly like when McDermott was the ISU coach, he was a horrible coach (which is true); but as soon as he went to Creighton, he is a good coach.

For the record, I think Fran has done a good job recruiting

Have you seen White play? I have several times. He's awkward. Sure, he beat up high school competition but I watched him play strong AAU teams in Vegas and struggled.

Creighton beat Iowa for Groselle ... that doesn't bother you?

Pierre Jackson isn't going to be an option for you ... know why? You guys aren't recruiting well enough. It's Creighton, Baylor or NC State. Now, I don't know if CU will be able to pull it off with him but you guys are desperate for talent and aren't in the running for him.

The Jays have 4 3-star players signed. Oglesby was a miss by Creighton but they would rather have Avery Dingman now anyways. Ethan Wragge shoots better than Josh and he redshirted this year and has 3 years left.

You guys will figure this out next November in Des Moines.

R u desperate for attention or 12 years old? Yours is the d-baggiest post I've ever read, Troll.

I love it when someone dredges up these old posts. It really exposes certain posters for the tools they are.

Not bashing as much as worried about wasting time/revenue recruiting players all over the country(Cezar,Salter, blah blah blah) and NOT IOWA WORTHY ....I guess,my stand is/was that Fran hasnt brought in an non-producing recruit so far every guy he is bringing in is better than what we've had or at least has more potentional.

I think fans were disappointed at some of the recruits we lost out on. Don't necessarily think fans were "bashing" Fran's recruiting skills. I think most people realize the doors to top recruits were not going to open up overnight. But I think we have all seen the work Fran and his staff are doing to open doors that have been closed the last eight years or so ...

Yah and reading on another recent thread how Woodbury will struggled in the Big Ten because he isn't quick enough compared to the 6'9" recruits. Lets bring that thread up three years from now when Woody is one of the most dominant big men in the Big Ten and in the country. When his body has built up muscle over time he is going to be a force barring injuries (bite my tongue).

Iowa hasn't lost a head to head vs. Creighton yet but they have lost out on kids that they were interested in. Pierre Jackson will not go to Iowa, despite the interest. His two officials are to Creighton and Baylor. He might take one to Oklahoma or NC State.

Creighton has 4 kids signed for next year. 3 of them, Iowa looked at it but never got anywhere with. CU beat out Colorado, Northwestern, and other BCS schools for those players...and passed on Aaron White (who I still think is going to struggle in the Big 10).

I like Fran a lot - but I hate his staff and his "recruiter" is getting schooled consistently. Just cause he worked at a Nike camp doesn't mean he has any ties to kids and it has shown. Fran needs to get a TJ Otzelburger or a Steve Lutz type ASAP or he is going to be in trouble.
Come on man. Why do you make posts like this? Did you actually watch any Iowa games? White will struggle in the Big Ten? Whaaaat? WHITE WAS A BETTER PLAYER THAN MCDERMOTT AT THE END OF THE YEAR. BETTER!!!!

Yes, Creighton beat Iowa last year. Early. Creighton will not be in Iowa's class in the very near future. Iowa is out-recruiting and out-coaching them now.

Greg McDermott couldn't win at Iowa State. Now he coaches in the pathetic MVC. Ridiculous. No one gives a crap about Bluejay BB. The truth is that the McDermott kid would struggle in the Big Ten. Nice player? Sure. Great? No way dude

Come on man. Why do you make posts like this? Did you actually watch any Iowa games? White will struggle in the Big Ten? Whaaaat? WHITE WAS A BETTER PLAYER THAN MCDERMOTT AT THE END OF THE YEAR. BETTER!!!!

Yes, Creighton beat Iowa last year. Early. Creighton will not be in Iowa's class in the very near future. Iowa is out-recruiting and out-coaching them now.

Greg McDermott couldn't win at Iowa State. Now he coaches in the pathetic MVC. Ridiculous. No one gives a crap about Bluejay BB. The truth is that the McDermott kid would struggle in the Big Ten. Nice player? Sure. Great? No way dude
Yummy....

eat_your_words.jpg

:D

Someone should link this to Peraluts Creighton site otherwise he will likely never see it.

Aaron White has clearly turned out to be the best player out of everyone in the discussion. And other than Pierre Jackson, who Creighton did not get, its not even close.

I'm a little late to this thread, but I'm pretty happy with Fran's recruiting so far, particularly considering the state of the program when he took over. After what was arguably (or maybe UNARGUABLY) the worst 3-year stretch in program history, I didn't expect Fran to be reeling in alot of 4 or 5 star recruits. If/when Fran gets us back to being in the NCAA's most years, recruiting will only get easier once we start building a reputation as a good basketball school once again.

Still, I think Fran has done a fine job with what he's gotten so far, particularly in snagging Woodbury & Gesell. How many of you think think Lick would have been able to get those two signed?

Fran seems to be a workaholic who turns over every stone possible nationwide looking for good recruits, and that hard work will continue to pay dividends. Not to mention, Fran seems to have a good eye for underrated talent.

Not bashing as much as worried about wasting time/revenue recruiting players all over the country(Cezar,Salter, blah blah blah) and NOT IOWA WORTHY ....I guess,my stand is/was that Fran hasnt brought in an non-producing recruit so far every guy he is bringing in is better than what we've had or at least has more potentional.

What do you mean "Not Iowa Worthy?"

I like the fact that Fran is trying to recruit nationally and is not passing on highly-rated players by assuming that we don't have a chance. He is out there busting his but trying to convince good recruits to come to Iowa, and I love it.

Regarding "wasting" revenue going after recruits, Iowa's athletic department ranks something like 15th nationally.. They can afford the gas.

First of all, those of you who are replying to some of the early posts on this thread need to go back and look at the dates of those posts.

Second of all, Perrault mentioned seven players: Pierre Jackson, Avery Dingman, Geoffe Groselle, Wes Washpun, Ethan Wragge, Aaron White, and Josh Oglesby.

The argument was that Iowa should be freaked out b/c they didn't get a visit from Pierre Jackson and Creighton did. Of course Creighton didn't sign Jackson-- he went to Baylor. You could give Perrault credit for recognizing how good Jackson would be, but it isn't exactly difficult to predict that JuCo All-Americans will make an impact at the next level.

We were supposed to freak out that Washpun and Groselle didn't commit to Iowa. Wes ended up averaging less than 1 ppg at Tennessee and Groselle redshirted at Creighton. Perrault admits that Oglesby was a miss by Creighton "but we would rather have Avery Dingman now anyways." Dingman played 7 minutes/game and averaged 3 ppg, Oglesby played 19 minutes/game and went for 6.7ppg. (So as a true freshman, Oglesby equaled the production of redshirt sophomore Wragge).

And of course, per Perrault, White was going to struggle in the Big Ten. Here's a fun fact: if you add up the production of Creighton's top four freshmen (Artino 2.9 ppg/2.1 rpg, Dingman 2.9/.7, Chatman 2.4/1.1, Ferrarini .9/.4), you get 9.1 ppg and 4.3 rpg... Aaron White went for 11.1/5.7.

Question: could you be more wrong about anything if you deliberately set out to do so?

I'm a little late to this thread, but I'm pretty happy with Fran's recruiting so far, particularly considering the state of the program when he took over. After what was arguably (or maybe UNARGUABLY) the worst 3-year stretch in program history, I didn't expect Fran to be reeling in alot of 4 or 5 star recruits. If/when Fran gets us back to being in the NCAA's most years, recruiting will only get easier once we start building a reputation as a good basketball school once again.

Still, I think Fran has done a fine job with what he's gotten so far, particularly in snagging Woodbury & Gesell. How many of you think think Lick would have been able to get those two signed?

Fran seems to be a workaholic who turns over every stone possible nationwide looking for good recruits, and that hard work will continue to pay dividends. Not to mention, Fran seems to have a good eye for underrated talent.
I was no Lick fan but i think it's likely he would have gotten Woodbury and Gesell. Both were Iowa fans,Woodbury in particular. Gesell didn't have that impressive of offer list to keep him from coming to Iowa and playing with Adam.

I was no Lick fan but i think it's likely he would have gotten Woodbury and Gesell. Both were Iowa fans,Woodbury in particular. Gesell didn't have that impressive of offer list to keep him from coming to Iowa and playing with Adam.

It is a stretch to just "assume" that Lick could have out recruited anyone.....let along Roy Williams. Gesell could have gone to Standford, and can't imagine he would have come to Iowa with Lick slow pace brand of BB.

Lets say that Lick got both to come to Iowa....one year under him, and they would have transfered out. I think that is as safe a bet as saying they would have come to play for Lick....:rolleyes:

Latest posts