Tightened Security at Kinnick

This isn't Iraq or Afghanistan, and this isn't the military. In the United States, local and state law enforcement profiling is racial or religious more often than not, and it DOESN'T work:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...rofiling-on-innocent-muslim-americans/274434/

And it isn't helping prevent attacks like the ones in Paris. Or the ones in Paris earlier this year on Charlie Hebdo. Or the Boston marathon bombing. Or the attacks on churches in South Carolina and across the South.

And you're right, Oklahoma City was 20 years ago. So how about more recently:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/25/u...es-perceptions-of-top-terror-threat.html?_r=0

Also, my response (which did, in fact, imply racism), was using the more colloquial definition of "white." So I'll clarify, hundreds of white, non-hispanic, non-Arab Americans have been recruited by ISIS and other groups. You can split hairs all you want to, but the point still remains.

OMG…Please drop it…Go back to watching MSNBC…I usually enjoy reading your posts about the Hawkeyes but you are losing me with your politics

By no means am I sticking up for this new policy, but is it really that big of a deal that affects all of us? I've gone to sporting events my entire life and never once can I remember bring a murse, backpack, bag, or anything like that.

If it was a no coat or hood policy I might take issue with it, but IMO it doesn't affect me at all and isn't a big deal.

By no means am I sticking up for this new policy, but is it really that big of a deal that affects all of us? I've gone to sporting events my entire life and never once can I remember bring a murse, backpack, bag, or anything like that.

If it was a no coat or hood policy I might take issue with it, but IMO it doesn't affect me at all and isn't a big deal.

Obviously, you are not a woman.

Really, you are quoting the Atlantic and NY Times? Why not make it the trifecta of leftist journalism and quote Salon too. The article you linked to from the Times has already been discredited, confusing mental illness with extremist views has happened frequently on the left, wishful thinking on their part. You failed to mention, the rise in violent crime since the NYPD quit profiling.

Profiling, done by professionals is a very effective tool. Political correctness has saved NO lives.

This. We will never stop terrorist attacks, that is for sure. Yet to spend time and energy patting down 50 year old Asian women is just a waste of time and resources. It is simply an exercise for appearance only at that point to appease a political point of view.

Really, you are quoting the Atlantic and NY Times? Why not make it the trifecta of leftist journalism and quote Salon too. The article you linked to from the Times has already been discredited, confusing mental illness with extremist views has happened frequently on the left, wishful thinking on their part. You failed to mention, the rise in violent crime since the NYPD quit profiling.

Profiling, done by professionals is a very effective tool. Political correctness has saved NO lives.

The line between mental illness and religion is a fine one.

A solitary person afflicted with delusions = mental illness.
A group of people all afflicted with the same delusions (or variations thereof) = religion.

You would be correct. And out of curiousity how many women do you think are voicing their concerns in this thread.
Not on this thread, obviously. However, I guarantee there will be a lot of them doing it come Saturday morning.

How'd this political thread escape the censor's claws on HN? Anyway, the reason why 50 year old men and women of any nationality are searched is because the government can't profile because of PC.
Every 10th person or so is being searched because that ain't profiling (until searching every 10th is politically incorrect).

How many PC profiling instances are being allowed? The police are being PC profiled, for example.

Last edited:
I thought Fort Kinnick was a real fortress. No terrorist in his right mind would attempt to penetrate a place named Fort Kinnick!

I just hope they don't confuse my beer can lined jacket with a suicide vest of dynamite. That would be a waste of a good 12 pack; and the time and resources given to searching me further and stripping me of my coat will be a good distraction to allow the guy 3 places in line behind me with a real bomb to slip inside.

A group of people all afflicted with the same delusions (or variations thereof) = religion.

How tolerant of you. Now you've insulted a great and peaceful religion. (smh)

future-must-not-belong-to-those-who-slander-prophet-islam-mohammad-barack-hussein-obama-muslim-united-nations-september-25-2012-933x445.jpg

This. We will never stop terrorist attacks, that is for sure. Yet to spend time and energy patting down 50 year old Asian women is just a waste of time and resources. It is simply an exercise for appearance only at that point to appease a political point of view.

I think maybe we all got off on a weird tangent, because I completely agree with this. The extra measures are silly and pointless.

We'll it does inconvenience a number of people, even if you're not included in that crowd. The next dumb thing that is done in the name of "security" might, however.

As an anecdote, if they would have done this last week at the wrestling meet, I personally would have been screwed since I brought my toddler son (sans the wife) and needed his diaper bag (unless I am misunderstanding the policy)

Latest posts