This pretty much sums it up

Easley was pretty productive. Those quick outs, those stop routes that Edelman and Welker made famous, BF incorporated that into the Iowa offense. Stanley just misfired on more of those throws than he should have.

Exactly...there is no doubt that Brian is incorporating more and more of the short passing game from the Patriots. The only problem I see if that we will not have a GOAT running it at Iowa. He has to do alot of work to bring these QBs up to speed quickly. Think about what Mansell is saying, things are just now starting to slow down for him...after two years of being in the program. Iowa now has a luxury...you have Petras and Mansell battling it out for the the back up job...my guess is that next Spring, whomever is named the starter...the other transfers...as he should or as would be expected...that's just the business these days.

These are the kinds of things that, although they obviously don’t read them, should piss off and embarrass Daddy and Baby ‘Rentz.

Those two are both complete blockheads who would rather be stubborn than adapt, but even a stubborn blockhead should get pissed about it and at least try to prove everyone wrong.

Parker does a masterful job of adapting his sets to the personnel rather than trying to drive square pegs into round holes, and it pays off. Amani Hooker last year was a perfect example.

Dr. Evil and Mini Me would rather lose 4-5 winnable games a year and say, “That’s Iowa football” rather than make any adaptations to the offense and have to eat some crow. Their results show it too.

Name any team in the last 15 years that’s put as many quality players in the NFL as Iowa that’s had as mediocre results.

And the bullshit excuse about Iowa being a program that breeds good pro talent but doesn’t fit the NCAA “style” is bogus. Change your style and win more games, then. You have the player’s already.

They know full well what is going on. They also know of their realities. They know they can’t recruit so they choose to develop instead. They know zero about offense other than blocking and tight end play. Kirk either has limited connections to skill position coaches or they won’t come here knowing they’ll never be allowed to coordinate or rise to head coach here, it’s a dead end. Furthermore, they understand the kf style of win through defense and field position. The offense is simply needed in order to rest the defense.

Iowa is a lot like Vanderbilt or one of the military academies. A simply awesome environment for old school learning, but is a pretender in the grand scheme of p5 football. Kirk knows exactly his place in the world and is extremely proud he’s pulled off fairly consistent “under the radar” success for so long. He never dreamt it was possible years ago when he fell into the position with a losing record at Maine as his head coaching experience: This is why he cries after semi b10 upsets and when talking about walk ons because in reality, he is one himself. I like the man ...even though I bash on him. It’s a business these days so you tend to harden up over time and remove emotions. I do like him, but from the business side, I can’t help but think we’ve been shorted here.

I called for change a number of years ago as I saw the flaws in his system back then...like Frydaze. The remarkable thing to me is how so many either don’t see it or simply choose to continue devouring the same crap sammich annually. We are not a progressive program at all and kf is scared of his shadow. He’s brainwashed the entire state into thinking Iowa City will cease to exist if they played out of town in September (outside of the clowns). He has been unbelievably fortunate that the b10w has been so incredibly weak most of his tenure and that crossover games couldn’t have been handpicked any better. Even b10 bowl affiliations and matchups have been very favorable in many years.

The fan base is as good as any in America. But we are also inherently naive. Some of that is a very good trait but For this timeframe and for the staggering amount of money that is tied into the “business” of college football, it has run well past its course

He has been unbelievably fortunate that the b10w has been so incredibly weak most of his tenure and that crossover games couldn’t have been handpicked any better. Even b10 bowl affiliations and matchups have been very favorable in many years.

The fan base is as good as any in America. But we are also inherently naive. Some of that is a very good trait but For this timeframe and for the staggering amount of money that is tied into the “business” of college football, it has run well past its course

Ferentz has been coaching since 1999 (20 years). The B1G West has existed since 2014 (5 years), only 25% of his tenure. The B1G has Legends and Leaders for 3 seasons before that, and before that no divisions.

I know you are most likely a troll, so debating these points means you are winning, but alas, here I go regardless.

No rational person can really think that Iowa has had cross-over games and bowl matchups that have been any more favorable than any other B1G team, or for that matter any other P5 team, right? Sure, some years they get the luck of the draw, and others they don't. That is how it works for all teams.

And to wrap, I will share some of @BVHawk95 's research from a prior discussion he had with you, as either you have forgotten it or neglected to read it:

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2019-01-07

03- 10th rated SOS (10-3)
04- 12th (10-2)
05- 12th (7-5)
06- 48th (6-7)
07- 73rd (6-6)
08- 30th (9-4)
09- 32nd (11-2)
10- 35th (8-5)
11- 47th (7-6)
12- 50th (4-8)
13- 38th (8-5)
14- 59th (7-6)
15- 51st (12-2)
16- 44th (8-5)
17- 10th (8-5)
18- 27th (9-4)

So there are somewhere around 65ish P5 teams from year to year. Iowa's average SOS over the 16 year span detailed above? 36th, right around the middle of the pack.

They did have an easy scheduling stretch from 2011-2016 that would have been nice to take greater advantage of. They will make up for that with a pretty tough stretch from 2017 through 2020 (projected 10th SOS for '19, probably similar for '20 with cross-overs vs. MSU, @OSU, and @PSU).

Ferentz has been coaching since 1999 (20 years). The B1G West has existed since 2014 (5 years), only 25% of his tenure. The B1G has Legends and Leaders for 3 seasons before that, and before that no divisions.

I know you are most likely a troll, so debating these points means you are winning, but alas, here I go regardless.

No rational person can really think that Iowa has had cross-over games and bowl matchups that have been any more favorable than any other B1G team, or for that matter any other P5 team, right? Sure, some years they get the luck of the draw, and others they don't. That is how it works for all teams.

And to wrap, I will share some of @BVHawk95 's research from a prior discussion he had with you, as either you have forgotten it or neglected to read it:

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2019-01-07

04- 12th (10-2)
05- 12th (7-5)
06- 48th (6-7)
07- 73rd (6-6)
08- 30th (9-4)
09- 32nd (11-2)
10- 35th (8-5)
11- 47th (7-6)
12- 50th (4-8)
13- 38th (8-5)
14- 59th (7-6)
15- 51st (12-2)
16- 44th (8-5)
17- 10th (8-5)
18- 27th (9-4)

So there are somewhere around 65ish P5 teams from year to year. Iowa's average SOS over the 16 year span detailed above? 36th, right around the middle of the pack.

They did have an easy scheduling stretch from 2011-2016 that would have been nice to take greater advantage of. They will make up for that with a pretty tough stretch from 2017 through 2020 (projected 10th SOS for '19, probably similar for '20 with cross-overs vs. MSU, @OSU, and @PSU).

He is a troll, but it is hard not to feed him. People keep feeding him so he keeps coming back. You just gave him a leftover turkey sandwich to feast on.:)

04- 12th (10-2)
05- 12th (7-5)
06- 48th (6-7)
07- 73rd (6-6)
08- 30th (9-4)
09- 32nd (11-2)
10- 35th (8-5)
11- 47th (7-6)
12- 50th (4-8)
13- 38th (8-5)
14- 59th (7-6)
15- 51st (12-2)
16- 44th (8-5)
17- 10th (8-5)
18- 27th (9-4)

I find it odd (read: maddening) that not only does Iowa do their best against good schedules, but we regularly underperform against weak ones.

Still, everyone is right. You're talking to SenileHawk12

I find it odd (read: maddening) that not only does Iowa do their best against good schedules, but we regularly underperform against weak ones.

Still, everyone is right. You're talking to SenileHawk12

Ferentz bashers would explain it as Kirk purposely tanks games in the easy schedule years just to keep expectations low. Then wins against tougher schedules just to keep us off balance.

They know full well what is going on. They also know of their realities. They know they can’t recruit so they choose to develop instead. They know zero about offense other than blocking and tight end play. Kirk either has limited connections to skill position coaches or they won’t come here knowing they’ll never be allowed to coordinate or rise to head coach here, it’s a dead end. Furthermore, they understand the kf style of win through defense and field position. The offense is simply needed in order to rest the defense.

Iowa is a lot like Vanderbilt or one of the military academies. A simply awesome environment for old school learning, but is a pretender in the grand scheme of p5 football. Kirk knows exactly his place in the world and is extremely proud he’s pulled off fairly consistent “under the radar” success for so long. He never dreamt it was possible years ago when he fell into the position with a losing record at Maine as his head coaching experience: This is why he cries after semi b10 upsets and when talking about walk ons because in reality, he is one himself. I like the man ...even though I bash on him. It’s a business these days so you tend to harden up over time and remove emotions. I do like him, but from the business side, I can’t help but think we’ve been shorted here.

I called for change a number of years ago as I saw the flaws in his system back then...like Frydaze. The remarkable thing to me is how so many either don’t see it or simply choose to continue devouring the same crap sammich annually. We are not a progressive program at all and kf is scared of his shadow. He’s brainwashed the entire state into thinking Iowa City will cease to exist if they played out of town in September (outside of the clowns). He has been unbelievably fortunate that the b10w has been so incredibly weak most of his tenure and that crossover games couldn’t have been handpicked any better. Even b10 bowl affiliations and matchups have been very favorable in many years.

LOL...wait...were you serious? Old Captain Kirk has his flaws, but the one thing you can be sure of is that on Sunday morning your football team will know you played Iowa the day before. I like that about Iowa Football. His team gives effort every week and is fundamentally sound. I believe the program is on the upswing these days and there is a marked improvement in recruiting...hence the early filling of the classes.

We can certainly play better in the big games, as we have lost some heartbreakers the past three years...that needs to improve...but it's always good to look at Iowa State, Minnesota, and Nebraska and see a 12-0 record against your three main rivals on your schedule over the past 4 years.

04- 12th (10-2)
05- 12th (7-5)
06- 48th (6-7)
07- 73rd (6-6)
08- 30th (9-4)
09- 32nd (11-2)
10- 35th (8-5)
11- 47th (7-6)
12- 50th (4-8)
13- 38th (8-5)
14- 59th (7-6)
15- 51st (12-2)
16- 44th (8-5)
17- 10th (8-5)
18- 27th (9-4)

Nope. Been a lifelong fan for 60 yrs and much closer to the program than you’ll ever know. Also, know a ton of people in the coaching industry that obviously speak off the record when I’m talking to them. There are a lot of coaches with a great deal of respect for kf. They also realize the limitations and understand categories. It all comes down to what you want out of life and the level of risk taker you are. The demographic of this message board isn’t necessarily the same one that represents the fanbase or any other subset. There are a lot of different opinions here. I’m certainly not the only person unhappy with results based on the unprecedented support and resources behind the program. And as far as the nonsense with the rebuttals, I spoke to all of that in the past, but the kf supporters are so blinded, they simply are not objective enough to have a conversation about it and look at the rebuttals. I’m not going to rehash other than to say very simply...I compare Iowa to their peers...meaning...other programs that give their coaches lifetime contracts, $6 mill salaries and all the bonuses, the budget and facilities at his disposal. When viewed in that light, you are talking about Iowa and KF being supported in the top 15 or so. When you look at schedule strength and results in comparison to the 15, it simply isn’t there. I don’t compare him to akron or ball st or northern ill or even the clowns. He has significantly more resources at his disposal and results as well as expectations should track accordingly

Nope. Been a lifelong fan for 60 yrs and much closer to the program than you’ll ever know. Also, know a ton of people in the coaching industry that obviously speak off the record when I’m talking to them. There are a lot of coaches with a great deal of respect for kf. They also realize the limitations and understand categories. It all comes down to what you want out of life and the level of risk taker you are. The demographic of this message board isn’t necessarily the same one that represents the fanbase or any other subset. There are a lot of different opinions here. I’m certainly not the only person unhappy with results based on the unprecedented support and resources behind the program. And as far as the nonsense with the rebuttals, I spoke to all of that in the past, but the kf supporters are so blinded, they simply are not objective enough to have a conversation about it and look at the rebuttals. I’m not going to rehash other than to say very simply...I compare Iowa to their peers...meaning...other programs that give their coaches lifetime contracts, $6 mill salaries and all the bonuses, the budget and facilities at his disposal. When viewed in that light, you are talking about Iowa and KF being supported in the top 15 or so. When you look at schedule strength and results in comparison to the 15, it simply isn’t there. I don’t compare him to akron or ball st or northern ill or even the clowns. He has significantly more resources at his disposal and results as well as expectations should track accordingly

That's just plain wrong. We are not top 15 in a single category that you mentioned.

Coaches pay: 17th
Facilities: not even top 20
Annual budget: 20th
Revenue: 18th
Length of contract: not comparable. I can't find anyone with a similar length of contract.
Bonuses: also can not get a firm number or ranking for this category, but I am confident it isn't top 15 either.

So your argument is false on foundation. We are 20th in budget so any year that we finish top 20 Kirk more than earned his pay. I've looked up enough numbers to debunk your assertions. I will let someone else look up how many top 20 finishes Kirk has even though I know that for Kirk's first decade Iowa wasn't anywhere near the top 20 in annual budget.

Not mixing in paragraph breaks is that part of the troll as well?

That's just plain wrong. We are not top 15 in a single category that you mentioned.

Coaches pay: 17th
Facilities: not even top 20
Annual budget: 20th
Revenue: 18th
Length of contract: not comparable. I can't find anyone with a similar length of contract.
Bonuses: also can not get a firm number or ranking for this category, but I am confident it isn't top 15 either.

So your argument is false on foundation. We are 20th in budget so any year that we finish top 20 Kirk more than earned his pay. I've looked up enough numbers to debunk your assertions. I will let someone else look up how many top 20 finishes Kirk has even though I know that for Kirk's first decade Iowa wasn't anywhere near the top 20 in annual budget.
15 is a figure of speech. Are you really this dense? And think about what you just said. You can’t find anyone with a length of contract like his. Exactly. That’s my point. So, i compare his schedule strength and performance against the other top 15, 18 or whatever number it is. And his budget and facilities would most certainly firmly be in the top 15 or so in the nation. The bottom line is, the results on the field don’t match the support given. His schedules alone between 06-16 are a flat out joke

15 is a figure of speech. Are you really this dense? And think about what you just said. You can’t find anyone with a length of contract like his. Exactly. That’s my point. So, i compare his schedule strength and performance against the other top 15, 18 or whatever number it is. And his budget and facilities would most certainly firmly be in the top 15 or so in the nation. The bottom line is, the results on the field don’t match the support given. His schedules alone between 06-16 are a flat out joke

If "15 is a figure of speech", what ELSE in all your posts do you pull out of your "figure of speech"-hole? When you say you "know a ton of people in the coaching industry", does that really mean, "I read blogs by guys claiming to be insiders"? Does "much closer to the program than you'll ever know" actually mean, "I post on more than 5 Iowa-related message boards"?

But the one I REALLY want you to answer is the demographic of this board as compared to the fanbase and any other subset. I just GOTTA know the qualitative and quantitative values of the studies that brought out that info.

Lol I'm dense yet you throw out numbers from your ass. The difference between Iowa at 20th in annual budget vs actual 15th USC is 1.3 million a year. USC also profits an extra 9 million a year. Far surpassing the B1G treasure fountain. The PAC 12 is a weak conference. USC is one of the most historic programs in history in arguably one of the most desirable locations in the nation. They probably are way better then dumb Iowa and dumb Kirk.

Since 2010: USC 78-40
Iowa 71-46

Maybe if we actually funded our program as a top 15 we could find that extra win a year to be as good as you desire. Or we could always just move to the PAC 12.

I had about a ten post exchange this winter with a poster who tried to point out Kirk's recent mediocrity, then conveniently threw out the 2015 season as if it didn't exist. It was like trying to explain to someone that a pound of lead weighs the same as a pound of cotton.

Some of Kirk's wins feel more like survival tests then they do wins. That's what infuriates the naysayers. His wins don't feel as sexy as other people's. Kirk has admitted himself that were not sexy. That's OK. They've said similiar things about Wisconsin basketball in the past. Mississippi State is still scratching their heads trying to figure out how they lost that Outback Bowl. And they probably always will.

All that said, it's time to step up and start winning more big games and an occasional conference championship. Like Bo Ryan did toward the end of his career.

well let me go back to Joe Moore or Chuck Knoll .............................KF is just old school. 1970s football. Physical with emphasis on run game on O. Not many schools have won a national title, so most of the schools who deploy alternate philosophies are not getting natty titles either. KF has opened up quite a bit most would have to admit, with the going on 4th downs and fake field goals. Just wish we would see a bit more of that on defense with blitzing.

The flaw in your thinking here is that you believe that Kirk actually schedules the games. He doesn't. It's up to the athletic director to schedule the games. And they are scheduled years (in some cases up to 12 years) in advance. It's incredibly difficult to determine just how strong your OOC schedule is because this year's conference champs can be doormats in 3 years. Here's an article about it:

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ned-far-advance-athletic-directors-unhappy-it

Latest posts