throwback game against ball st 1958 unis

I think these look really nice... would be even more cool if we could get an old school hawkeye on the helmet.

Lol Not a fan of EVER copying MIZZOU :)... although the all black helmet is pretty sweet. Much more in favor of copying the Steelers again- this seems pretty close to what the throwbacks will be anyhow.

The Iowa football uniforms in 1958 had a yellow helmet with a black stripe and black numbers on the sides.

The jersey was black with yellow numbers and a yellow stripe.

The pants are yellow with a thin black stripe.

They were awesome uniforms then (best in the Big Ten) and you will be impressed with them in the "throwback" game. I remember them well as a young boy (Iowa basically wore the same uniform through most of the 60s and then again in the Commings era).
Hayden threw them out because the winning ways in the 50s gave way to 20 consecutive losing seasons. Fry changed to the Steelers look, which prevails today with the Tiger Hawk (a great uniform, in my opinion, which should never be changed because it is now a "brand", like the Michigan uniforms).

I hope to NEVER see the Iowa Hawkeyes in bright yellow like that. Our current "yellowish" version of Old Gold is about as yellow as I can stand.

Unfortunately, if these pics are floating around out there, it most likely means we'll be wearing these for a game next season. I don't think Nike would waste time designing something that wouldn't get used.

If they would've went with true OLD GOLD, they would be vary cool - but bright yellow? Please no.

Nike sucks and all those "combat" uniforms suck. The '39 throwbacks were cool. The '58 throwbacks will be cool. Other than throwbacks, Iowa should never-ever change their uniforms.

Nike sucks and all those "combat" uniforms suck. The '39 throwbacks were cool. The '58 throwbacks will be cool. Other than throwbacks, Iowa should never-ever change their uniforms.

Nike makes our current uniforms, and I'm pretty sure they made the 39 throw backs.... just saying.

But Nike didn't DESIGN our current uniforms or Penn State's or USC's or Alabama's or Michigan's or a bunch of other schools with great & traditional uniforms that they now MAKE.

Why are we "throwing back" to 1958 in 2010? Did we forget to do it in '08? Or is there something special about the 52nd anniversary that I'm missing?

Which is not to say that I don't like the '50s look as described and pictured. Nice way to commemorate Hawkeye history and have a change of pace -- perhaps once every other year. Other than that, I agree with not messing with the Tigerhawk/Steelersesque design.

Although ... I always thought it might be cool to go all-white for our road unis. I think that could look pretty slick with black and gold trim.

Latest posts