Time To Get CHA Rocking - Wake Up Pathetic Student Body

So the Duke fans who show up in full force have an easier student schedule than Iowa fans? HA HA... if you think college life is hard... good luck with your first job!

Nobody is holding you at gunpoint forcing you to go to Iowa....so pack up and leave!

Attending a great school like Iowa is the experience of the lifetime. You should cherish your time there. It's a great opportunity.

If you don't like sports, then fine. So be it.

I wasn't talking about me. I was a Hawk fan as soon as I came out of the womb. I love sports, was a three sport athlete in high school.

I just think its kind of tacky to go after college kids when there are thousands of other available seats that aren't in the student section.

So the Duke fans who show up in full force have an easier student schedule than Iowa fans? HA HA... if you think college life is hard... good luck with your first job!

Difference being Duke is an established program that is in the national title almost every year. Students here aren't going to plan ahead if they aren't going to watch a very good team. May come as a big disappointment to all of you but thats thats just the way it is. 3 years of Lick will suck the life out of a fanbase.

Tell the students not attending games that something is happening that has not been seen in CHA for some time by the home team;

Pressing, fastbreaks, blocked shots, alley-oops passes and slam dunks!

Students have alot on their plate...how about somebody start calling out ALL Iowa fans. When people do go they just sit on their hands anyways.

Wrong!

I have been to every home game except MSU...the crowd has been much better this year and has gotten louder and more involved as the season has progressed.

The student body's attendance may be sparse..but they actually pick up on chants that the cheerleaders start. As long as the chant isn't something straight out of "bring it on", it should be something the entire arena is yelling.

The next time one of those little five foot cheerleaders is in front of you trying to get you to yell along to the defense cheer, don't look past her like she's obstructing your view of the game..help out...

I think that peer pressure by those who want everyone to sit down and be quiet is overwhelming...if they want a quiet, enjoyable experience, they should watch it from the concourse. Are you going to get kicked out of your seat for cheering too loud for the hawks? Basketball games are not meant to be enjoyed quietly..so if any of you guys have tickets and attend...join in on chants that are going on in the arena. Use that peer pressure to your advantage instead, and ask those around you why they arent joining in...

There are plenty of opportunities for the crowd to get loud and crazy...but more people need to be willing to pressure those around them to get loud and crazy too

I agree with a lot of points here made by HawkeyeDaniel, as I am going to be in college at Iowa next year and all the people that I know going are getting tickets for football but not basketball, Iowa basketball just is not a priority to many highschool/college students these days. Once the program improves attendance will get better, we have too many fair weathered fans around the program.

Also if you are criticizing students, how many games have you actually attended this year? Most of the seats at CHA are not for students or student friendly.

We've got a student enrollment of 25,000+, and we struggle to get more than 100 of them there for a basketball game. That, folks, is pathetic.

As for their excuses, they are laughable.

*No money? Wrong. Their basketball season tickets are extremely inexpensive, much more so than football, and 10,000+ of those are sold.
*No time/too much on their plate? Wrong. It's 2 hours on a weeknight or weekend, and most of them aren't spending that time with their heads in a book. Get real.
*Bad seats? Wrong. I'm a Golden Hawk donor and there are students with seats that are as good, if not better, than mine. Iowa State and Purdue students, as examples, have seats that are the same, if not worse, than the Hawks Nests seats.

It's time for our student body to sack up and get to the games...and make a difference.

In the interest of full disclosure, it's time for the rest of the general public to do the same. Get your tickets bought, get to Carver, and get out of our seats and make some freaking noise. It's not a time to talk about work (which I hear those conversations all the time DURING the game) or family. If you want to do that, stay home. It's a sporting event, so cut the smalltalk, pay attention to the game, and cheer for God's sake.

We've got a student enrollment of 25,000+, and we struggle to get more than 100 of them there for a basketball game. That, folks, is pathetic.

As for their excuses, they are laughable.

*No money? Wrong. Their basketball season tickets are extremely inexpensive, much more so than football, and 10,000+ of those are sold.
*No time/too much on their plate? Wrong. It's 2 hours on a weeknight or weekend, and most of them aren't spending that time with their heads in a book. Get real.
*Bad seats? Wrong. I'm a Golden Hawk donor and there are students with seats that are as good, if not better, than mine. Iowa State and Purdue students, as examples, have seats that are the same, if not worse, than the Hawks Nests seats.

It's time for our student body to sack up and get to the games...and make a difference.

In the interest of full disclosure, it's time for the rest of the general public to do the same. Get your tickets bought, get to Carver, and get out of our seats and make some freaking noise. It's not a time to talk about work (which I hear those conversations all the time DURING the game) or family. If you want to do that, stay home. It's a sporting event, so cut the smalltalk, pay attention to the game, and cheer for God's sake.

Well played my friend.

If I was Gary Barta, I would commission Coach Ferentz to talk up the Men's Basketball program and "encourage" him to attend some games. Nobody listens to Barta. The majority of Hawk fans pay attention to Ferentz. If he made an attempt, gimmicky as it may be, I believe it would be received very well.

If I thought there was a chance that Coach Ferentz would be in attendance I would have a ticket in one hand and a sharpie in the other for an autograph. I don't believe Coach McCaffery could complain about the spotlight being away from him. It's WAY too early in his career at Iowa to challenge Kirk in that regard anyway.

Likewise, I believe Barta & the BB program would benefit from a "Student Athlete" night every month or so. Give a couple hundred tickets to our Football, Wrestling, Women's BB etc. and make sure everyone knows they're going. It would be a lot of excitement for students and fans alike to mingle with all of them and get a good noisy crowd going.

I understand the arguements which is why I will be attending 90% plus next year, but a lot of students just dont see it as a priority. As the team improves so will attendance. I personally wish I had more free time this year to go to games while theyre cheap because these new hawks are very fun to watch.

Nobody is holding you at gunpoint forcing you to go to Iowa....so pack up and leave!

Attending a great school like Iowa is the experience of the lifetime. You should cherish your time there. It's a great opportunity.

If you don't like sports, then fine. So be it.

I didn't choose Iowa for the sports. I'm a die-hard Hawkeye fan, and I would be no matter where I went to school. If ISU were better for my future (say I wanted to be a vet), I'd have gone there, but still been a Hawkeye first. But the U of I has a great journalism program, so this is where I am. The fact that this is the home of the Hawks is just a bonus.

But I won't hold that against any student who roots for Illinois/ISU/Mizzou/etc. first if they don't want to make watching the Hawks a priority. The Hawks aren't their team.

Now Hawkeye fan-students who don't show up? Get your a** into Carver. If you claim to be a college student, the all-nighter should be old pat for you (sure as hell is for me). I've missed two games this year: one for a paper that took over 20 hours to do (had to research and write in a day), and another for work. The one I "missed" for work: MSU on Wednesday. I got off when there was about 18 minutes to go in the game. I drove to Kinnick, parked in the west lot, and ran all the way to Carver to see the final 9:45. And it was well worth the trip.

Even drove up to a couple games over break, but I couldn't afford to go to them all. 2 1/2 hour drive, with my low gas funds, plus driving a bucket of bolts, doesn't make for consistent traveling for a game.

Last edited:
I'll call you out, Hawkeyedaniel. And here is why.

If we were better this year then papers being due and an hour and a half drive during break versus spending time with family (you do have a month to do that, right?) would not be brought up by you. You would be talking about how cool it was to be in CHA that game and not making excuses for doing whatever comes to mind.

If you had just mentioned one thing had kept you away, fine. But you came up with several things. That smacks of finding reasons not to go to games because we aren't that good right now.

That's fine. But at least be honest about it.

Yea alot of the students just dont understand the history of Iowa bball they didnt grow up with it like a lot of us did. They will come back with success though.

The student section at CHA has been pathetic as long as I can remember, and I used to be part of that crowd.

1982 Iowa grad here.

When I was at Iowa (78-82), a BB ticket was much much harder to get than a FB ticket. The reverse now is obviously true.

Why?

W-I-N-N-I-N-G

It's that simple really. Put a watchable, exciting and winnable product on the court/field and "they will come."

Note to HawkeyeDaniel.

Unless I am mistaken, a majority of students at the U. of I. ARE from Iowa. I believe 58%, roughly, are from Iowa. You are a good fan, but you keep making excuses that don't fly. I will give you that after fans didn't like Alford that they had the life sucked out of them as far as basketball goes under Lick.

However, you are not really that well informed regarding your statements about the Indiana fan base. They are in fact MUCH better basketball fans than Iowa and they would show up in much greater numbers than Iowa fans, had they had the same experiences in the last ten years.

By the way, college kids can always use the lack of money excuse. But what you are saying is they won't show up unless we are good. When the team is doing what they are doing this year, that is a horrible rationale. They are on the way up and the students should be there with them. It will take time to get there, and I won't disparage any particular student. They are coming around, as can be seen by student ticket sales from last year to this year. But all of your reasons that they aren't buying are just excuses that could always be made.

The thing is, they would never make those excuses at Indiana. They would just show up. And they don't leave games early there, either, like the older crowd does in Iowa City.

They are different fan bases, and their basketball fans are better than ours just like our football fans are better than theirs.

It's all about the product on the court. Fran definitely has this program headed in the right direction but you can't fault fans and the students for not pouring into Carver.

The Iowa basketball program has been down for a long time. Success does not happen overnight and neither does the return of the fan base.

The fans will come back. For me, I live in Des Moines and it does take a lot of planning and money to get over to Carver for a basketball game. And so when you consider the time and money involved getting over to Carver is not always that easy. If I lived in/around Iowa City I definitely would take in more games. But for those of us not right there in Iowa City, there is planning involved. And right now, while I feel the team is headed in the right direction, I am not sure I want to plunk down what amounts to about $100 to buy tickets/gas/food for a product that is still average at best.

Again, Fran is doing a great job. With winning comes fans.

As for the students, I can't fault them for not filling the student section. Iowa has won two games in a row for the first time in a long time. So it will take some times for the fans to start making that decision on spending their money on watching the basketball program.

It's all about winning. You can't fault the fans ... Our fan base is no different than any other. I think we will see attendance start to creep up from here on out.

This is for everyone, and not just HawkeyeDaniel.

HawkeyeDaniel, your responses in this thread show the difference between an Iowa basketball fan and an Indiana basketball fan.

No one at IU would be caught dead making up the reasons you have for not making games. I realize you have mostly been maknig excuses for others, and not yourself. However, in doing so you show us the difference between them and us.

Our fans say things like you have said, and the older fans leave the games early, even when they are in doubt sometimes. That doesn't happen at Indiana.

That is just the way it is. We are decent basketball fans, and the lack in attendance is understandable, given what the fan base has been through. But it wouldn't have happened at IU. Maybe a little downturn, but not like Iowa if they had been through the same thing as of late.

Don't get me wrong. I was a student for the 1983-1984 through 1986-987 seasons. They were different issues then, but there were some slight attendance issues. Fans missed games against lessor non-con opponents back then and also games over holiday break. But the tickets were paid for and not used back then. And tickets were in such high demand they had split-season tickets. The season was broken in half so that you could order a half of a season season ticket or two half season season tickets to get the full season.

Anyway, again, I hope it doesn't seem like I am picking on you. It's just that I realized your comments highlighted a difference between our the two fan bases that some on this thread don't realize exists.

Are students really going to complain about the ticket prices for Iowa basketball season tickets?? They run $4.50 a ticket for 17 games. It's basically the cost of an XBox 360 or PS3 game. Don't tell me college students don't have money for those, or beer, or whatever.

Most of us know what college is like, but complaining that it costs too much money for $75 season tickets is just not valid.

Latest posts