Time to eliminate youth tackle football

Matt ******* Gatens.

Gotcha Duff:

And if you look at my now vilified Gatens post, it was all based on statistical data. One of those was that he wasn't in the Top Ten in the conference in scoring, rebounding, or assists. His performance in the last two games has got him to number 10 in scoring. Hope he keeps it up. That would be the mark of a great player.

In a 4A school you just can't assume your child can wait and play jr high/high school.

That is another tough part. If not participating in youth FB doesn't allow the kid to get playing time in junior high, and thus does not allow him to get playing time in high school, that is clearly a lost opportunity. If youth tackle football was eliminated altogether you would do away with this problem. No kids would have "head starts" on others, everyone would be putting the pads on for the first time in junior high.

I do feel that more often than not a kid will not be stunted at all by not playing tackle football in elementary. If the kid knows how to run, catch, and throw, and someone takes the time to teach them how to block and tackle (without pads, without collisions), they will be caught up with their peers in a matter of a few practices. We probably grossly overestimate how much kids actually learn by participating in youth tackle football.

Ok so obviously 7-8 is too young they don't know what they are even doing. In my town it starts at 10 which I think is completely fine. It gives you enough time to learn the sport before middle school ans high school.

I didn't play "organized" tackle football until I was in 7th grade. Many kids had played tackle football for a couple of years before that. It didn't matter, they weren't any better. High school football success is about have some decent athletism and being tough, that is it. Learning to tackle at 10 vs 13 doesn't make you better.

That is another tough part. If not participating in youth FB doesn't allow the kid to get playing time in junior high, and thus does not allow him to get playing time in high school, that is clearly a lost opportunity. If youth tackle football was eliminated altogether you would do away with this problem. No kids would have "head starts" on others, everyone would be putting the pads on for the first time in junior high.

I do feel that more often than not a kid will not be stunted at all by not playing tackle football in elementary. If the kid knows how to run, catch, and throw, and someone takes the time to teach them how to block and tackle (without pads, without collisions), they will be caught up with their peers in a matter of a few practices. We probably grossly overestimate how much kids actually learn by participating in youth tackle football.

after watching other sports like soccer around here, I don't think I agree. The kids can catch up but it will take seasons and dedication.

Its unfortunate because I push my kids to try different sports and that might hinder them in excelling at just one sport.

after watching other sports like soccer around here, I don't think I agree. The kids can catch up but it will take seasons and dedication.

Its unfortunate because I push my kids to try different sports and that might hinder them in excelling at just one sport.

It is unreal how specialized sports has become. Kids play one sport all year now, as they must to have a chance to make the big time, and of course every kid's parent thinks there kid is going to hit the big time. Gone are the days of your best athlete being a 4 sport star, anymore you are lucky if they go out for 2 sports.

My son is in 7th grade and he already has friends that are giving up football to concentrate on baseball, or giving up baseball to focus on golf. There are USSSA baseball teams that have been having indoor practice since November.

My youngest played flag football for the first time last year at 6 years old. Before each practice the kids would screw around with a football and tackle each other. I seen worse hits put on with them just horsing around wearing no pads than they put on each other in practice. So my attitude is if these kids are going to tackle each other then they might as well put the pads on so the coaches and teach them the proper techniques.

In a 4A school you just can't assume your child can wait and play jr high/high school.

Just not true. Some kids grow at different rates. You can learn all the techinical aspects of football without puting a helmet on.

I know of many "studs" in junior high that barely played in high school.

There are countless examples of DI football players playing one or two years in high school then getting a full ride.

Tackling each other, in general, does not cause head injuries. Putting on the helmet and doing it is what causes the head trama. Without a helmet you don't use your head to tackle. There were fewer concusions in the old days of football then there are today, just for this reason.

This isn't an absolute statement, injuries happen either way, but you don't lead with your head/facemask if you don't have a helmet on.

I agree that I see no earthly reason why 7-8 year old kids should be playing tackle football. Football above all other sports requires educated and knowledable coaching to be played safely. I encounter youth basketball coaches on a weekly basis. Many couldn't find thier own as5 with two hands. There is no way on earth I would let one of them try and teach my kid football.

Agree. Many youth coaches get full of themselves and their coaching ability. Fundamentals go to the wayside, and they concern themselves with W's/L's.

Just not true. Some kids grow at different rates. You can learn all the techinical aspects of football without puting a helmet on.

There are countless examples of DI football players playing one or two years in high school then getting a full ride.

I agree. I would be there is little if any correlation between players starting organized football in 4th grade and making it to the NFL compared with players that start in 7th or 8th grade, when adjusted for race, demographics, geography, etc.

Genetics plays a WAY bigger role in who is able to perform at a high level.

Agree. Many youth coaches get full of themselves and their coaching ability. Fundamentals go to the wayside, and they concern themselves with W's/L's.

Ya I remember seeing a youtube of a "tough guy" coach who was making his 5th grade players try to tackle him (the adult coach). They were bouncing off him like flies of course and one of them broke his arm so the coach got into a little trouble.

I didn't say it could not happen, just that you can't count on it.

I agree. I would be there is little if any correlation between players starting organized football in 4th grade and making it to the NFL compared with players that start in 7th or 8th grade, when adjusted for race, demographics, geography, etc.

Genetics plays a WAY bigger role in who is able to perform at a high level.
I think you guys missed my point. I was saying that in a bigger school youth sports may be all a child gets if they are not in the upper tier of ability. Not that it is needed to play later on.

I actually wish there was a little less in youth. I came from a small Iowa town. Little league baseball started summer after3rd grade and that was the first opportunity to play anything. My son is not blessed with Athleticism and I believe as he grows older he can learn the fundamentals, but I have doubt that he will be at a 4A level. I would rather spend time with him myself helping him develop. He started wrestling late and has had a hard time. In practice with other beginners he holds his own, but go to a tournament and he gets schooled most the time by kids his age with 2 or 3 years more experience.

Organized youth football exists for one reason, and one reason only. To give the dads who's glory years were high school football an avenue to continue living vicariously through their son's sports accomplishments. It's absolutely pathetic. No parent in their right mind should subject a first or second grader (7-8 year olds) to tackle football unless they were a complete loser who's self-esteem and self-worth was predicated on how well his son did in sports. Tackle football shouldn't start until somewhere around age 12-13 when a child's body is more developed and prepared for that kind of contact. In addition, I've seen too many kids who didn't develop until later get completely discouraged playing football that early. The goal of youth sports shouldn't be to weed out "undeserving" kids who may develop later in their teenage years...it should be to develop a love for the game and to develop a sense of teamwork and learn the joy of hardwork and accomplishment.

All you pseudo-tough guys in this thread crack me up!

Ding ding ding.

I agree with you. Solid post.

I actually wish there was a little less in youth. I came from a small Iowa town. Little league baseball started summer after3rd grade and that was the first opportunity to play anything. My son is not blessed with Athleticism and I believe as he grows older he can learn the fundamentals, but I have doubt that he will be at a 4A level. I would rather spend time with him myself helping him develop. He started wrestling late and has had a hard time. In practice with other beginners he holds his own, but go to a tournament and he gets schooled most the time by kids his age with 2 or 3 years more experience.

3rd grade? Sounds like your town needs to develop a better youth program.

It is unreal how specialized sports has become. Kids play one sport all year now, as they must to have a chance to make the big time, and of course every kid's parent thinks there kid is going to hit the big time. Gone are the days of your best athlete being a 4 sport star, anymore you are lucky if they go out for 2 sports.

My son is in 7th grade and he already has friends that are giving up football to concentrate on baseball, or giving up baseball to focus on golf. There are USSSA baseball teams that have been having indoor practice since November.

This x1000.

Kids are getting burnt out on sports more than ever and getting overuse injuries due to the specialization in sports these days.

Latest posts