This team vs 2015

None of you want to hear this, but if...

—Stanley keeps throwing bonehead passes

—CBs keep getting beat

We’re going to get massacred by Penn State and whoever we play in our bowl.

Those mistakes can happen against horrible teams like Indiana, MN, and MD, but not against an actual contender. That stuff has to get cleaned up or we are going to get embarrassed at some point.

Good teams will pick those stupid passes, and good opposing WRs won’t give us all those lucky drops we keep getting.

I like this d better
giphy.gif

—CBs keep getting beat

Those mistakes can happen against horrible teams like Indiana, MN, and MD, but not against an actual contender. That stuff has to get cleaned up or we are going to get embarrassed at some point.

Good teams will pick those stupid passes, and good opposing WRs won’t give us all those lucky drops we keep getting.
Might be right. Our corners definitely aren’t perfect, and Stanley makes mistakes, but I’m withholding judgement until next week at about this time. Stanzi made a lot more mistakes and still won some damn good games that I think would apply here. The question is whether our D and Stanley can do enough.

Might be right. Our corners definitely aren’t perfect, and Stanley makes mistakes, but I’m withholding judgement until next week at about this time. Stanzi made a lot more mistakes and still won some damn good games that I think would apply here. The question is whether our D and Stanley can do enough.
These young corners are making some nice plays but they’re also leaving guys wiiiiiiiiiide open who end up dropping the ball. They’re youthful mistakes and I’m not bashing them, it’s just not going to work against quality teams. That and Stanley from time to time makes some really dumb passes into coverage that Penn State will pick.

This team is so close to turning the corner to being a dominant team, but the dumb mistakes are what’s keeping them from getting there.

I know you all think I’m bashing the Hawks but I’m not. They just need to clean up the offense and make smarter decisions on both sides of the ball (coverage on defense). And start playing smarter special teams which it looks like they’re starting to address. I want to see them take the next step as bad as anyone here.

—CBs keep getting beat

You are right that usually those things can happen and Iowa can still beat the avg-bad teams. But they are smoking those teams this year.
I am starting to think that a team like PSU, as we saw with Wisconsin, is going to need those plays to stick around/win against Iowa.

You are right that usually those things can happen and Iowa can still beat the avg-bad teams. But they are smoking those teams this year.
I am starting to think that a team like PSU, as we saw with Wisconsin, is going to need those plays to stick around/win against Iowa.
You’re right about Wisconsin and they are a perfect example. Take away two or three total bonehead plays and we are undefeated and (legitimately) a top 10 team.

We don’t suck by any stretch, we just aren’t at that next level.

That’s what’s so damn frustrating about Iowa football.

You’re right about Wisconsin and they are a perfect example. Take away two or three total bonehead plays and we are undefeated and (legitimately) a top 10 team.

We don’t suck by any stretch, we just aren’t at that next level.

That’s what’s so damn frustrating about Iowa football.
I think it depends how you define next level. Iowa isn’t Alabama. Neither is anyone else. But I wouldn’t count them out against any other team this year.

But yes, it would be nice if Stanley stops throwing it directly to the other team.

I think it depends how you define next level. Iowa isn’t Alabama. Neither is anyone else. But I wouldn’t count them out against any other team this year.

But yes, it would be nice if Stanley stops throwing it directly to the other team.
We could be Wisconsin or Michigan though.

Become the dominant team in the West and pretty soon you’re realistically contending for making the playoff.

He missed Hockenson wide open in the end zone, threw several easy short passes into the ground short of the receivers and had three passes into double or triple coverage all of that on 11 completions. Maybe the wind was just in his head but not his best performance. It didn’t matter though so you just flush it and move on. The challenge next week will be Penn State’s pressure from the front 4 so we will need Indiana Stanley.

Learn from today's experience and leave it behind

Return to form at State College next week and all will be well

Uncharacteristic game today from Stanley

We will need one of Nathan's best games against Penn State

We could be Wisconsin or Michigan though.

Become the dominant team in the West and pretty soon you’re realistically contending for making the playoff.
Yup. I’m just talking this year, but gotta sustain it a few years. But Braylon Edwards doesn’t think Michigan > Iowa

Penn State players are limping off the field at Indiana

Hoosiers playing a solid game. If the zebras would have let them play they would be ahead instead of behind by a FG, 17-14 in the second half

Targeting just called against senior safety Garrett Taylor of Penn State

Gonna have to sit for a half against the Hawks next Saturday

Not certain if he is a starter but he had been playing in a close game in the second half

Alright

These young corners are making some nice plays but they’re also leaving guys wiiiiiiiiiide open who end up dropping the ball. They’re youthful mistakes and I’m not bashing them, it’s just not going to work against quality teams. That and Stanley from time to time makes some really dumb passes into coverage that Penn State will pick.

This team is so close to turning the corner to being a dominant team, but the dumb mistakes are what’s keeping them from getting there.

I know you all think I’m bashing the Hawks but I’m not. They just need to clean up the offense and make smarter decisions on both sides of the ball (coverage on defense). And start playing smarter special teams which it looks like they’re starting to address. I want to see them take the next step as bad as anyone here.
Just to be clear I don’t think you’re bashing the Hawks. I think that you are trying to be realistic and that you tend toward pessimism. I also think that you’re just trying to be honest. You won’t hear any complaints from me on that. Given Iowa’s history and the fair points you’ve raised you aren’t in the wrong. Voices on both sides (and in the middle, if they exist) are what keep this place interesting.

I think one thing that's helping us is our north/south offensive style vs. so many other teams' east/west style. First of all, teams don't see our style every week and second, teams are building their defenses to stop those styles of offense. We seem to be that outlier offense, as opposed to the air raid, spread, chuck and duck, wishbone, etc. that have given teams fits through the year because of how different they are to the rest of the offenses.

What was Kirk saying recently about the team chemistry? We just might have something special with this squad. I'm going to temper myself. I really don't handle letdowns well, especially after getting my hopes up.

People need to chill on this. I heard this shit all over sound off today as well. People need to stop and think. What is Iowa’s best win this year?

People need to chill on this. I heard this shit all over sound off today as well. People need to stop and think. What is Iowa’s best win this year?
^^^ X 1,000,000

We lost to the sole decent team we played.

The ISU dick riders should know that they get one huge upset a year. They’re not all that.

Latest posts