Ticket Sells

1. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but the student section was significantly reduced in size this year. The figure I read is there will be an additional 4500+ tickets available to the public that were designated student section last year. So there is a void to fill - we'll see how quickly that void will be filled.

2. It's an expensive proposition to go to a game. Economy is still not rosy, everything is expensive, seemingly. Gas, food, etc. Not to mention tickets. And if you get saison tackets, seat fees involved, etc.

3. So easy to watch a game at home. Plenty of benefits. For me, one of the big ones is you don't have to sit by a bunch of dumbarse arm chair qbs.

4. For the people who go to the game not necessarily for the game, but for the before and after fun, it is clear that the university is creating an atmosphere to keep these people home. for many it's a big trip and an expensive trip just to get to iowa city. if the day is more of a headache than it used to be, it's just as easy to stay home.

5. These preseason games. Look at 1-4 above and ask yourself if you want all that to see UNI. Or etc.

I'm sure there are more. My prediction is the big 10 slate will be sold out, especially if the team starts out with some positive wins.

It is just easier to stay at home, especially if you have a young family. Better food, most people now have a pretty decent set up as far as a home entertainment system goes.......you don't have to give up a whole Saturday for a football game, which makes the significant other happy. Given the fast paced world we live in these days any block of free time you have is important.

This is directed to those on this thread that are upset that we haven't already sold out every game. I will add a couple of things here, as I was in grade school and middle school in the 1970s and went to a game a year from 1975 until I was at Iowa in 1983. I was a third generation graduate of Iowa, as well, and we were all sports fans.

First off, what was the seating capacity of Kinnick during the 70s? Was it even 63,000? If it was that now, these games might be sold out right now, for all we know. After a little research, I found that these sell outs from before the 1980s ranged per season from 49,000+ to 54,000+ until 1979, when the average gate was 59,000+. That means these hames would all be sell outs right now, if capacity was the same as it was then.

Secondly, maybe you had better hold your criticism and comparisons to the bad old days until the games are actually played and you can see how many open seats there are. And by the way, it isn't JUST the students that are responsible for these games not being sold out at this point.

Additionally, to get season tickets now, you have to pay a lot more before you actually buy your ticket than you did back then. And I would also add the vast majority of Iowans probably fall into a middle class category at most, or below, that have seen their incomes stagnate in real dollars since 2000. In that time, the price of football tickets has soared, I would be willing to bet.

So, since the season hasn't even started yet, I wouldn't be too quick to throw stones at Iowa's fan base quite yet. At least wait until you see the stands at a game whining that you haven't sold every ticket five weeks before your first game seems a little idiotic to me. It might be cause for an article to be written, but not for hand wringing.

And this is coming from someone that probably knows more about Iowa football and it's history than 95% of the people on this board. So I think I have some room to talk.

Far Side Preface: Cartoon of a man talking to a Kangaroo sitting next to him in a bar.
Quote: "oh yeah, well I know a little bit about marsupials myself".

Your seating argument about the lower capacity in the 60s and 70s holds water until you understand what the population has done in Iowa City and the surrounding areas from that time until now. I believe it's increase approximately 30% since 1970 and I'm sure enrollment is a similar figure, although I haven't done the research there. I'm not throwing any stones at anyone...and I think the games will most likely sell out if the product on the field those first few games passes the smell test or eyeball test, however you want to describe it. My take is that the average student isn't as into the program as in the early to mid 80's when you were in school...and I'm kind of dismayed by that. Is it TV and convenience...I believe it is. My point is that there used to be the adrenaline charge of going to the game and being a part of the crowd that could possibly impact the outcome...and students wanted to be a part of that. Certainly there are students that get that now also, but I don't think it's as prevalent as it was in the 80s. It could be the program turnaround in the 80s and winning being new too...but those were some wild *** football games to be a part of.

I get the convenience and not having to give up the whole day, but wow, whatever happened to spending the day smelling the roses...no pun intended.

If this trend continues, I wonder if the Big Ten will just push for a complete non cupcake, 6 home, 6 away schedule. Then they can go to 10 conference games and still play ISU and 1 other P5 team.

The key is it will make for better games on tv and will increase tv revenue, offsetting the lost ticket revenue from a 7th home game.

Ticket price increases, re-seating, tailgating crackdown, weak economy, combined with increasingly improved TV technology and TV availability...yeah, it's obvious why Iowa is having problems getting butts in seats. It has become a "chore" to get to the game. Sad.

I believe a lot goes into it. If they want to play weak opponents don't expect people to pay high ticket prices. Maybe they should try tier pricing $30.00 for uni and ball state $60.00 for big ten games. Also I am sure fans are upset at the early starts as it gives them little time to tailgate. If fans are going to pay high prices for parking they want time to tailgate.

I believe a lot goes into it. If they want to play weak opponents don't expect people to pay high ticket prices. Maybe they should try tier pricing $30.00 for uni and ball state $60.00 for big ten games. Also I am sure fans are upset at the early starts as it gives them little time to tailgate. If fans are going to pay high prices for parking they want time to tailgate.

7k left for UNI
10k left for Ball

UNI game:

63k tickets sold at $60 = $3.8MM
7k tickets left to sell @ $60k = 420k
total if sell out = $4.2MM

your version and lets just say they soldout already - which i believe will be the case for UNI

70k tickets @ $30 = $2.1MM

big numbers at play here, and I don't think they are coming down any time soon. why? don't have to. if they didn't sell another ticket they'd still be way ahead. and i think as the time comes closer to these games, they will be very close to sold out, or totally sold out.

lowering ticket prices by the university prior to the game (to try to sell remainder) is a bad idea by the university - bad taste for people who have already paid full price. if they are still available, donate said tickets to boys/girls clubs of america, or etc.

7k left for UNI
10k left for Ball

UNI game:

63k tickets sold at $60 = $3.8MM
7k tickets left to sell @ $60k = 420k
total if sell out = $4.2MM

your version and lets just say they soldout already - which i believe will be the case for UNI

70k tickets @ $30 = $2.1MM

big numbers at play here, and I don't think they are coming down any time soon. why? don't have to. if they didn't sell another ticket they'd still be way ahead. and i think as the time comes closer to these games, they will be very close to sold out, or totally sold out.

lowering ticket prices by the university prior to the game (to try to sell remainder) is a bad idea by the university - bad taste for people who have already paid full price. if they are still available, donate said tickets to boys/girls clubs of america, or etc.

Still people are spending big money and the early starts don't help. And since they cracked down on people staying late in parking after the game this has to anger people that pay a high price for parking.

Still people are spending big money and the early starts don't help. And since they cracked down on people staying late in parking after the game this has to anger people that pay a high price for parking.

Agree with all of this. When you add ticket prices, parking, and all the other little incrementals it comes out to $200 per game minimum. 7 games per year and you are looking at $1400 per year. For what? Each year we are getting less and less. Less tailgating, less freedom to drink a freaking beer, less freedom to grill, less freedom to set up a friggin tent to keep cool or keep the heat in during November.

The University wants more more more for less less less. Something has to give.

I am perfectly willing to spend the money, IF I judge the entertainment value is worth it. However, you do not even get to be entertained for the whole gameday, it is more like come to town at 10am and leave at 2:30 pm, don't forget to leave your wallet and don't let the door hit you on the *** on your way out of town.

Silly Sally has to Skedattle.

The Hawkeyes are one of my few "hobbies."

I don't boat or belong to an expensive country club or take expensive trips every quarter. I save a portion of my vacation time to spend it on away games in the fall and I save a portion of my discretionary income for the donation, tickets, and other traveling expenses.

With that said, the security crackdown is way way over the top. Ticket prices have become expensive, and, yes, sometimes it's nice to sit in front of the 73" Mitsubishi and not have to fight the lines at the bathrooms or pay $5 for a hot dog.

But I'll keep this as a hobby for sure.

Last edited:
This is my 12th straight year with season tickets, and I sit with a group who has been purchasing season tickets for over 30 years. Here is my take on why ticket sales are lacking:

1. Game day experience has been negatively impacted. For those of us who have been doing this a while, there is a notable change in the atmosphere outside and inside the stadium. The constant construction everywhere around Kinnick does not help things (hospital, football facilities, etc). Also, the tailgating lots have changed a lot in the last few years (old ones gone, new ones built, existing reassigned etc.) and the access of some of the parking passes has changed. For example, a Silver Hawk pass used to put you in the Dental Lot, now you need a Gold Hawk Pass for that lot, and part of it is now for RV parking only.

Simply put, it is not as convenient to attend a game. It's congested with the construction, and the good tailgating lots are reserved for people who have donated the most. Sadly, most of those lots are rarely full anymore except for the marquee games, and parking for everyone not in possession of a Golden Hawk or a Kinnick Society pass must tailgate pretty far away from Kinnick. Also, the new alcohol rules have not really affected the way my group tailgates (although I miss being able to carry my open beer everywhere), but the overall effect has been to tame the "party" atmosphere that once existed. Tailgating was a very entertaining experience before the new rules, and ultimately there were very few people who were really causing any problems. It was just fun to walk around and observe. People were creative, care free and fun because they didn't have to worry about stepping 1 foot too far and getting a ticket. Now everyone seems more guarded and cautious.

If it is your first time to Kinnick, or you don't attend many games, then you will probably have a pretty good time at the game itself. Kinnick is impressive, and it can be really cool to take in that live game experience. For those of us who are there every game each fall, the experience inside Kinnick is getting really dull and commercialized. All the ads are ridiculous. We have to watch commercials on the big video screen during timeouts. There are ads everywhere, and EVERYTHING is sponsored. I've been to other BIG stadiums, and they are not like that. It just seems like they are selling out at Kinnick for the almighty dollar, and it puts a major damper on the experience.

2. Non conference schedule is lacking. Iowa cannot do anything about the BIG schedule, but we really don't want to watch Iowa play UNI, Western Michigan or any other directional school. Those games are meaningless, and typically those visiting teams are so greatly over matched that it leaves Kinnick pretty quiet because the crowd lacks energy. We want more Pittsburghs, Arizonas, Syracuses, etc... The good news is that the BIG has put that new rule into place that schools cannot play FCS teams any longer. That is a greatly welcomed changed.

3. Re-seating of Kinnick has caused some people to just give up their tickets. The product on the field has been mediocre for 5 years now, so it is hard to justify paying a higher donation for your tickets. Also, the re-seating was based on priority points and I know of several people who were royally ticked off because they lost their seats to someone else and couldn't find anything equivalent. That's totally understandable because my group is sitting in a new area next year as well, and we aren't exactly thrilled. More money for worse seats? How do you justify that?

4. Too many 11am games. Don't get me wrong 11am games are sometimes nice, especially when there are some really good night games on TV that I want to get home to watch. Ultimately, 2:30 games provide the best tailgating. Compared to 5 or 6 years ago, not as many people are getting up early to tailgate those 11am games which diminishes the game day atmosphere. Iowa seems to have more than its fair share of 11am games, and it really sucks.

This is my 12th straight year with season tickets, and I sit with a group who has been purchasing season tickets for over 30 years. Here is my take on why ticket sales are lacking:

1. Game day experience has been negatively impacted. For those of us who have been doing this a while, there is a notable change in the atmosphere outside and inside the stadium. The constant construction everywhere around Kinnick does not help things (hospital, football facilities, etc). Also, the tailgating lots have changed a lot in the last few years (old ones gone, new ones built, existing reassigned etc.) and the access of some of the parking passes has changed. For example, a Silver Hawk pass used to put you in the Dental Lot, now you need a Gold Hawk Pass for that lot, and part of it is now for RV parking only.

Simply put, it is not as convenient to attend a game. It's congested with the construction, and the good tailgating lots are reserved for people who have donated the most. Sadly, most of those lots are rarely full anymore except for the marquee games, and parking for everyone not in possession of a Golden Hawk or a Kinnick Society pass must tailgate pretty far away from Kinnick. Also, the new alcohol rules have not really affected the way my group tailgates (although I miss being able to carry my open beer everywhere), but the overall effect has been to tame the "party" atmosphere that once existed. Tailgating was a very entertaining experience before the new rules, and ultimately there were very few people who were really causing any problems. It was just fun to walk around and observe. People were creative, care free and fun because they didn't have to worry about stepping 1 foot too far and getting a ticket. Now everyone seems more guarded and cautious.

If it is your first time to Kinnick, or you don't attend many games, then you will probably have a pretty good time at the game itself. Kinnick is impressive, and it can be really cool to take in that live game experience. For those of us who are there every game each fall, the experience inside Kinnick is getting really dull and commercialized. All the ads are ridiculous. We have to watch commercials on the big video screen during timeouts. There are ads everywhere, and EVERYTHING is sponsored. I've been to other BIG stadiums, and they are not like that. It just seems like they are selling out at Kinnick for the almighty dollar, and it puts a major damper on the experience.

2. Non conference schedule is lacking. Iowa cannot do anything about the BIG schedule, but we really don't want to watch Iowa play UNI, Western Michigan or any other directional school. Those games are meaningless, and typically those visiting teams are so greatly over matched that it leaves Kinnick pretty quiet because the crowd lacks energy. We want more Pittsburghs, Arizonas, Syracuses, etc... The good news is that the BIG has put that new rule into place that schools cannot play FCS teams any longer. That is a greatly welcomed changed.

3. Re-seating of Kinnick has caused some people to just give up their tickets. The product on the field has been mediocre for 5 years now, so it is hard to justify paying a higher donation for your tickets. Also, the re-seating was based on priority points and I know of several people who were royally ticked off because they lost their seats to someone else and couldn't find anything equivalent. That's totally understandable because my group is sitting in a new area next year as well, and we aren't exactly thrilled. More money for worse seats? How do you justify that?

4. Too many 11am games. Don't get me wrong 11am games are sometimes nice, especially when there are some really good night games on TV that I want to get home to watch. Ultimately, 2:30 games provide the best tailgating. Compared to 5 or 6 years ago, not as many people are getting up early to tailgate those 11am games which diminishes the game day atmosphere. Iowa seems to have more than its fair share of 11am games, and it really sucks.

Barta, Ferentz and the whole football athletic department should somehow read this....

I'd throw the three year period of 8-5, 7-6, and 4-8 into the contributing factor's pile as well.

Also have to throw in the fact of more youth sports being played on the weekends in the fall. Traveling or club teams in soccer, baseball, softball, basketball, not to mention youth tackle football and volleyball. Lots of families can't attend because of this.

I think lots of things are contributing to the slide in tickets sales ... In-stadium experience... Non-conference slates ... Cost of tickets... Social media and technology in general ... A program that became sort of complacent ... Iowa needs to shake things up ... The decrease in student ticket sales should be the #1 focus ... The reseating ...If students stop coming the vibe in the stadium will naturally change ... And once fans stop coming it is hard to get them back... Iowa needs to continue to offer more ticket specials so families can afford to attend a game... Last year I parted ways with my 2 season tickets ... Mostly because the games were just not as fun (the stadium experience ... The alcohol crackdown) ... Iowa grew complacent because Kinnick was filled every Saturday ... And now... Barta and the university are scrambling to find out why fans are starting to stay home... For me... I now enjoy turning on my big screen ... Firing up the smoker ... Cracking a beverage ... All from the friendly confines of home... Iowa will need to work hard to continue to attract younger generations ... Social media and technology in general are having a big impact on a lot of things ... People have more "things" to occupy their time ... And Millennials are greatly influenced by what their friends are doing ... So connecting with them making the experience exciting and engaging are vital ... ISU sells tickets because they make them so cheap .. A family of 4 can go to a Cyclone game for about the cost of one Iowa-Nebraska game... Barta may say the sky is not falling but it is getting awfully cloudy and their marketing team and administration have their work cut out.

I think lots of things are contributing to the slide in tickets sales ... In-stadium experience... Non-conference slates ... Cost of tickets... Social media and technology in general ... A program that became sort of complacent ... Iowa needs to shake things up ... The decrease in student ticket sales should be the #1 focus ... The reseating ...If students stop coming the vibe in the stadium will naturally change ... And once fans stop coming it is hard to get them back... Iowa needs to continue to offer more ticket specials so families can afford to attend a game... Last year I parted ways with my 2 season tickets ... Mostly because the games were just not as fun (the stadium experience ... The alcohol crackdown) ... Iowa grew complacent because Kinnick was filled every Saturday ... And now... Barta and the university are scrambling to find out why fans are starting to stay home... For me... I now enjoy turning on my big screen ... Firing up the smoker ... Cracking a beverage ... All from the friendly confines of home... Iowa will need to work hard to continue to attract younger generations ... Social media and technology in general are having a big impact on a lot of things ... People have more "things" to occupy their time ... And Millennials are greatly influenced by what their friends are doing ... So connecting with them making the experience exciting and engaging are vital ... ISU sells tickets because they make them so cheap .. A family of 4 can go to a Cyclone game for about the cost of one Iowa-Nebraska game... Barta may say the sky is not falling but it is getting awfully cloudy and their marketing team and administration have their work cut out.

i'm guessing folly would rather have iowa's 'problem'.

you can buy a saison tacket at isu - 4 different price levels. i believe all 4 are less expensive than the one iowa offers. and what is their capacity? (not the grazing areas and standing on top of the jacobsen building.....) 50k? they list at 55k, but i'm not buying that.

and again, at the end of the day, Kinnick stadium is 93% sold out with one week to go in July. It's not like iowa has some big problem on it's hands.

I think the question that needs to be asked is does Barta really not know the answers to the problems or does he really not want to acknowledge them because they involve making tough choices? He has gotten plenty of feedback from many sources within the fan base so that is when you here the 'pay the bills' song and dance or this is a nationwide trend thing. That is code for we want to suck out as much as we can so we do not want to change anything for the average fan.

Here is one why not add 10,000 more seats onto the stadium and sell the worst seats to visiting fans. Many visiting fan bases will buy them and if not oh well they are the not premium seats anyway. Then you get the marketing angle of saying we seat 80,000 to separate your program from the Purdues, etc. of the world. You can also sell them cheap to families. You have extra inventory as well for great seasons where demand skyrockets. The expansion is tearing out the north end zone and rebuilding with 2 decks and a massive video board in between the huge facade. Lots of money but long term investment that provides immediate benefits.

and again, at the end of the day, Kinnick stadium is 93% sold out with one week to go in July. It's not like iowa has some big problem on it's hands.

Bingo. It's amazing how badly people want to make a big story about of something which isn't. Most programs would love to have our success (including many of our Big Ten brethren).

That being said, here's my 2 cents on what may be deterring fans:

-The no-fun crackdown. Arrest the belligerent drunks, take the containers away from the obvious ones and leave everybody else the hell alone.

-weak non-conf + 11:00am = No Thanks, I'll catch it on TV and enjoy one of my last few "summer" weekends doing something else outside.

-the fan itself. Only only need look at the obsession people have with their cell phones to see that we have an increasingly different breed of human being walking the streets. Many of them prefer a digital world to the real one. If you can't survive 3 hours without WiFi, Twitter, texting etc... you may be less of a football fan, than you are a digital addict that needs to constantly be entertained. (I love my toys too, but I'm capable of putting them down)

The game....is still...on the field.

Last edited:

Latest posts