This stuff pisses me off to no end

hawkeye12345

Why is it that once alford left Iowa he figured out what was needed to win games? The answer is assistant coaches that can recruit. Are you paying attention Lick?

First the guy brings in Neal and the recruiting started to pick up. He leaves Iowa and heads to New Mexico and takes Neal, his right hand man, and hires a money baller out of Houston that brings Phillip McDonald and a few other key players that help build the first recruiting class alford signs. That assistants sticks around for just over a year and gets PAID some serious coin for bringing in a few players. He leaves and next up is this cat that has direct ties to Nike, Wyking Jones. Jones just signed a kid out of the East named Kendal Williams who according to Coleman's website is the #142 player in the country. Not strong but not bad.

I just don't get why the last two coaches at Iowa have failed to figure this out until after they are gone. alford figured it out after about 5 or 6 years and now Lick is sitting on this thumbs. Wake up and smell the coffee boys, recruiting will build programs. Please, Please, Please don't let it take you another 2 or 3 years to figure this out.

False. It's because Alford got a 7-year Big 10 coaching education. You get better with experience.

Now he's in a less competitive conference with more experience, he has probably learned from a lot of his mistakes, and he can out recruit just about everyone in his conference because of his name.

I'd say that's a recipe for success.

Is it that they figured it out...

Why is it that once alford left Iowa he figured out what was needed to win games? The answer is assistant coaches that can recruit. Are you paying attention Lick?

First the guy brings in Neal and the recruiting started to pick up. He leaves Iowa and heads to New Mexico and takes Neal, his right hand man, and hires a money baller out of Houston that brings Phillip McDonald and a few other key players that help build the first recruiting class alford signs. That assistants sticks around for just over a year and gets PAID some serious coin for bringing in a few players. He leaves and next up is this cat that has direct ties to Nike, Wyking Jones. Jones just signed a kid out of the East named Kendal Williams who according to Coleman's website is the #142 player in the country. Not strong but not bad.

I just don't get why the last two coaches at Iowa have failed to figure this out until after they are gone. alford figured it out after about 5 or 6 years and now Lick is sitting on this thumbs. Wake up and smell the coffee boys, recruiting will build programs. Please, Please, Please don't let it take you another 2 or 3 years to figure this out.

or the Iowa administration frowns upon hiring AAU/Nike guys like Alford did at UNM? It's an honest question, as I don't know. If we are putting restrictions on our head coaches, then they aren't being allowed to compete on a level playing field. But it could be also that Alford figured out that all the coaching in the world didn't matter if the other team had more talent than him.

On the job training is a wonderful thing, it's too bad Iowa had to be the place of employment for said training.

Re: Is it that they figured it out...

or the Iowa administration frowns upon hiring AAU/Nike guys like Alford did at UNM? It's an honest question, as I don't know. If we are putting restrictions on our head coaches, then they aren't being allowed to compete on a level playing field. But it could be also that Alford figured out that all the coaching in the world didn't matter if the other team had more talent than him.

I'd also like to know the answer to this question. Plus, is it easy to assume the academic requirements to get into NM are different than it is to get into Iowa and/or the B10? There's no doubt that Alford received some experience while at Iowa, though, so I see it as a combination of a lot of things.

False. It's because Alford got a 7-year Big 10 coaching education. You get better with experience.

Now he's in a less competitive conference with more experience, he has probably learned from a lot of his mistakes, and he can out recruit just about everyone in his conference because of his name.

I would say that Alford got getter all along while at Iowa. The last two years he did a great job of coaching (when Neal came in) It has carried over and he is just continuing to improve.

Seriously on the job training?? Let's get real here folks. Guess I'm surprised that you of all people spank would say that. Alford was hired away from SWMS who he had just taken to the Sweet Sixteen.

The bottomline is Alford struggled at Iowa because he took a step up and in the end failed. I will be watching for when Alford makes that step up again. I will be curious to see how he does.

The comments by Brian and Spank quite honestly don't make much sense if you ask me.

Brian:
"False. It's because Alford got a 7-year Big 10 coaching education.

Spank:
"On the job training is a wonderful thing, it's too bad Iowa had to be the place of employment for said training".

Getting to the Sweet Sixteen is not luck my friend.

SWMS as a #12 seed beat #5 Seed Wisconsin by 11 and Beat #4 seed Tennesse by 30..

Alford's assistants were very weak when he was hired. I think everyone realizes that now. He may have thought his personality was such, that his assistants would not have to do much recruiting.

Also at NM they have a very nice practice facility and arena to play in. They had a 30mil renovation like a year or two before he arrived. Players like to go places with nice facilities.

So, the formula for success seems to be:

Assistants that can recruit
Experience in the Big Ten (not Valley or Horizon, etc.)
Nice practice facility

hmm... Looks like Tennessee might be a nice place for on-the-job training, too.

So, the formula for success seems to be:

Assistants that can recruit
Experience in the Big Ten (not Valley or Horizon, etc.)
Nice practice facility

hmm... Looks like Tennessee might be a nice place for on-the-job training, too.

We will have the facility for recruiting from here forward as we have a full roster for 2010,and by the time the 2011 recruit arrives,the new facility will be coming on-line so that excuse is now officially history,thankfully.
It was a legit complaint from both SA and lick.

The assistants and experience deal still needs to be addressed.
The butler alumni crew on the bench are open for debate.

This is all kinds of wrong.

You don't get better with experience. Alford started off well at Iowa, and got worse with experience. There are plenty of young coaches out there who can get it done, and there are other older, experienced coaches who can't.

He can out recruit others because of his name? Seriously? do you really think 18 year olds remember his IU career? Do you think they get excited about Alford because they have heard the legend of his Big Ten tournament runs? Seriously?

This is all kinds of wrong.

You don't get better with experience. Alford started off well at Iowa, and got worse with experience. There are plenty of young coaches out there who can get it done, and there are other older, experienced coaches who can't.

He can out recruit others because of his name? Seriously? do you really think 18 year olds remember his IU career? Do you think they get excited about Alford because they have heard the legend of his Big Ten tournament runs? Seriously?

Alford got worse with experience? He won 25 games, the BTT and was a 3 seed in his second to last year, and the following season was one of his best coaching jobs. Leading Iowa to a winning big ten record with basically just Haluska and Henderson returining was a pretty good accomplishment.

playing in the mountain west. level of competition is lower, not saying the league is a joke, but there isn't 5 tourney teams with an additional 2 bubble teams in that league.

Who cares about Alford. While here he kept a thug on the roster who harmed others and since he left he has refined the art of hurling profanities at opposing players. I'll take integrity over wins any day....but I'd like more wins too.

Seriously on the job training?? Let's get real here folks. Guess I'm surprised that you of all people spank would say that. Alford was hired away from SWMS who he had just taken to the Sweet Sixteen.

The bottomline is Alford struggled at Iowa because he took a step up and in the end failed. I will be watching for when Alford makes that step up again. I will be curious to see how he does.

The comments by Brian and Spank quite honestly don't make much sense if you ask me.

Brian:
"False. It's because Alford got a 7-year Big 10 coaching education.

Spank:
"On the job training is a wonderful thing, it's too bad Iowa had to be the place of employment for said training".

Getting to the Sweet Sixteen is not luck my friend.

SWMS as a #12 seed beat #5 Seed Wisconsin by 11 and Beat #4 seed Tennesse by 30..

Weird? So I guess we should just flush those 7 years that Alford coached at Iowa down the drain. He probably didn't learn anything coaching in the Big 10 for 7 years....

Latest posts