time for change

I'm not riding Iowa at all in my bracket this season BUT I'd be highly disturbed if they came out for the 3rd game in a row, listless. Zero D, lazy, and cranking bricks.

I'm not riding Iowa at all in my bracket this season BUT I'd be highly disturbed if they came out for the 3rd game in a row, listless. Zero D, lazy, and cranking bricks.
Most that are bricks are by one player. And there aren't that many. Most by that player are more awkward than bricks. The rest are simply misses. Those are correctable with small mechanic corrections

The key word in your post is listless. While I've mentiond since January the heavy minutes the starters have been logging, that will no longer fly after a week off and won't help in quelling certain rumors.

I'm solidly in the camp that he stays, and actually believe we played a bit over our head at times and stole some valuable wins and it evened up late. But to come out looking listless would do little to quell the rumors for those who believe it and look to connect dots.

Awe, refreshing truth. Not just blind fanaticism. Our defense has cost us every season. At this point after these many years with Fran it is clear defense is not his thing.

Still, he’s one hell of an offensive coach. No one wants a Lickliter type of coach in Iowa City again.

Folding in the NCAA tournament is getting old though. He doesn’t need to figure it out. We all know it’s a lack of defense skill sets among the type of players he recruits. Good shooters overall, great kids who aren’t in trouble with the law. That’s important.

Dribbling a ball is a skill set for sure. It’s amazing how quick some players can move while dribbling the ball. What is head scratching though is how can a player who is dribbling the ball out quick a defender to the hoop who is not dribbling the ball? How much slower is that defender?? It’s been a serious problem for Fran.

I am not ready to jump ship on Fran just yet. He seriously needs to upgrade his defense though.

As far as the loss in the B1G tournament, let’s not forget who won the tournament last year. We have to be fair.

Maybe we all will get a big surprises this time around. Stranger things have happened in sports. We have had what APPEARED to be better teams in March Madness the last two years and that didn’t pan out. All I am saying is “the law of averages”. You never know!
Players need to understand gap and angles to be a really good on ball defender. Having great reaction time doesn't hurt either. No matter how good of a defender a person is, if they play too tight, they should/will get beat or foul. Great offensive players know how to read a defender and be able to attack off the dribble or to shoot.

Players need to understand gap and angles to be a really good on ball defender. Having great reaction time doesn't hurt either. No matter how good of a defender a person is, if they play too tight, they should/will get beat or foul. Great offensive players know how to read a defender and be able to attack off the dribble or to shoot.
Interesting though...Dr Toms teams did not play great half court D either, yet he made multiple sweet 16s. I suppose his press was the Xfactor, but not late in his career when other teams had it figured out.

Interesting though...Dr Toms teams did not play great half court D either, yet he made multiple sweet 16s. I suppose his press was the Xfactor, but not late in his career when other teams had it figured out.
Out of his 3, he only made it one time with players he recruited. Making the sweet 16 his first two years would have been the worst they should have done. He may have made another if Street wouldn't have died. Davis' philosophy is pretty similar to Fran's in that they both wanted to be up-tempo and cause the other team to play too fast and turn it over or take bad shots.

Yes we run the risk of the disastrous Lickliter area. But Fran has taken Iowa as far as he can. Just like Kirk, Iowa needs young head coaches
Fran is doing a great job and keeping the Hawks competitive. Only things that makes me nervous is him throwing down with ref and having a heart attack simultaneously. Hope Fran coaches at Iowa until he wishes to retire.

Out of his 3, he only made it one time with players he recruited. Making the sweet 16 his first two years would have been the worst they should have done. He may have made another if Street wouldn't have died. Davis' philosophy is pretty similar to Fran's in that they both wanted to be up-tempo and cause the other team to play too fast and turn it over or take bad shots.
He would have had another in 1989 if Ray Thompson wasn't declared ineligible.

I still would like to know what really happened there. He was eligible by every standard but the university if I remember right.
That was during the height of Hunger Rawlings and his crusade to have Iowa unilaterally declare freshmen athletes ineligible for competition if the NCAA didn't do it across the board.

Our recruiting competition must have had a field day with that one.

I remember the idiot, just didn't remember what the deal was. Wasn't sure if there was more to it or not.

I remember the idiot, just didn't remember what the deal was. Wasn't sure if there was more to it or not.
I'm sure there was. And when the university not only declared Thompson ineligible but did it right before they were supposed to leave for the tournament site, Davis was PISSED.

Hayden had the ultimate last word. Rawlings continued to double and triple down on his stance, even interrupting coaches press conferences. When finally asked for his opinion, Fry declared that he'd like to redshirt his president.

I'm sure there was. And when the university not only declared Thompson ineligible but did it right before they were supposed to leave for the tournament site, Davis was PISSED.

Hayden had the ultimate last word. Rawlings continued to double and triple down on his stance, even interrupting coaches press conferences. When finally asked for his opinion, Fry declared that he'd like to redshirt his president.
I remember both. I had a pretty good laugh when Fry said that.

There are currently 358 Div-1 BB teams
65 make the Dance

Several (1/3 (?)) because of a conference tournament

That's 18.15% total including auto bids.

The numbers speak for themselves.

You can't include the 200+ low majors when talking about making the tourney. basically 60% of Big 12, Big 10, and SEC teams make the dance. It's still an achievement, it shouldn't be expected, but it's not like some rare thing.

Fran has done a good job. I fully expect Iowa to beat Auburn, I expect them to give a Houston team with some injury issues a game. This thread is way out of line IMO. Let's talk again next week.

There you go again with facts. Ain't nobody got time for facts on HN.

Watch out for that incoming horse at full gallop carrying @HaydenHawk56 in his Mr. Tom white knight outfit.
Before someone jumps all over my post, because you know they will, I will say ahead of that, that Iowa and Colgate are the only ones of those 10 that haven't made a Sweet 16. Just quoted the post that said Fran has been keeping Iowa competitive.

well... let's see, how does he keep raising the bar?

came to Iowa after 3 straight losing seasons - got Iowa back to a winning program in year 2 - bar raised

In the 11 previous years before Fran got here (Alford and Lick) - Iowa had 3 seasons above .500 in the B1G. Iowa has been above .500 in the B1G in 10 of the last 11 seasons. - bar raised

From 1999 - 2010/11, the year Fran was hired, so 11 years, Iowa had 3 NCAA appearances. - bar raised

Iowa has now been eligible for 8 NCAA tournaments in the last 10 years. Iowa hasn't had a stretch like that since the late 70's, early 80's. - bar raised

Iowa from 1984 to 2010 - Iowa had 8 B1G First Team selections. - So 26 years. Iowa has had 8 over the last 10 seasons. -bar raised

Iowa has had 7 All American caliber players in school history. Fran has had 4 All American selections since 2016. bar raised

Iowa has never had a NPOY before Fran. - Bar raised.

Iowa went 16 years since it's last conference tournament title, which they won in 2022 - bar raised.

From 1990 - 2007 - 17 years, Iowa had 7 players drafted in the NBA Iowa has had 5 in the last 9 years and will have their 4th in the last 4 years when Kris gets drafted this coming year. - bar raised

Fran is currently the 9th highest paid coach in the B1G. He's spent most of his time at Iowa sitting around the 11th or 12th.

Iowa is getting a lot of ROI out of Fran - the only thing he hasn't done is have a successful NCAA, once he gets to a S16, he will have raised that bar as well and then what will all you guys have to bitch about?
I'm not questioning anything you said as to what he's done, and totally agree with you that the only thing he hasn't done is had a successful NCAA run. What I'm saying is, do you really see the bar continuing to raise or has he plateaued as a coach. I see a great deal of accomplishments, but at this point unless he has some success and makes a tourney run or wins the conference I'm not sure the bar is going anywhere.