Tiger Woods is Back!!

he was pretty muscular for his frame even before he turned pro in his early 20s and has gradually gotten bigger every since. its not like he got ungodly huge out of no where

Never said he commited a crime. He just doesn't represent his sport very well beyond golfing his ball well. There's a lot of history to golf (longer than football). It has always been considered a gentleme's game, and he is no gentlemen.

The fact that so many are willing to put up with his behavior is, I guess, a general willingness to accept the coarsening of society at any cost.

Not to mention his use of performance enhancing drugs. Have you noticed how much smaller he is now?

You're right, there a lot of history to golf. The whole term "gentlemen's game" comes from an age when only those of gentry (meaning wealth) were allowed to play the game, because it was a game of class, and the peasantry couldn't possibly be worthy of the game. So I couldn't care less if Tiger doesn't act like a gentleman on the course.

He's not out there screaming f bombs at the top of his lungs. It's practically under his breath.

I guess Buick and most of his other sponsors agree with me as well.

Yeah, because he didn't start swearing and acting un-gentlemanly on the course until November of 2009 :rolleyes:

He was a skinny little kid in his early to mid twenties. It wasn't until his late twenties early thirties he started to bulk out. Once his competion caught up to him, he turned to other means to enhance his performance.

He got nervous after the stories broke and the PGA tour threatened to start testing. That's why he is smaller now and less dominant.

I can't speak for his sponsors on why they dumped him, but they obviously saw something they didn't like. The rumors on PEDs has been ongoing for some time. He is noticably smaller since his return to the tour.

You're right, they did see something. A little something that was on the front page of the New York Post for more consecutive days than 9/11 was. Something about a fire hydrant and waitresses?

He was a skinny little kid in his early to mid twenties. It wasn't until his late twenties early thirties he started to bulk out. Once his competion caught up to him, he turned to other means to enhance his performance.

He got nervous after the stories broke and the PGA tour threatened to start testing. That's why he is smaller now and less dominant.

He never got huge. He looked like a guy who was fit, athletic. Not a guy who appeared bulked out of his mind. He "beefed up" to like 185. Hardly out of the ordinary for a guy in his 20s/30s.

Never said he commited a crime. He just doesn't represent his sport very well beyond golfing his ball well. There's a lot of history to golf (longer than football). It has always been considered a gentleme's game, and he is no gentlemen.The fact that so many are willing to put up with his behavior is, I guess, a general willingness to accept the coarsening of society at any cost.Not to mention his use of performance enhancing drugs. Have you noticed how much smaller he is now?
You're right, there a lot of history to golf. The whole term "gentlemen's game" comes from an age when only those of gentry (meaning wealth) were allowed to play the game, because it was a game of class, and the peasantry couldn't possibly be worthy of the game. So I couldn't care less if Tiger doesn't act like a gentleman on the course. He's not out there screaming f bombs at the top of his lungs. It's practically under his breath.
I guess Buick and most of his other sponsors agree with me as well.
Yeah, because he didn't start swearing and acting un-gentlemanly on the course until November of 2009 :rolleyes:

Do you remember the US Open at Pebble on the 18th about 6-7 years ago? There was an f-bomb to remember on live TV. Nice ambassadoor of the game. He got called out by the PGA on that one, and still not much has changed.

Regarding your point on history, it's still a gentlemens game (albeit the gals play too). You are still expected to conduct yourself with a certain amount of class, whether it's the Tour or your local muny. It's part of the game.

He was a skinny little kid in his early to mid twenties. It wasn't until his late twenties early thirties he started to bulk out. Once his competion caught up to him, he turned to other means to enhance his performance.He got nervous after the stories broke and the PGA tour threatened to start testing. That's why he is smaller now and less dominant.

he was far from skinny. I heard when he was at standard he was the strongest man there pound for pound

He was a skinny little kid in his early to mid twenties. It wasn't until his late twenties early thirties he started to bulk out. Once his competion caught up to him, he turned to other means to enhance his performance.He got nervous after the stories broke and the PGA tour threatened to start testing. That's why he is smaller now and less dominant.
he was far from skinny. I heard when he was at standard he was the strongest man there pound for pound

OK. Look at the film.

Do you remember the US Open at Pebble on the 18th about 6-7 years ago? There was an f-bomb to remember on live TV. Nice ambassadoor of the game. He got called out by the PGA on that one, and still not much has changed.

Regarding your point on history, it's still a gentlemens game (albeit the gals play too). You are still expected to conduct yourself with a certain amount of class, whether it's the Tour or your local muny. It's part of the game.

Obviously not, since Tiger's not the only one who gets visibly upset/****** when something goes wrong.

He's done far more for the game of golf in his career than anyone currently on Tour could ever hope to do. Golf was floundering before he came along, and now it's a spectator sport that gets tons of coverage every weekend on ESPN. Without Tiger, that likely doesn't happen. So ***** about his behavior all you want, but he's good for the game, and arguably the greatest to ever swing a club.

Do you remember the US Open at Pebble on the 18th about 6-7 years ago? There was an f-bomb to remember on live TV. Nice ambassadoor of the game. He got called out by the PGA on that one, and still not much has changed.Regarding your point on history, it's still a gentlemens game (albeit the gals play too). You are still expected to conduct yourself with a certain amount of class, whether it's the Tour or your local muny. It's part of the game.
Obviously not, since Tiger's not the only one who gets visibly upset/****** when something goes wrong.He's done far more for the game of golf in his career than anyone currently on Tour could ever hope to do. Golf was floundering before he came along, and now it's a spectator sport that gets tons of coverage every weekend on ESPN. Without Tiger, that likely doesn't happen. So ***** about his behavior all you want, but he's good for the game, and arguably the greatest to ever swing a club.

Wrong. He's brought more money into the game, but that doesn't necessarily translate to "good for the game." Depends on your perspective.

We shall see if history considers him as "the greatest to swing a club."

Wrong. He's brought more money into the game, but that doesn't necessarily translate to "good for the game." Depends on your perspective.

We shall see if history considers him as "the greatest to swing a club."

He brought life to the game. Tons of kids, myself included, found interest/love in the game because of Tiger (Hell, when I was 7-8 years old, I never went golfing with my dad unless I was wearing a red shirt and a black Nike cap). Has he been better for the game than Jack? Perhaps not. But he's been far better for the game and it's place in American society than any other golfer since Jack left the game.

All of that is far more important than the money, and that stuff comes with more people seeing the game. Tiger draws much more attention to the sport than anyone else.

Last edited:
Wrong. He's brought more money into the game, but that doesn't necessarily translate to "good for the game." Depends on your perspective.We shall see if history considers him as "the greatest to swing a club."
He brought life to the game. Tons of kids, myself included, found interest/love in the game because of Tiger. Has he been better for the game than Jack? Perhaps not. But he's been far better for the game and it's place in American society than any other golfer since Jack left the game.All of that is far more important than the money, and that stuff comes with more people seeing the game. Tiger draws much more attention to the sport than anyone else.

Glad to hear you came to the game. Builds character. Are you still playing regularly?

Glad to hear you came to the game. Builds character. Are you still playing regularly?

Not nearly as often as I would like. The course at home is in awful shape all year long, and Finkbine is too expensive for me to play very often. I used to play almost every day in the summer, up until junior high, when I really started focusing on baseball. I was on the golf team for three years, but lost my interest in the game my junior year of high school. I was playing poorly, and couldn't figure out why, and wasn't getting any help from my coach to fix whatever the issue was. So I dropped it for a couple years to focus on baseball (I've always loved golf, but baseball was always my #1), and ran track as a senior. That move paid off big-time, as I had my best season of baseball as a senior (not even close).

But now I'm back on the links again whenever I can afford it.

Not nearly as often as I would like. The course at home is in awful shape all year long, and Finkbine is too expensive for me to play very often. I used to play almost every day in the summer, up until junior high, when I really started focusing on baseball. I was on the golf team for three years, but lost my interest in the game my junior year of high school. I was playing poorly, and couldn't figure out why, and wasn't getting any help from my coach to fix whatever the issue was. So I dropped it for a couple years to focus on baseball (I've always loved golf, but baseball was always my #1), and ran track as a senior. That move paid off big-time, as I had my best season of baseball as a senior (not even close).But now I'm back on the links again whenever I can afford it.

Cool. Golf's a great game.

No doubt Tiger brought an expansion to the game. Question is whether it's sustainable or not. Lotta courses closing the doors these days.

Not to mention his use of performance enhancing drugs. Have you noticed how much smaller he is now?
1. It could be because he is now 36 years old and his testosterone levels are starting to drop.
2. PED's (depending on what kind you take) have no effect on how "big" you are. I am in no way agreeing with you about Tiger taking PED's, just stating a fact on them.
3. He doesn't need to be big anyways, he's a golfer not a bodybuilder.
4. Maybe he has focused less on muscular size and more on flexibility and functional strength. (which is more important to golfers anyways)
5. I think its hilarious how you assume he is no longer taking PED's because of how much smaller he is.

Sorry. I just get tired of people annointing him as the greatest. I think to be considered the greatest you need to give something back to the sport beyond giving money that comes so easily at the rate he has made it. It comes down to how he represents himself both on and off the course. I've been to the Pro-am days when the pros are much.more accessible. He comes off as cold and arrogant.

OK, I was going to not respond to this thread as others have so eloquently stated what I think in regards to Tiger. His personal life is none of our business, for that matter celebrity or not, we as a people are way too infatuated with other's personal lives, IMO.

But when I read the bolded part above, I have to get on my soapbox now. Why do people think that making money has come easily for Tiger (or anybody that has achieved some level of success)? He has made sacrifices that are unfathomable to most people... from childhood until today. But just because he has sacrificed so much to be in this position today is not why he makes so much money. He has turned all that studying/practicing into being the best at his sport. From mental preparation, daily nutrition, daily exercise program, practice regimen, his all around golf game... he has changed the sport for the better. But this is still not why he gets paid so much money.

He gets paid so much money because of the number of people that buy tickets to the tournaments he has entered, the number of people that watch a golf tournament he is playing in on tv, and the number of people that buy the goods and services of the companies he respresents. Hell he doesn't even need to be at or near the lead for people to tune in when he is playing. He is one of the few people that moves the dial... globally. He has truly brought golf to the masses... globally. The reason so many people tune in to watch him play is to witness greatness. Being great has been turned into something ugly in America these days, so much so that people are starved to see it when it is around. I know that I am.

He has the Tiger Woods Foundation, the Tiger Woods Learning Center, and other charities that he works with. Um, so he does give back to the sport/people. Whether that is enough for people, not sure it really matters in the end. Don't think he can ever do enough to satisfy most people.

So we can disagree on whether we should root for Tiger, but please, people, do not think that making money comes easily for Tiger. He just makes it look easy.

A couple of points.

Golf is still a game for gentlemen. In no other game, if you play it to the rules, do you have to use the same degree of honesty and honor. You score your own game. You call penalties on yourself. You should call them on yourself when no one would ever know. In situations such as chipping or pitching, you can strike your partners ball, and then both you and he get to decide where his ball was at originally.

In these areas, golf is a gentlemen's game. Not so much the often cited swearing, which has something to do with honor, but not everything.

The PGA of America is a non-profit. They give more money to charity than all other sports combined. Player's give back. How many fundraisers do we all play in? The American Cancer Society's cancer card (tm needs to look into this as they have hugely discounted rates at Finkbine). And on and on this goes.

Tiger has been extremely charitable. The First Tee program and several other charities. Arnold Palmer built a children's hospital.

Latest posts