This officiating absolutely sucks...

IIRC, the discrepancy was a little more lopsided towards the latter part of the second half. Iowa got some foul calls late in the game that helped "even" things out, and kept the game closer than it was at the time.
As I watched the game, I felt the refs weren't calling the same fouls on both ends. I think it led to Fran's T.
Needless to say, it was frustrating.

I watched the game again and you are correct. The referees bailed out the hoosiers the latter part of the second half when we started to make our comeback. If Indy counldn't get a good shot and the clock was winding down, the refs would call the most minor of ticky tacky fouls if they weren't phantom fouls.....

College basketball: 'An old jalopy in need of repair' - CNN.com

this is a good article. can't tell you how much i'd love it if they brought the shot clock down to 24. i like to see a fast paced game, and in the big 10, that can be hard to come by.

honestly, if they called every foul like they should, guys would learn not to foul as much. sounds obvious, right? but, when you have a game like Mich St where nothing is called and it is very rough down low, and then a game like last night where the whistles are constantly going, it makes for anger and confusion. if you call it consistently that clears it up. i'd love for the big 10 to move to a "clean" game and get rid of the rough play.

College basketball: 'An old jalopy in need of repair' - CNN.com

this is a good article. can't tell you how much i'd love it if they brought the shot clock down to 24. i like to see a fast paced game, and in the big 10, that can be hard to come by.

honestly, if they called every foul like they should, guys would learn not to foul as much. sounds obvious, right? but, when you have a game like Mich St where nothing is called and it is very rough down low, and then a game like last night where the whistles are constantly going, it makes for anger and confusion. if you call it consistently that clears it up. i'd love for the big 10 to move to a "clean" game and get rid of the rough play.

I am not even saying they need to call everything but at least keep the game from turning into a rugby match and however you do call it, call it the same both ways.

Watched the game again late last night and have recorded an unbiased report which are the absolute facts.....

Despite all the fouls called and too many turnovers, our defense was strong. We were only behind 6 points with 3:37 left in the first half.......

Marble didn't touch the ball going out of bounds off the hoosier. The replay makes it obvious. They scored after getting the ball. We had a few good shots that simply did not go in during this period of time at Assembly Hall, home of the Number One team in the country that had just lost at Minnesota on Wednesday.
They couldn't afford to lose two in a row at this stage of the game. Duke beating Miami would have put them ahead of Indiana......

Since when can you tackle a player running ahead of you like Zeller did to Clemmons. It is permissible to throw yourself on the floor knocking the opponent off his feet. Sure seems like it should have been a foul on Zeller. They kept playing it over and over and nobody mentioned that Clemmons was literally tackled from behind.....

They only had 17 free throws to our 3 at the half......

Started strong the second half cutting the lead to 8. Then after an Indiana basket the zebras took over.....

Mystery foul on Basabe against Zeller.......

Devyn cuts it to ten, then nine, but the Hoosiers answered both times. Indiana by 11......

Buffalo Wild Wings Slo-Mo commercial is lame......

I don't know what the stats are for a team winning at the number one team's home court three days after losing, Probably favors the home team......

Another Mystery foul on Basabe at around 15:30......

We were just off on a lot of good shots......

Zeller makes another basket with a phantom foul on McCabe.....

Our D was playing well, other than Zeller.......

May cuts it to 12, then Zeller runs the baseline around Gabe for the bucket........

Marble cuts it to 14, Aaron is flattened and goes to the free throw line, misses......

Another questionable foul, they make the free throws, then on the other end White gets flattened and Indiana races down court.......

White starting to come alive, making a few shots.....

Foul on Woodbury backing away from Zeller......Nonsense......

Referee trying to prevent Marble from returning to the floor......

Another ticky tacky foul on Marble against Watford......

Really unseen foul against Sheehey, perhaps the worst...

If Indiana doesn't have a shot and time is running down, they call an invisible foul on Iowa almost every time down the court....White and May block Zeller's shot and they call White for the foul, two free throws....

Foolish defensive play leaves Zeller alone under the basket......

Hulls hooks Ingram's arm and receives free throws.....

Time running down, Indiana can't get a shot so they call a foul on Clemmons against Watford.....

Nice pass to Olaseni cuts the lead to 12 at 4:46.....

Aaron throws it away, Zeller trips May up and draws a foul.....

May dunk cuts it to 10 at 3:30, Hawk stop and a chance to cut it to single digits becomes a turnover....

Indiana scores, 12 point lead with 2:37, May hits two free throws to cut it to 10 with about 2:20 to go, refs bail Indiana out, not able to get a shot, call ticky tacky foul. Only make one free throw, Zach gets rebound, baseline ref points Iowa's way but halfcourt referee says McCabe stepped on line. Indiana can't get a shot, another foul called......

Behind by 13 with 1:29 to go, White makes two free throws to cut it to 11.......

Olapedo with back breaking three, now it's 70-56

White cuts it to 12 with a minute to go, Yogi nails a three and Aaron slams it for the final basket. Iowa loses 73-60, close against all odds.......decent effort despite turnovers and missed free throws.......

They only shot 18 more free throws. Refs called 52 fouls.......

We made 17-24. Indiana shot 29-42 from the free throw line.....

Without the assistance of the refs, it is a closer game, not necessarily a win but closer. As is is we did well considering all the circumstances......

Illinois goes down next......

Last edited:
Now the big ten refs including TV Teddy V are making the ending of the MSU vs UM game unbearable.

Maybe I missed it but the 2 most obvious blown calls have not even been discussed in this thread. The play right before Fran gets the technical is the most obvious travel I have ever seen. Sheehey take 3 steps and not 1 dribble. A little later, Sheehey loses control of the dribble and, in an attempt to regain control, carries the ball about 5 feet before putting it back on the floor. Ogelsby seems to be the only person in the arena that understands what a carry is. Not that these type of blown calls cost Iowa the game but it leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

Maybe I missed it but the 2 most obvious blown calls have not even been discussed in this thread. The play right before Fran gets the technical is the most obvious travel I have ever seen. Sheehey take 3 steps and not 1 dribble. A little later, Sheehey loses control of the dribble and, in an attempt to regain control, carries the ball about 5 feet before putting it back on the floor. Ogelsby seems to be the only person in the arena that understands what a carry is. Not that these type of blown calls cost Iowa the game but it leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

Refs don't call travel anymore, if you watched UM/MSU today you would have seen many by MSU in the 2nd half that were not called.

The whole carrying the ball thing just irritates me beyond belief, if a player juggles the ball the ref lets it go, even if they go about half court.

Watched the game again late last night and have recorded an unbiased report which are the absolute facts.....

Despite all the fouls called and too many turnovers, our defense was strong. We were only behind 6 points with 3:37 left in the first half.......

Marble didn't touch the ball going out of bounds off the hoosier. The replay makes it obvious. They scored after getting the ball. We had a few good shots that simply did not go in during this period of time at Assembly Hall, home of the Number One team in the country that had just lost at Minnesota on Wednesday.
They couldn't afford to lose two in a row at this stage of the game. Duke beating Miami would have put them ahead of Indiana......

Since when can you tackle a player running ahead of you like Zeller did to Clemmons. It is permissible to throw yourself on the floor knocking the opponent off his feet. Sure seems like it should have been a foul on Zeller. They kept playing it over and over and nobody mentioned that Clemmons was literally tackled from behind.....

They only had 17 free throws to our 3 at the half......

Started strong the second half cutting the lead to 8. Then after an Indiana basket the zebras took over.....

Mystery foul on Basabe against Zeller.......

Devyn cuts it to ten, then nine, but the Hoosiers answered both times. Indiana by 11......

Buffalo Wild Wings Slo-Mo commercial is lame......

I don't know what the stats are for a team winning at the number one team's home court three days after losing, Probably favors the home team......

Another Mystery foul on Basabe at around 15:30......

We were just off on a lot of good shots......

Zeller makes another basket with a phantom foul on McCabe.....

Our D was playing well, other than Zeller.......

May cuts it to 12, then Zeller runs the baseline around Gabe for the bucket........

Marble cuts it to 14, Aaron is flattened and goes to the free throw line, misses......

Another questionable foul, they make the free throws, then on the other end White gets flattened and Indiana races down court.......

White starting to come alive, making a few shots.....

Foul on Woodbury backing away from Zeller......Nonsense......

Referee trying to prevent Marble from returning to the floor......

Another ticky tacky foul on Marble against Watford......

Really unseen foul against Sheehey, perhaps the worst...

If Indiana doesn't have a shot and time is running down, they call an invisible foul on Iowa almost every time down the court....White and May block Zeller's shot and they call White for the foul, two free throws....

Foolish defensive play leaves Zeller alone under the basket......

Hulls hooks Ingram's arm and receives free throws.....

Time running down, Indiana can't get a shot so they call a foul on Clemmons against Watford.....

Nice pass to Olaseni cuts the lead to 12 at 4:46.....

Aaron throws it away, Zeller trips May up and draws a foul.....

May dunk cuts it to 10 at 3:30, Hawk stop and a chance to cut it to single digits becomes a turnover....

Indiana scores, 12 point lead with 2:37, May hits two free throws to cut it to 10 with about 2:20 to go, refs bail Indiana out, not able to get a shot, call ticky tacky foul. Only make one free throw, Zach gets rebound, baseline ref points iowa's way but halfcourt referee says McCabe stepped on line. Indiana can't get a shot, another foul called......

Behind by 13 with 1:29 to go, White makes two free throws to cut ti to 11.......

Olapedo with back breaking three, now it's 70-56

White cuts it to 12 with a minute to go, Yogi nails a three and Aaron slams it for the final basket. Iowa loses 73-60, close against all odds.......decent effort despite turnovers and missed free throws.......

They only shot 18 more free throws. Refs called 52 fouls.......

We made 17-24. Indiana shot 29-42 from the free throw line.....

Without the assistance of the refs, it is a closer game, not necessariy a win but closer. As is is we did well considering all the circumstances......

Illinois goes down next......

Absolutely awesome Unc

Refs don't call travel anymore, if you watched UM/MSU today you would have seen many by MSU in the 2nd half that were not called.

The whole carrying the ball thing just irritates me beyond belief, if a player juggles the ball the ref lets it go, even if they go about half court.

#nbaproblems

Indiana is a far better team. I didn't think there was any chance Iowa would win, and they didn't. But my gosh Zeller was getting MJ treatment. I wonder if Crean went nuts behind the scenes with the beating Zeller took at Minnesota earlier in the week. He was abused by the Gophers...and it was too physical.

The pendulum swung the other way on Saturday in Bloomington.

thats why i cancelled Big Ten Network . I blamed this Harsechit on Jim Delaney. He can't control those showboats.

wow, thorough write up there jack!
"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy". You might be wound a little tight there Jack-0. You and Scat may want to share a bottle before it's too late. P.S. you looked like **** on Oscar night. Can't imagine a world without you friend.

As an official I can tell you this, the average HS bball fan has no ******* clue what traveling is. I don't think the average college fan is any better. Maybe the poasters here are slightly above average, but I doubt it.

its hard im sure but college basketball is probably the poorest officiated out of pro and major college sports...

Latest posts