Time to bench Woodbury???

Hawkfnntn

I feel that it is. He is struggling big time. His confidence isn't very high. Basabe has been playing pretty well and it's almost tough to want to take him out of the role he's getting comfortable with too. But he deserves more mins and so does Mcabe. Gabe brought some effort and didn't do too bad out there. (other then bricking free throws that goes for Mcabe too) I have a bad feeling that by the end of the year we might be wishing that Woodbury had red shirted. At what point does his production on the court trump experience gained by playing?

If you did bench Woodbury I would think McCabe would be the starter as Basabe has been doing really well coming off the bench. But I don't know, I could go either way with this as his struggles are not because of a lack of effort.

He is still contributing a lot on the defensive end/rebounding (when he stays out of foul trouble).

I'd rather have him with the year of playing time experience when we are ready to take the jump next year than just getting his feet wet.

There is a huge difference between Woodbury's defense and Gabe's defense. Keep running Woodbury out there, whatever lumps he is taking now will pay off in the long run.

It's been tough to watch. How many times did he get stripped of the ball last night? He's just getting pushed around too much.

He is young and will be really good. I don't see a problem with him starting. Basabe is getting starter minutes anyway so who cares. He comes in and really gives us a boost.

There is a huge difference between Woodbury's defense and Gabe's defense. Keep running Woodbury out there, whatever lumps he is taking now will pay off in the long run.

But the problem is this team has a legitimate chance in making the NCAA Tournament. I want the starters to be the best 5 that give Iowa the best chance to win. If it is Woodbury then great, keep him out there, but it is odd that when it is crunch time and the game is on the line Woodbury is never to be found on the court. In fact we are seeing more and more of Olaseni.

It's been tough to watch. How many times did he get stripped of the ball last night? He's just getting pushed around too much.

It has been tough to watch and it was frustrating seeing Ohio State rip the ball out of his hands. He will get better from the experience; the more he gets knocked around this year, the more he should realize what he will need to do against the big bodies of the B1G the rest of his college career. During the off-season he really needs to work on his upper body, arm and hand strength. He can be a force inside but needs to work on it.

Hes doing some good things, I just hope he keeps his head up. Hes getting beat to **** in Big 10 play and there is a long ways to go on the schedule. Its a process and I hope he understands that because hes gonna be a great player down the road for Iowa.

At this point that is the ultimate question. Are the lumps worth it depending on his confidence and his play being what it is so far. It's too late now to red shirt obviously so to me it's a matter of how they use him. I for one try to take whatever pressure he's feeling by not starting him now and playing him with what might seem to be favorable matchups on the court. The kid has to get stronger and just more aggressive without getting the ticky tack fouls. I can put up with below avg free throw shooting cause that means he's drawing fouls. But he's not even getting to the line to miss or make any.

He should not be benched. Let him stay in the game and feel the frustration of sitting when he gets his 2 quick fouls. That's just the way big guys learn to play the game. He'll be fine and it really doesn't hurt us at all. Basabe comes in and steps it up, giving Woody a great example of how the game is played.

Woodbury needs to get his hands up on defense, if you're 7 ft he needs to play bigger than he has been. He's not taking advantage of his height. With that said, this is all great experience for him. He needs to figure out how to stay out of foul trouble in order to stay on the floor.

He should not be benched. Let him stay in the game and feel the frustration of sitting when he gets his 2 quick fouls. That's just the way big guys learn to play the game. He'll be fine and it really doesn't hurt us at all. Basabe comes in and steps it up, giving Woody a great example of how the game is played.
I understand that line of thinking. But does that not hurt the team? To me that's favoring the developing of a single player (who isn't close to ready or where he will be in a couple yrs)over the good of the team. Having him struggle early in games getting quick fouls and turnovers is certainly a learning experience. But at what expense? Couldn't they find different situations to put him in to get that experience? Saying it doesn't hurt the team I disagree with.

But the problem is this team has a legitimate chance in making the NCAA Tournament. I want the starters to be the best 5 that give Iowa the best chance to win. If it is Woodbury then great, keep him out there, but it is odd that when it is crunch time and the game is on the line Woodbury is never to be found on the court. In fact we are seeing more and more of Olaseni.

Sounds like you want enders, not starters.

I understand that line of thinking. But does that not hurt the team? To me that's favoring the developing of a single player (who isn't close to ready or where he will be in a couple yrs)over the good of the team. Having him struggle early in games getting quick fouls and turnovers is certainly a learning experience. But at what expense? Couldn't they find different situations to put him in to get that experience? Saying it doesn't hurt the team I disagree with.

What if his development is for the good of the team?

I tell you one thing. He needs to work on his vertical jump in the offseason. I know he is still growing into his body, but the guy has no hops! Get some strength in those legs! How does a 7' 1" guy get blocked so much?

Woodbury needs to get his hands up on defense, if you're 7 ft he needs to play bigger than he has been. He's not taking advantage of his height. With that said, this is all great experience for him. He needs to figure out how to stay out of foul trouble in order to stay on the floor.

He lacks a vertical (strength), and quickness of hands and feet. He will get better as he matures. I would prefer to dance this year. Strength and quickness aren't going to change much this year.

He does fine bodying up big men. His defense weakness is moving feet to provide held defense. When he helps he fouls. When he doesn't help, other teams score. Some is lack of quickness. Some lack of experience. Some of the experience will come in practice if Fran's coaching moves lately continue.

Time is on his side. He's young.

This isnt an Iowa team thats gonna make a deep run in the NCAA tournament anyway. Im all in favor of letting Woodbury get his minutes and learn to battle in the Big10. Im not saying to throw this yr away , just think its more beneficial to let him develop on the court.

Curious what lineup for Iowa has the best +/-? Anyone have those stats.

Did you watch us play last year at all? Our interior defense was flat out terrible. We got destroyed against physical teams inside. Woodbury makes a huge difference defensively. Playing him helps the entire team, even if he's not scoring.

Latest posts