Votes: 44 21.9%
  • Ryan Donahue

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Tyler Sash

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other

Votes: 18 9.0%

• Total voters
Iowa would not be 7-0 without Stanzi. That makes him my MVP. I think the defense could still be good without Clayborn or Sash. Donahue has been good. Robinson has been good, but not irreplaceable. That makes my vote go to Stanzi.

I would have to go with Pat Angerer. He is the quarterback of the d, sets the defense, and makes some plays. The defense has been winning us football games. Angerer is my pick.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no way to refute the fact that Adrian Clayborn is the MVP up to this point. He blocks punts, he catches running backs from the opposite side of the field, and it seems almost every play he's harrassing the QB. He's just a beast and I would say he's one of the best Defensive Ends in the Nation! But they're 7-0 because of a team effort! Go Hawks!

Gotta cast my vote for Tyler Sash. He will be Iowa's all-time interceptions leader before he's finished.

Spievey won't get much recognition but he basically eliminates one entire side of the field which allows our entire defense to play better. He is quietly one of, if not the most important player on the team.

This is spot on. Spievey is MVP...go ahead, imagine the D without him.

I am torn between Sash and Clayborn. I eventually went with Sash. The turnovers he's created for us I think have contributed the most to the success of the team.

The only person listed I would argue should not be is Stanzi. This team wins sometimes in spite of Stazi (i.e. Pick Six game). Stanzi has played extremely well at times too. When he plays well he's a strength, but I can't say this team is undefeated BECAUSE of Stanzi.

With Clayborn and Sash you can make cases in every game where Iowa has won BECASUE of plays they made.

Last edited:
Clayborn on D and I think Tony on O. I don't even care that Tony has only played 4 games. He is literally unstoppable when he's healthy.

Clayborn sticks out a little bit, but my vote goes to the entire Defense. To many big interceptions caused by pressure to name one Player.

Every player is valuable. But the one guy you couldn't get by without, especially on the road, is Ricky Stanzi. Wash your hands Ricky...don't get the flu! For every other position, it's next man in!

I don't think there is an MVP right now. That is a great feeling because it's a different player stepping up week after week. There is not a week spot or a hot shot! From the coaching staff to the trainers they all do their job well. They are a great TEAM period.

Last edited:
John - I was listening at the time he asked you this question. I could tell he nailed you with a very thought provoking question. You WERE speechless.

I have to go with AC. I watched an interview with him after the Wisc game on youtube. He seems to be just a humble work-horse. Those are the kind of guys that gain respect and build confidence in their team-mates.

NOT an easy choice given the talent laden squad the Hawks put on the field....But AC IS the MVP at this time.

For me, toss up between Stanzi and AC. No doubt Stanzi has remained cool after his mistakes and gotten the job done. As maddening as his bad throws have been I think we have all underestimated what he has meant to this team. But AC is such a big part of a defense that has kept us in every game, and brings such a huge attitude to each game, a vote for him would be equally justified.

This is why I love this damn team! I feel like in recent years the team has consisted of many more "individuals" that wanted to think they were MVP's. I love that we have about 7 legit options.

The best phase of the team is the D. The central nervous system of the D is Angerer. So I vote other.

I'm going with a much less popular vote. Ryan Donahue. I think he makes it easier for the for that nasty D-line to pin their ears back and give 6 seconds of hell. Watching games this fall, it is quite clear that he is among the elite in the country. Iowa is a very field postition driven team, without Donahue's leg things could be quite different right now.
Overall, all of these players are important, and they all contribute to the team concept. I'm just giving props to the punter because they are so often overlooked.

Latest posts