Ticket Sells

If anything, this shows that the semi-regularly threads about expanding the stadium are just plain crazy talk.

I've been to Kinnick, michigan, and Oklahoma several times. Michigan and OU are significantly easier to get in and out of. It's really not a huge deal though, going to a football game means crap traffic basically everywhere.

I agree on the game day experience. They have to relax the rules and allow people to enjoy themselves. It's the .05% that you have to police...so police them. You know there is a certain subset of the IC Police Department is dying to do it...so turn them loose on the disrupters. Don't penalize the 99.5% who stay in control and within the laws. Representatives from Iowa should go to an SEC game at like Georgia or Tennessee...it's an experience when you are in the stadium. The band is active between plays, it's just done really well. It's pretty cool, at Georgia the band plays theme music between downs...it's just very well done. Now, if I hear Rocky Top one more time, I may kill someone, but I'm sure people feel that way about "Fight, Fight, Fight for Iowa" too. It's just a different vibe than Kinnick...and don't get me wrong, I've been in Kinnick when it was rocking like no tomorrow, but it's the downtime atmosphere that needs to improve. My recommendation is less clothing on the FEMALE cheerleaders, but that's just me. At least I'm trying to make it better.

What about the other .45%??

So just a question to you and anyone that is unhappy about the parking, traffic leaving, etc.

Would you be happy if they would have built a new stadium on the West Campus (west of Finkbine and the HOF) where there would have been unlimited parking, I-80 right around the corner, etc.?

An honest question as for as ****** as the parking situation and the hassle that traffic can be I think the stadium is perfect where it is currently at and if they would have built a new stadium out there it would have lost so much of the history and atmosphere that makes Kinnick what it is.

Call me old school if you want but that can't be replaced. I also think once the Children's hospital is complete it will be a pretty cool back drop and awesome that all of those sick kids will be able to somewhat experience the gameday atmosphere and take their mind off of the horrible illnesses that they are fighting with everyday.

buildingElevatedView.jpg

That children's hospital will be pretty sweet when done. Good idea by whoever came up with the location.

I know that I enjoyed the tailgating experience as much as the game and I wasn't getting drunk. It was a feeling of comradery with 70,000 people. I would walk around and see other people's tailgates and the Magic Bus. Big azz turkey leg guy. Its not the same anymore. too strict and too spread out. They would have to cut the ticket prices in half for me to pop because they halved the game day experience, IMO.

All this talk about how the game day experience isn't any good anymore. I like it just fine. It's the hawks for Christi's sake, what's not to like.

So just a question to you and anyone that is unhappy about the parking, traffic leaving, etc.

Would you be happy if they would have built a new stadium on the West Campus (west of Finkbine and the HOF) where there would have been unlimited parking, I-80 right around the corner, etc.?

An honest question as for as ****** as the parking situation and the hassle that traffic can be I think the stadium is perfect where it is currently at and if they would have built a new stadium out there it would have lost so much of the history and atmosphere that makes Kinnick what it is.

Call me old school if you want but that can't be replaced. I also think once the Children's hospital is complete it will be a pretty cool back drop and awesome that all of those sick kids will be able to somewhat experience the gameday atmosphere and take their mind off of the horrible illnesses that they are fighting with everyday.

In a million years I would never want Iowa to play anywhere other than Kinnick. I absolutely love that place. The problem right now is the current circumstances. The construction and relocation of the tailgating lots has caused a lot of people to change how and where they tailgate. When we were in the Dental Lot with a Silver Hawk pass several years ago, it was jam packed full every game....EVERY game. Now we have to buy a Gold Hawk pass to get in that lot, and it's a totally different crowd. They like to show up an hour before kickoff and park. The lot is never full. Meanwhile, the people who used to tailgate in the Dental Lot have been relocated to Finkbine Commuter or Finkbine.
FWIW, Finkbine Commuter lot has a GREAT tailgate atmosphere for EVERY game, but it's tucked away and not easy to get to.
There was a pretty great RV tailgate lot where the new football practice facility is now located (west of rec building) that is now gone, and the area where the bubble used to be is now a Kinnick Society Lot I believe. It's never completely full.

Last edited:
here's a twist to the student section plot: buy a ticket, get a chance at a year of free tuition (the only promo i got was a good chance at second hand weed smoke)

http://www.kcci.com/news/students-who-buy-football-tickets-may-score-free-tuition/27215984#!bqht5D

I think this is pretty cool. Students will buy season tickets regardless, and now a few lucky students will get free tuition for a year. Of course, the retards over on CF are spinning this as negative or desperation, but what else would you expect from a fan base with an average IQ of 65.

All this talk about how the game day experience isn't any good anymore. I like it just fine. It's the hawks for Christi's sake, what's not to like.

The Gameday experience??

It does suck now. It sucks bad. I haven't had fun tailgating since Chad Greenway was a hawk.

Ok... that's a little harsh. I've had fun.. but it's just not the same and it's getting lamer every year. It used to be that the entire area between riverside drive and mormon trek blvd. was nothing but a huge party. In every backyard along every street. In every parking lot. It didn't matter where you went, there was fun to be had.

Now most lots are shut down or reserved for a more sophisticated class of Iowa fan who drove a Lexus to the game and eat hummus and couscous salad and listen to NPR and sip sparkling wine. No one is partying on the street... you get a ticket for that.

One time I was drinking a 40 oz. on Burlington over by the ped mall at about 9pm after a morning start Hawkeye win. A cop pulled up and got out to speak with me. I tried to hide the beer. He told me that's illegal. I said but it's game day. And he said I know but the game ended hours ago. You're gonna have to pour that out. So I did. And we went our separate ways. Try getting away with that nowadays.

IT'S LAME. I'LL HAVE MORE FUN AND GET A BETTER VIEW AT HOME. Why am I yelling?!?! Because it makes me ANGRY!!

I think this is pretty cool. Students will buy season tickets regardless, and now a few lucky students will get free tuition for a year. Of course, the retards over on CF are spinning this as negative or desperation, but what else would you expect from a fan base with an average IQ of 65.

Actually, it is pretty desperate. This is the type of stuff schools like Illinois or Western Michigan resort to. Give it a few years and the person who wins will have to be present in the 3rd quarter of the final home game before T-giving break to win. Iowa should not have to resort to these sorts of gimmicks.

Now most lots are shut down or reserved for a more sophisticated class of Iowa fan who drove a Lexus to the game and eat hummus and couscous salad and listen to NPR and sip sparkling wine. No one is partying on the street... you get a ticket for that.

Great post, and I tend to agree with most of it. The constant revisions to the parking regime has stunk, but I go to a few games a year with a buddy from Evanston and we typically roll over in his 'slade. I do not eat couscous salad or listen to NPR, though. This dude isn't a big tailgater, so we get in late and always park out by the softball field even though the dude has a KC pass because it takes FOREVER to get out of that KC lot after the game. But places like the dental lot and the law school lot have totally different vibes than they did 10 years ago because they used to be generally open or have very low donation levels and now they have absurd donation levels/points requirements to get in. The school is catering to its older, wealthier fans and part of me fears that this may be a great detriment to the fan base a few decades down the line. See, e.g., the half full student section every week.

Every time I go I see plenty of parties, tailgating, beer, drunks, etc. Vodka Sam disagrees with your assessments

If you're just going to see the game, that's all well and good. It would be fun regardless. Sure, there is no change for those who drive to the game, park, and sit in the bleachers, but from the sound of it, it sounds like it's not the same these days for those who like to get a little rowdier with regards to tailgating, etc.

That said, I live in FL now so haven't been to Iowa City in over a decade, so can't vouch for the current experience.

Not true, I'm a maniac. I put an empty case of beer on my head and walk melrose naked shaking my Lizard at all opposing fans. I've never had a problem doing this on game day.

Barta says tickets remain for all 7 of Iowa's home games. ISU closest to a sell out right now.
t
this is pathetic. and this is with two in state home games.

Panda, people will come Panda. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up at Kinnick not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the sidelines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Angrypanda. The one constant through all the years, Angrypanda, has been Hawkeye Football. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But Hawkeye Football has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Angrypanda. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Angrypanda. People will most definitely come.

Panda, people will come Panda. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up at Kinnick not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the sidelines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Angrypanda. The one constant through all the years, Angrypanda, has been Hawkeye Football. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But Hawkeye Football has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Angrypanda. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Angrypanda. People will most definitely come.

Cue to scene of Jake Christianson, with football in hand, walking up to his dad on a football field surrounded by corn..."Dad, can I throw one at your feet". Scene out...damn, I still get chills from that.

Latest posts