This team is bad...

Well besides a W, that wasn't promising.
Cooks gotta hit those FTs.

I tend to disagree. We got an absolute dog fight. We had to dig real deep in the 2nd half. We found a way to come out on top in a slug fest. This was great B1G training. Players get a wake up call without the L. Great to see the hustle and fight. All in all it was a good thing in my book.

I tend to disagree. We got an absolute dog fight. We had to dig real deep in the 2nd half. We found a way to come out on top in a slug fest. This was great B1G training. Players get a wake up call without the L. Great to see the hustle and fight. All in all it was a good thing in my book.
It was a good thing. A very good thing. A #14 ranking, with a week to sit and bask in the glow. They got too comfortable and forgot to play defense. Against an ACC team. At home, no less. They came out and fought in the second half. Played much better defense. Offense still wasn't overly impressive but you'll have that on some nights. They're going to have more nights like this, in conference play.

I agree, this game was not a bad thing. I was quite encouraged because the ball bounced our way for once.

Everyone complains that Fran can't win close games, constantly. So much so that people even track his record in "close" games. Some people say its scheme, some say it's coaching, some people say it's players, some people say some of it's bad luck. Whatever it is, Iowa has NOT been great in tight games. NOW, fast forward to THIS season, Iowa wins a close game that is a dog fight to go 6-0 and is ranked higher than it's ever been this early in the season under Fran... and we still have people saying the team is bad and not promising. Iowa is NOT the 14th team in the country, I will agree with that... but give them SOME credit here. They've played well and there is some promising play and things to be optimistic about. Bounds of optimism at this point.

Just wait.
Define what’s “bad”

Cuz I have a feeling that “bad” to you is going to be like “global warming” changed to “climate change” = whatever makes you “right” at the time you want to be “right”

I agree, this game was not a bad thing. I was quite encouraged because the ball bounced our way for once.

Everyone complains that Fran can't win close games, constantly. So much so that people even track his record in "close" games. Some people say its scheme, some say it's coaching, some people say it's players, some people say some of it's bad luck. Whatever it is, Iowa has NOT been great in tight games. NOW, fast forward to THIS season, Iowa wins a close game that is a dog fight to go 6-0 and is ranked higher than it's ever been this early in the season under Fran... and we still have people saying the team is bad and not promising. Iowa is NOT the 14th team in the country, I will agree with that... but give them SOME credit here. They've played well and there is some promising play and things to be optimistic about. Bounds of optimism at this point.

LOL

Did you watch the game? The only reason we won is because they somehow missed two easy shots and didn't get a foul drawn in the last 10 seconds. They handed that one to us. We deserved to lose.

LOL

Did you watch the game? The only reason we won is because they somehow missed two easy shots and didn't get a foul drawn in the last 10 seconds. They handed that one to us. We deserved to lose.

LOL, I mean Iowa didn't miss any easy shots themselves, and FT at the end.

LOL

Did you watch how this team lost games last season? Teams not executing is part of it and Iowa has been on the opposite side of that coin so many times. Iowa won, so they deserved to win.

LOL

They handed us that game huh? Was that when they were up by 6 at the half? Or was it when they fouled every play in a row for the last 6 minutes because they were gassed?

I suppose that every team that wins a close game was given the victory, or is that just an Iowa thing?

They handed us that game huh? Was that when they were up by 6 at the half? Or was it when they fouled every play in a row for the last 6 minutes because they were gassed?

I suppose that every team that wins a close game was given the victory, or is that just an Iowa thing?

Nope - just Iowa. When we lose on a last second shot it's bad defense. When we miss the last 2nd shot, it's Fran's offense. When they miss we gave it to them, when we make it their defender was tying his shoe or something. It's a no win situation for Iowa in a lot of poster minds. Iowa was lucky Tuesday night, they've been unlucky for the last 2 seasons in those situations. You take em and move on. Does anyone have any idea how many of the top programs win like that multiple times a season to inferior competition? A lot.

Nope - just Iowa. When we lose on a last second shot it's bad defense. When we miss the last 2nd shot, it's Fran's offense. When they miss we gave it to them, when we make it their defender was tying his shoe or something. It's a no win situation for Iowa in a lot of poster minds. Iowa was lucky Tuesday night, they've been unlucky for the last 2 seasons in those situations. You take em and move on. Does anyone have any idea how many of the top programs win like that multiple times a season to inferior competition? A lot.

The last 30 seconds of the game were luck. The effort on defense that wore them out and sapped them of the momentum and confidence that they built in the first half was not luck. It had nothing to do with luck. If we had played low energy shell defense that second half like the first Pitt would have had confidence in the waning minute and surely would have made a bunny. Effort is not luck. Winning is never solely about luck and neither is losing.

LOL

2 easy shots? The attempt under the basket was blocked and the one at the buzzer was a desperation fade-away with 2 guys in his face. You must be freaking Michael Jordan if you think those were easy. LULZ

LOL

Did you see how many easy shots Iowa missed? How many open shots Iowa missed?

And if you think those were easy shots ... yeah, you don’t know jack

It seems like only 2 weeks ago when NoBeer and Lightning1 where telling us how bad Iowa was. Nobeer just disappeared, Lightning1 has changed his tune a bit and West Coast has dug in deeper. I just like to tag a long.

I'm happy with any win and a win is a win. That said the players have to take it upon themselves to put games away. Pitt had the opportunity to get two potential game winning shots off on the last possession of a three point game as opposed to being down by 3 if Cook comes up with the free throws. '

Iowa showed a ton of fight throughout the game that I didn't see last year and made some huge plays to get the lead late. But in the waning moments Iowa missed 2 free throws in the final 10 seconds and Pitt had two opportunities to win the game. If the script is flipped and they make that shot, the heart showed earlier in the doesn't matter. We cannot allow opportunities to slip away late and depend on other teams to miss potential game winners.