This pretty much sums it up

Extremely well written.
CP87 called Fant a blazer and I agree with him. Hock and Noah needed to be on the field for every offensive snap cuz they were the only 2 players that opponents legitimately feared. Which causes our opponents to play tight and adjust their formations.
But we didn't. I want to say we're still running Greg Davis' offense but that's not true. We've been running the HC's offense for 20 years and leaving points on the field as a result. Our defense bails out the offense almost every year. Look at my signature. That's just running backs. I could make the same post about WRs and QBs who leave or fail to improve. 5 mil per should provide a solution to this problem but it doesn't thanks to an AD with zero pressure to finish higher in the directors cup standings.

"Ferentz had a RB committee that combined for 4.4 yards per carry. That’s totally underwhelming for a team that had a pair of dominant tight ends who could force opponents into difficult matchups.

The Hawkeyes are poised to continue producing versatile players for the NFL, but they’re missing out on some of the benefits for themselves along the way."

That's all you need to know. Frustrating.

These are the kinds of things that, although they obviously don’t read them, should piss off and embarrass Daddy and Baby ‘Rentz.

Those two are both complete blockheads who would rather be stubborn than adapt, but even a stubborn blockhead should get pissed about it and at least try to prove everyone wrong.

Parker does a masterful job of adapting his sets to the personnel rather than trying to drive square pegs into round holes, and it pays off. Amani Hooker last year was a perfect example.

Dr. Evil and Mini Me would rather lose 4-5 winnable games a year and say, “That’s Iowa football” rather than make any adaptations to the offense and have to eat some crow. Their results show it too.

Name any team in the last 15 years that’s put as many quality players in the NFL as Iowa that’s had as mediocre results.

And the bullshit excuse about Iowa being a program that breeds good pro talent but doesn’t fit the NCAA “style” is bogus. Change your style and win more games, then. You have the player’s already.

First of all, let me go on record that even though the TE production was stellar when you combine the numbers for both Fant and Hockenson...it's clear they were still underutilized to a degree.

In defense of the Ferentz's, if Stanley makes better throws, Fants numbers probably get where they should have been. I can recall at least 10-15 throws that if they were even in the zip code...Fant get 200 more receiving yards and 3-4 more touchdowns. You can't blame the coach or the offensive coordinator when his QB can hit the open guy or makes the wrong read. Now, if you want to talk about a QB change...at Penn State for example, that criticism is open to debate.

Having a QB that is accurate in our offense is critical to every phase of the offense. It opens up the running game, it keeps the chains moving, and allows our offensive line to start wearing people out and it gets the safeties out of the box. Stanley has to be better.

Honestly, I think KF has evolved and is allowing his coaches to coach. We go for it on fourth down with frequency, we have special team trick plays that have been very successful...and we have made adjustments to the defense (CASH) that, although slow to come, made a huge difference against teams that normally exploited our three linebacker sets. All good adjustments by the 5 Million Dollar Man.

"Ferentz had a RB committee that combined for 4.4 yards per carry. That’s totally underwhelming for a team that had a pair of dominant tight ends who could force opponents into difficult matchups.

The Hawkeyes are poised to continue producing versatile players for the NFL, but they’re missing out on some of the benefits for themselves along the way."

That's all you need to know. Frustrating.

Could not agree more.

Your signature says it all. As another poster said - Ferentz and Mini Me are blockheads.

These are the kinds of things that, although they obviously don’t read them, should piss off and embarrass Daddy and Baby ‘Rentz.

Those two are both complete blockheads who would rather be stubborn than adapt, but even a stubborn blockhead should get pissed about it and at least try to prove everyone wrong.

Parker does a masterful job of adapting his sets to the personnel rather than trying to drive square pegs into round holes, and it pays off. Amani Hooker last year was a perfect example.

Dr. Evil and Mini Me would rather lose 4-5 winnable games a year and say, “That’s Iowa football” rather than make any adaptations to the offense and have to eat some crow. Their results show it too.

Name any team in the last 15 years that’s put as many quality players in the NFL as Iowa that’s had as mediocre results.

And the bullshit excuse about Iowa being a program that breeds good pro talent but doesn’t fit the NCAA “style” is bogus. Change your style and win more games, then. You have the player’s already.

I could not agree more with your post.

It's a good thing for papa and junior that Iowa had a Top 10 defense. I know they say defense wins championships, but that's not really true when the offense is run by an arrogant hothead positional coach.

No hammer and nail for Mr Ian Boyd.

Dude has a nail gun in his hand with that article.

Summary
Iowa’s offense playing with one hand tied behind their back

and that makes slight of hand much more difficult

and not taking advantage of opponent’s weaker hand

What I find frustrating is that for as good as Iowa's defense has been statistically under Phil and Norm, the defense can't seem to ever get a stop in the fourth quarter when they really need it.

The obvious answer is that the defense gets tired from being on the field too much, but you shouldn't get tired if you can force some three and outs during the game. I'd also be interested to see some time of possession stats from some games but I don't have time to look them up right now.

I thought we weren’t supposed to criticize the Ferentz.

I'm surprised that people continue to be so negative on BF. The Iowa offense is so much more varied than the Greg Davis days in my opinion..especially in the passing game. Nate Stanely threw the ball almost 400 times and had 26 TDs for the second straight year. Brian's first QB that he's worked with will set the TD record for QBs in Iowa history.

I'll go back to the fact that I'm sure Stanley himself will say he can be better. In this offense, a good QB is going to complete 65-68% of his passes. Stanley was 59% last year. The offense uses formations in the short passing game to scheme people open and get favorable match-ups. I'm telling you, if CJ Beathard was running this offense, he'd be over 70%.

I'll admit, there were some head scratcher game plans. Northwestern stifled us and had 11 guys within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage for much of the first half and we continued to run into it. Baffling. You could have run Fant and Hockenson straight down the field and they would have been running with safties...that had no chance.

The other games we lost...Wisconsin...Stanley didn't make the plays and turnovers killed us. Penn State- Stanley was 11-48 and had guys running open all over the place. Purdue - the defense's only contribution to a loss. Northwestern - see above.

The reality is that Stanley has to play better in the big games period. You can't really blame him for NW as the two late turnovers killed us and the game plan sucked. The other three, he could have won with stellar play. He didn't make the throws when he needed to.

In a marked contrast to the Greg Davis years...we have guys schemed wide open in every game. Our QB has to hit them with more frequency.

Us playing conservative football makes the defense look much better because it limits opponents time of possesion. Less attempts equals better stats. The inability to stop late drives then is very telling on how good or bad you really are.

Latest posts