This Is Why Iowa's Run Game Is So Much More Effective This Year.

MelroseHawkins

I truly think a lot of it has to do with going back and again lining the RB back about 8 yrds behind the LOS. I've been yelling at my TV the last 3 yrs for them to do this. Since GD came with his spread O with the QB always in shotgun, the RB's were lining up close which I don't think allowed the holes to open up when the RB was going through. The timing wasn't there. Prior to GD, they did line the RB up about 8 yards behind. See the successful years with Russell, Green, etc.. They got away from it the past few years. I think having Wiesman could have been a reason as well to line up closer.

Anyway, you can now see the zone blocking scheme work again and the timing seems to be like it used to be with the hole opening up at the ideal time for the RB to power through. Also, it's nice to see the counter run again which is a great play with lining up the RB that far back.

My opinion, but I think it has a bearing on the success.

I love MW, but I think the running game is more successful when you don't line a FB up at RB. That could have something to do with the additional success as well.

I always like Weisman, but one thing he could never do is the long break away run like Canzeri's 75-yd TD run against ILL.

Something that does seem to be better this year is the RB finding holes to run through. But the credit probably needs to be spread around a little.

First lets give credit to Canzeri for staying healthy, for being a leader and setting a good example, and for working hard in the off-season to make himself better.

2nd lets give credit to CJB for completing long throws that stretch the defense, making key runs that keep the defense off balance, and constant 3rd conversions that keep drives alive and tires out the opponents defense.

3rd lets give credit to the new run game coordinator, B. Fetentz. who seems to have improved commucation between the OL and the RB, and changed the schemes and play calls to help Iowa's running game.

Having a quicker back helps turn 5 yard runs into 12 yard ones (with the occasional bigger burst), but last year, Iowa's interior line didn't get any push. Interior OL is MUCH better than last year.

I think the biggest factor is the updated blocking scheme's. We are doing soooooo much more in the running game, that the D can't just overload a side and flow to it.

Watch games last year, the D would line up to influence which direction we would run the stretch play. The QB checks to run the ball to the side the D wants us to run (because of their alignment) and then they just flow hard to the play side and blow the run up.

Now we run so much more inside zone, with pulling guards, we are simply way more varied in our running game. It keeps the D guessing, and off balanced. Just look what we did to Illinois in the 2nd half with our running game. Heck they knew it was coming and they couldn't stop it. I think this is the biggest reason we are averaging over 40 yards per game more rushing.

I think the biggest factor is the updated blocking scheme's. We are doing soooooo much more in the running game, that the D can't just overload a side and flow to it.

Watch games last year, the D would line up to influence which direction we would run the stretch play. The QB checks to run the ball to the side the D wants us to run (because of their alignment) and then they just flow hard to the play side and blow the run up.

Now we run so much more inside zone, with pulling guards, we are simply way more varied in our running game. It keeps the D guessing, and off balanced. Just look what we did to Illinois in the 2nd half with our running game. Heck they knew it was coming and they couldn't stop it. I think this is the biggest reason we are averaging over 40 yards per game more rushing.

what you describe is what they did from when Ferentz arrived up to when GD got here. Now they are finally going back to it because it worked. Ferentz evaluated the entire program & finally realized it was best to go back to what worked. My point is lining up the RB is allowing this blocking to happen. It's a timing thing and the timing was off the past 3 years.

I love MW, but I think the running game is more successful when you don't line a FB up at RB. That could have something to do with the additional success as well.

I think that's the biggest factor but credit to CJ for making bigger plays in the passing game than Jake did last year.

Jake @ 11.4 YPC
CJ @ 12.5 YPC

Factor in the threat of CJ running as this is another factor opposing defenses have to be concerned with as well.

I truly think a lot of it has to do with going back and again lining the RB back about 8 yrds behind the LOS. I've been yelling at my TV the last 3 yrs for them to do this. Since GD came with his spread O with the QB always in shotgun, the RB's were lining up close which I don't think allowed the holes to open up when the RB was going through. The timing wasn't there. Prior to GD, they did line the RB up about 8 yards behind. See the successful years with Russell, Green, etc.. They got away from it the past few years. I think having Wiesman could have been a reason as well to line up closer.

Anyway, you can now see the zone blocking scheme work again and the timing seems to be like it used to be with the hole opening up at the ideal time for the RB to power through. Also, it's nice to see the counter run again which is a great play with lining up the RB that far back.

When i was rewatching the Illinois game closely this week, I was wondering about this as well. I think you nailed it. There were multiple plays where Canzeri was hitting the hole just as a blitz was getting picked up by a FB or TE, or just as the guards had pulled off to block a linebacker.

Digging out the LBs with trips, 5 wide, etc...... and not trying to block 9 with 5. Also having an actual RB carry the football has helped

IMHO: The distance from the line to where the tail back is positioned is more about timing and the speed of the running back. This years success is largely due to CJ keeping the defense away from the LOS. Defenses need to play looser this year than they did last year. With Ruddock, defenses only had to worry about was the LOS +3 yards. CJ gives the offense the weapon they lacked last year. A QB that can hurt through the air and on the ground. Loose defense play opens up more lanes for Jordan, more receiving routes. Better all around.

I would also say the interior line has been fantastic this year. We have four very solid guys in the middle three spots. I have watched several games a second time and even in the Wisky game with huge DT's, guys were getting shoved out of the way in the run game between the tackles. Not so much on stretch plays, though.

The line seems to be playing much better.

The scheming appears to be totally different, perhaps due to the Run Game Coordinator. I think I've seen more Center pulls this year than in Kirk's previous 16 years combined.

When i was rewatching the Illinois game closely this week, I was wondering about this as well. I think you nailed it. There were multiple plays where Canzeri was hitting the hole just as a blitz was getting picked up by a FB or TE, or just as the guards had pulled off to block a linebacker.

Exactly. If you rewatch the past 3 years and how the RB lines up closer to the line, that isn't happening & they get stalled at the line. I'm almost to the point of going out on a limb and stating this could be the biggest reason for the success in the running game.

IMHO: The distance from the line to where the tail back is positioned is more about timing and the speed of the running back. This years success is largely due to CJ keeping the defense away from the LOS. Defenses need to play looser this year than they did last year. With Ruddock, defenses only had to worry about was the LOS +3 yards. CJ gives the offense the weapon they lacked last year. A QB that can hurt through the air and on the ground. Loose defense play opens up more lanes for Jordan, more receiving routes. Better all around.

Valid point you make. I get that.

I was reading down the thread and had this thought: "blocking schemes" -- Good job outta you DEANvogs for expanding on it.

I think that's the biggest factor but credit to CJ for making bigger plays in the passing game than Jake did last year.

Jake @ 11.4 YPC
CJ @ 12.5 YPC

Factor in the threat of CJ running as this is another factor opposing defenses have to be concerned with as well.
I like both points, too, although the stats sandwhiched between the points seems like meh for meat.

There are probably 20 factors, but the two
Most obvious are:

1) we have an actual running back playing who can get yards other ways than just running people overs Weismann was gold on 3 and 1, but he was never a home run threat.
2) having a quarterback who actually was a threat to thrown the ball further than 5 yds. Linebackers and safeties have to respect CJBs arm and can't cheat by playing hard against the run and short passes. Plus they have to respect the fact that CJB has the ability to make a big play with his legs.

Latest posts