This Week's Poll: Three Favorite Ferentz Era Wins

I have a strong preference for games in Kinnick. So I went:

2002 Purdue - amazing
2004 Wisky - Big Ten trophy presentation on the field
2008 PSU - MURRAY!

How can Michigan 2002 not be at the top? That win was way more impressive and way more meaningful than Tate to Holloway.

I remember exactly where I was and who was with me for that Cap One bowl win. I can't say the same for any of the other games on that list. It may not be the most important win but it was certainly the most memorable. For that reason it's my top choice.

How can Michigan 2002 not be at the top? That win was way more impressive and way more meaningful than Tate to Holloway.

I agree with this. The game was totally surreal. Waltzing into the Big House and absolutely destroying (and embarrassing) a very good Michigan team? It seemed like a dream.

In my opinion, it was the most dominating performance of the Ferentz era, considering the opponent and venue.

I don't see how anyone who attended the 2004 Wisky game could not vote for it. B10 title presnetation on the field, with fans who had rushed it surrounding the team, kirk, and the media. It's unlikely I'll ever witness such an event again.

I don't see how anyone who attended the 2004 Wisky game could not vote for it. B10 title presentation on the field, with fans who had rushed it surrounding the team, kirk, and the media. It's unlikely I'll ever witness such an event again.

Well said. That morning, Iowa had to expect an upset in the OSU/UM game simply to have a chance at the title. It took a nice string of events for it to happen, and suddenly Kirk and the team are being presented with the Big Ten Title trophy. What an unbelievable moment.

I used to have a youtube link of the ceremony, but I can't find it.

Here is the highlights package where you can see the end, Kirk crying, Tate hugging his dad, etc.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkftlqO_MSs]2004 #9 Wisconsin at #17 Iowa Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

Found it. Fan-shot video of the rushing of the field and the ceremony.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlwx8SmWwTk&list=FLbiabzi5vLASA7OBQgVGCLQ&index=3&feature=plpp_video]Iowa-Wisc 2004 - YouTube[/ame]

My thought as well. I still get goosebumps thinking about that Michigan win. Even though I was fortunate enough to see Tate to Holloway in person, the Michigan game was completely "Bullies of the Big Ten". It's what we should strive to be again.

I don't see how anyone who attended the 2004 Wisky game could not vote for it. B10 title presnetation on the field, with fans who had rushed it surrounding the team, kirk, and the media. It's unlikely I'll ever witness such an event again.

It will never happen again in Kinnick. And unless you and about 30,000 other Hawk fans plan on rushing the field at Lucas Oil Field whenever the Hawks win the B1G title game, it will be an event that will never happen again.

One of the things that I hate about divisions and championship games.

For the record, I agree with your post completely.

I voted 2004 Wisky too. That was awesome. I was there. The talk all day on ESPN and everywhere else was Michigan and Wisconsin going for the B10 title that day. I think if they both won, they shared title. NO ONE talked about Iowa also having a shot at the title. We came out of no where after being pronounced dead after starting the year 2-2 and getting killed in AZ and beaten in the Big House.

UM and OSU played earlier in the day and OSU upset the Wolverines. Iowa was the late afternoon game. Tate came out and threw 2 early INTs but Iowa's tough-as-nails D held Wisc off the board. Tate settled in and we crushed the Alvarez led Badgers. Was this Barry's final year?

I voted 2005 Cap One Bowl, 2008 Penn State, and 2002 Michigan beat down.

I know the Hawkeyes shouldn't have been in that position in the first place, but I really liked the hard nosed 2 OT goal line stand against Syracuse. Gary Thorne's call on that series was amazing:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTb2mIIqwHc&feature=related]Iowa Hawkeyes The Stand - YouTube[/ame]

2009 MSU - "When his number was called, 7 got 6!"

2005 Cap One - Tate to Holloway "9 seconds to play and Tate doesn't know that. The games going to end on this play! He fires downfield, it's CAUGHT AND INTO THE ENDZONE TOUCHDOWN IOWA! TOUCHDOWN IOWA!!! NO TIME LEFT ON THE CLOCK! I DON'T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW! TOUCHDOWN IOWA!"

2004 Wisc - B10 Champs: "you said just find a way this year, how did you find your way into a Big Ten Championship?" "I don't think many people would of given us a chance 7 weeks ago"

Last edited:
I wouldn't vote for this game as a Top 3, but surprised the 2009 Indiana game did not make the list. Undefeated at home, starting QB throws a ton of INT's, and then Sash catches the bouncing ball to completely turn momentum.

I agree, great event to be at. The Wisconsin fans came with their roses, certain they were going to Pasadena following the Michigan loss to OSU. Definitely a great win and scene after the game, but to me, knowing that it meant a berth in the Cap One bowl and not the Rose Bowl took away from the moment. Really, Michigan was the champ because they beat us head to head.

Another game I really enjoyed was the 2007 game against Illinois where some Illini fans brought roses to the game, only to lose to Jake C.

Another game I really enjoyed was the 2007 game against Illinois where some Illini fans brought roses to the game, only to lose to Jake C.

Good call on that one. I remember that game as well. There was an Illinois fan running his mouth over in our area the whole game. To bad he left disappointed after his team lost to arguably one of the worst starting QB's Iowa has had in the past 15 years.

Good call on that one. I remember that game as well. There was an Illinois fan running his mouth over in our area the whole game. To bad he left disappointed after his team lost to arguably one of the worst starting QB's Iowa has had in the past 15 years.

Be nice. Jake was 2-0 against Northwestern and Illinois in his time at Iowa. Stanzi was 0-4. How quickly we forget those things.

Anyway, I brought an Illini fan to the 2007 game and between listening to me and him during an Iowa-Illinois game, you would think both teams were going to lose and lose big because we were both so negative. The play where Illinois had the touchdown called back on the illegal man down field was among the single greatest meltdowns I have ever seen.

I voted 2004 Wisky too. That was awesome. I was there. The talk all day on ESPN and everywhere else was Michigan and Wisconsin going for the B10 title that day. I think if they both won, they shared title. NO ONE talked about Iowa also having a shot at the title. We came out of no where after being pronounced dead after starting the year 2-2 and getting killed in AZ and beaten in the Big House.

UM and OSU played earlier in the day and OSU upset the Wolverines. Iowa was the late afternoon game. Tate came out and threw 2 early INTs but Iowa's tough-as-nails D held Wisc off the board. Tate settled in and we crushed the Alvarez led Badgers. Was this Barry's final year?

It wasn't Barry's final year, but we beat them then too. I think it was 2005 in Madison.

Arguably?

In contrast, made Scotty Mullen, Randy Reiners and Kyle McCann look like Jim Kelly, Dan Marino and John Elway.

Latest posts