Time to Pull the Plug On the Oglesby's Playing Time?

The minutes are distributed fine. Like I said, until someone proves they are that much better, Oglesby should still get playing time. Oglesby's assist/turnover ratio is 27:5 and Jok's is 9:14. Defense counts for something, and if you want to look at just 3pt% it's 22% to 30% (both suck).

Those of you saying Uhl can play the 2 apparently watching the same games I am, or haven't read a box score. Here are Uhl's shooting stats:

3pt: 2-12 17%
FG: 12-28 43%
FT: 2-7 29%

Don't get me wrong, I really like Uhl and his potential. His best qualities are athleticism, ball-handling, and high motor. He will be a very good player. But to say he should play the 2 over Oglesby is crazy talk.

The minutes are distributed fine. Like I said, until someone proves they are that much better, Oglesby should still get playing time. Oglesby's assist/turnover ratio is 27:5 and Jok's is 9:14. Defense counts for something, and if you want to look at just 3pt% it's 22% to 30% (both suck).

Those of you saying Uhl can play the 2 apparently watching the same games I am, or haven't read a box score. Here are Uhl's shooting stats:

Don't get me wrong, I really like Uhl and his potential. His best qualities are athleticism, ball-handling, and high motor. He will be a very good player. But to say he should play the 2 over Oglesby is crazy talk.

Agree with everything you said. And opposing coaches still respect Oglesby. There's a reason Fran runs plays for him, it's not all about looking for his shot, but you get the whole defense moving trying to make sure he doesn't get an open look. Put Uhl in there and you're going to have his guy helping way off him, we already don't have a ton of spacing and Uhl playing the two would make the court seem even smaller.

I thought Ogelsby should have lost his playing time a long time ago.
With that said, Uhl is not a 2 guard.

No, you don't just "pull the plug" on him, but if other guys start stepping it up (someone like Jok), JO could see his minutes start to dwindle if he doesn't start shooting it better. As has been pointed out, though, that hasn't really happened yet.

I'm not sure why JO's confidence would be low.. He shot 40% from three last year. 40.3% to be exact.

These are good points. I guess we are left with one big question...why aren't we recruiting guys who can knock down a 3 pointer and still get back on defense. They are definitely out there.

Jok has more upside and should take some of JO's minutes. 21% is bench material. Especially for supposedly our sniper. More Jok please!

I was high on Jok coming into the season based on the play in game performance but he is still terrible on d, turns the ball over to often and isn't shooting much better.

At this point it looks like a mistake to have passed on Jeremy Morgan in favor of Jok.

I was high on Jok coming into the season based on the play in game performance but he is still terrible on d, turns the ball over to often and isn't shooting much better.

At this point it looks like a mistake to have passed on Jeremy Morgan in favor of Jok.

Jeremy Morgan
FG - 38.9%
FT - 42.9%
3P - 23.8%

Peter Jok
FG - 29.8%
FT - 100%
3P - 30.4%

I'm not bragging on Jok with these stats but also not pining for Morgan.

It's been time to pull the plug for the past 4 years.

Oglewinkel has had 1 year where he was actually putting the biscuit in the basket at a clip > 40% and believe it or not, that was last year. I can guarantee you the kid can light it up in practice but when the spotlight is on him, he's tentative as a mouse in a room full of cats to actually put up a shot.

If you look at his statistics, the kids lights it up in big wins and goes in a shell in tight games. And its not like the big wins are carried on Oglewinkels shoulders either. Look at the Minny game last year as a perfect example. JO contributed on two nice 3s to end the half, shot 70% from 3 and the offense was basically geared towards getting him his looks. We didn't win the Minny game because of his shooting, in fact, we pulled away when he was on the bench but it was once of his best games as a Hawk.

Then the kid goes into a cave and doesn't have another double-digit game for a month in spite of the constant high screens that our bigs are setting for him while our offense looks like a three ringed circus.

The kid simply isn't a gamer. Turn off the lights and he can he could shoot for days, turn on the lights and his nutz pucker up into his sack....not a good combination for success.
This sums it up pretty well actually. I for one, would love to see him light it up, and believe that he could. Just needs to stop thinking too much. To rip a quote from Road Trip "the kid is all brains.....not enough **** and balls."

Josh's playing time needs to decrease. Jok's needs to increase.

Iowa's half-court offense is painful laborous struggle -- mostly because of guard shooting. I would trade Jok's defense weaknesses (he's only going to get better by playing since he can't guard anyone on the bench) for a guy that can hit outside shot and make it easier for White and Woody/King Olas to receive the ball.

Fran likes both Josh and Peter.

I think they will both get their share of minutes, maybe just about the same when it's all said and done. I also think their shooting stats will be very similar.

Fran won't make any drastic changes in the rotation, except to tighten it up in Big Ten play, with Uhl and Dickerson getting fewer minutes.

Fran likes both Josh and Peter.

I think they will both get their share of minutes, maybe just about the same when it's all said and done. I also think their shooting stats will be very similar.

Fran won't make any drastic changes in the rotation, except to tighten it up in Big Ten play, with Uhl and Dickerson getting fewer minutes.

I don't see Uhls PT decreasing. I wish he could take minutes at the 2 but thats not realistic.

Jeremy Morgan
FG - 38.9%
FT - 42.9%
3P - 23.8%

Peter Jok
FG - 29.8%
FT - 100%
3P - 30.4%

I'm not bragging on Jok with these stats but also not pining for Morgan.

Ill stand by what I said. Jok needs to be able to shoot much better if its going to even out his terrible D and TOs. Morgans a better all around player.

I think it is all in his head. Been watching him closely in games, and when the ball gets moved around and the play is unfolding for him to accept a pass and pull the trigger, he doesn't just catch and shoot, there is some slight stutter step, like he was thinking about it, then passes. And then the times it looks like he's gonna get the ball and maybe not pull the trigger, he ends up pulling it. Seems like he is out of sync most of the time.

He does hesitate to shoot when open, seems to be thinking about taking the shot. Probably should just automatically shoot when open without thinking......

He does do a lot on the floor and appears to be a steadying influence out there. Very few turnovers, good D, very good passing and a cool demeanor to go with his court savvy.....

Sometimes our three point shooters are open on the wing and the PG will pass the ball to the other side. The shooters are in place, in one of their spots and do not receive the ball....

Josh does do a lot more out there, but we need him to start hitting his shots. He is capable, we have seen, on occasion, his ability to light it up, just not enough. There is still time to get things straightened out....

:rolleyes:

Ill stand by what I said. Jok needs to be able to shoot much better if its going to even out his terrible D and TOs. Morgans a better all around player.

I couldn't find any defensive stats so I went with what was available. If you have seen Morgan play multiple times and he's a lock down defender then you may be right. I only saw him play at the state tournament in high school and his defense didn't impress me...but that was 2 years ago.

We'll shelf this conversation for now. It's yet to be determined which of these guys will have a better college career. Perhaps we'll get a little insight when they play each other in a few days.

Who was the guy our JUCO point guard was bffs with and was trying to convince to come to Iowa? I wonder how that guy is doing this year? I believe he was much higher touted than the guy we got.

Josh will be fine. His percentage on 3's last year was pretty good. He won't be a star, but Fran is clear that J's defense, passing, assist to turnover ratio, rebounding and general play on the floor is pretty darn good and that he will get playing time as a sub in the top 7-8. Fine with me. I guess I am ok with Fran making the call on playing time for his kids rather than the Hawkeyenation message board.

Well said, Doc....

:rolleyes:

Latest posts