This officiating absolutely sucks...

I really loved the call that I saw 17 times tonight, the one where an Indiana player drives left, Iowa defender is in good position, Indiana player uses their right hand to go up with the shot cause they have no left hand only to get bailed out by a BS call. Of course it's going to look like a foul because it just does but when the defender is in good position your supposed to reward them not call fouls on them. Any Iowa fan not seeing the BS calls is just blind or stupid or both.

Totally agree. This game was decided by the refs, no doubt......

Anyone who thinks otherwise did not watch the same game......

That was one of the worst refereed games this year. Just ridiculous, the ticky tacky fouls they called. Big Ten officiating is inconsistent - one game they call touch fouls and the next they let everything go. HORRIBLE

Zeller definitely got some super star calls,or non-calls tonight. That said we scored 14 ******* points in the first half. We weren't winning that game if Fran's wife was officiating that game.

Zeller definitely got some super star calls,or non-calls tonight. That said we scored 14 ******* points in the first half. We weren't winning that game if Fran's wife was officiating that game.

maybe if we had her shooting

bilde

Whaaa. Big Ten roadie. If Iowa wasn't looking like complete crap and scored more than 14 points I might agree..

Besides the point. Either the officiating sucked, or it didn't. Regardless of how Iowa played.

And just because it's a road game doesn't mean that it shouldn't be called fairly, instead of the home team getting all the calls. Call the game the right F'ing way. Period. There's no excuse for calling it otherwise.

zanseer or wtf his name is - little bastage has sucked for so many years.

Can't stand him

He is f"ing horrible....Indiana was in the penalty 7:30 minutes into the 1st half...Iowa played well enough to keep it close but every call went against them....Woodbury will be a pretty good player if the refs ever give him a little bit of respect...touch fouls bs

I was not disappointed with the efforts of both teams. To catch Indiana coming off a loss at their place was too big an order to handle when you are down your primary point guard. I was disappointed in the quality of the officiating; in a one word description, INCONSISTENT. I've watched a lot of bball this winter and last night was the first time where I watched an Iowa game and felt there was one set of rules for IU and another for UI.

What really brought it home for me was the end of the game. Hulls was physically all over his man all night, body on body. He got whistled twice in the last two minutes for something he did all night. His face expression was one of incredulous once he started getting called. How could you call that after I've been allowed to do it all evening?

Zeller doesn't need any help, he is a great player for a man his size. Near the end of the game Woodbury was totally erect with arms and hands straight up. Zeller makes space by going into Woodbury's abdomen, which causes Woodbury to bend at the waist, out comes the whistle. It was an offensive foul on the replay but Woodbury gets called. If the roles were reversed Woodbury would have been called for the offensive foul.

Well the game is over and the outcome was as expected with IU winning, with the quality of the players I still expect a quality effort by the officials and that I did not see.

I was not disappointed with the efforts of both teams. To catch Indiana coming off a loss at their place was too big an order to handle when you are down your primary point guard. I was disappointed in the quality of the officiating; in a one word description, INCONSISTENT. I've watched a lot of bball this winter and last night was the first time where I watched an Iowa game and felt there was one set of rules for IU and another for UI.

What really brought it home for me was the end of the game. Hulls was physically all over his man all night, body on body. He got whistled twice in the last two minutes for something he did all night. His face expression was one of incredulous once he started getting called. How could you call that after I've been allowed to do it all evening?

Zeller doesn't need any help, he is a great player for a man his size. Near the end of the game Woodbury was totally erect with arms and hands straight up. Zeller makes space by going into Woodbury's abdomen, which causes Woodbury to bend at the waist, out comes the whistle. It was an offensive foul on the replay but Woodbury gets called. If the roles were reversed Woodbury would have been called for the offensive foul.

Well the game is over and the outcome was as expected with IU winning, with the quality of the players I still expect a quality effort by the officials and that I did not see.

in before edit.

With all the money the conference is making I wish they would invest some of it on getting the best officials. Good officiating is good for the game and for the safety and development of the players.

Summing up a number of posts.

1. The game was decided by Indiana's physical strength being stronger which allows Iowa players to be moved and gives appearance to Iowa being fouled. Exception May.
2. The game was decided by Indiana's superior fundamental body positioning which makes gives an appearance to Iowa being fouled. Exception May.
3. Woody played a great game on Zeller? Decent when under the basket. Problem was Zeller was all over the place and Iowa's help defense (especially White) was bad.
4. The speed of the game is hard for human eyes to handle. Including fans.
5. Iowa's help defense amounts to standing flat footed and swiping at the ball when IU drives by.

The free throw discrepancy was not that one sided:

Hawkeyes: 17-24

Indiana: 29-42

IIRC, the discrepancy was a little more lopsided towards the latter part of the second half. Iowa got some foul calls late in the game that helped "even" things out, and kept the game closer than it was at the time.
As I watched the game, I felt the refs weren't calling the same fouls on both ends. I think it led to Fran's T.
Needless to say, it was frustrating.

Summing up a number of posts.

1. The game was decided by Indiana's physical strength being stronger which allows Iowa players to be moved and gives appearance to Iowa being fouled. Exception May.
2. The game was decided by Indiana's superior fundamental body positioning which makes gives an appearance to Iowa being fouled. Exception May.
3. Woody played a great game on Zeller? Decent when under the basket. Problem was Zeller was all over the place and Iowa's help defense (especially White) was bad.
4. The speed of the game is hard for human eyes to handle. Including fans.
5. Iowa's help defense amounts to standing flat footed and swiping at the ball when IU drives by.

Wow, and you claim to be a basketball coach. Ok, I will bite, you make this way to easy.

1. The officiating was bad on both sides although Indiana got the home court advantage with the officials, especially with Zeller. B1G officials are letting the game get to physical and it needs to be fixed. This is across the board and not exclusive to Iowa games.
2. The game was decided because of 2 things and if you are a "coach" then you should be able to figure them out, I will give you a clue neither has anything to do with how Iowa played defensively.
3. Woody played great against Zeller, Zeller did beat him down the court a couple of times but overall our freshman did well. Someone that claims to be a coach should be able to see what is happening a way from the ball instead of just watching where the ball is.
4. Obviously you need to get your eyes checked, I think your age is affecting your eye sight. It might be time for a new pair of glasses.
5. (this is a repeat of your 2nd point)

Wow, and you claim to be a basketball coach. Ok, I will bite, you make this way to easy.

1. The officiating was bad on both sides although Indiana got the home court advantage with the officials, especially with Zeller. B1G officials are letting the game get to physical and it needs to be fixed. This is across the board and not exclusive to Iowa games.
2. The game was decided because of 2 things and if you are a "coach" then you should be able to figure them out, I will give you a clue neither has anything to do with how Iowa played defensively.
3. Woody played great against Zeller, Zeller did beat him down the court a couple of times but overall our freshman did well. Someone that claims to be a coach should be able to see what is happening a way from the ball instead of just watching where the ball is.
4. Obviously you need to get your eyes checked, I think your age is affecting your eye sight. It might be time for a new pair of glasses.
5. (this is a repeat of your 2nd point)

Must not have been watching the same game.

Ok, I'll bite. Why does Iowa always get screwed? Is it the accent? Is it corn? Been going on for over 30 years.

The game was decided by: Strength, speed, fundamentals, athletic ability. Good teams get more calls because the weaker team fouls more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Must not have been watching the same game.

Ok, I'll bite. Why does Iowa always get screwed? Is it the accent? Is it corn? Been going on for over 30 years.

The game was decided by: Strength, speed, fundamentals, athletic ability. Good teams get more calls because the weaker team fouls more.

I used to complain about officiating , until I grew up. It is an old tiring excuse that makes some feel better.

A lot of truth in that comment you closed with, ALOT!

Big Ten refs officiate all conferences, that is half the problem with the officiating in general. The other problem with officiating is that they do not call the game according to the rule book.

The other night I was watching a game and a guy got hammered on his way to the hoop, no call, but he missed the basket, the opponent already had an outlet pass before the foul was called.

Did anyone see Mbakwe block Zeller the other day and come through and almost knock out Zeller with the follow through and elbow to the cheek? That is a foul, not a block.

The officiating won't get better until it is more organized and all the conferences agree to have a real review board to oversee the officials. The bad officials have to be punished, the likes of Hightower, Valentine and Kennedy (Burr) were good once, but haven't been for some time.

Indiana is better than Iowa, they have better players and that really was the difference last night. Indiana has more than one guy, which Iowa doesn't, that can find his way to the hoop. Zeller is still one of the best players in the Nation and Oladipo still makes people look silly on defense. Iowa did a poor job keeping themselves out of positions to make the officials make a call. Complain all you want about Marble not touching the ball, but why did he reach for it to begin with? I read McCabe's lips after he got called for a blatant push he was saying fbs...it was the right call.

I am watching the FSU/UNC game and just watch Paige get pasted by not one, but two FSU guys and no call whatsoever, but UNC had a follow-up dunk, so no harm no foul. That is a problem and will continue to be with officials until all the conferences get together and put real pressure on the officials to get better.

Latest posts