This Is Why Iowa's Run Game Is So Much More Effective This Year.

Having a quicker back helps turn 5 yard runs into 12 yard ones (with the occasional bigger burst), but last year, Iowa's interior line didn't get any push. Interior OL is MUCH better than last year.

This.

And, creative use of various blocking schemes by BF who, by the way, was named National Ast Coach of the Year this week. No doubt due to the job the OLine did with 2 and sometimes 3 2nd stringers in there.

The line seems to be playing much better.

The scheming appears to be totally different, perhaps due to the Run Game Coordinator. I think I've seen more Center pulls this year than in Kirk's previous 16 years combined.

Not a pull, but watch the center on Canzeri's 75-yarder. Amazing job.

Good topic and valid points. There were good holes opened up last year. MW wasn't quick enough to get there quite often. Next, if MW did get past the LOS, he bulled straight ahead for three or four yards. JC, this season, sees the hole, gets through the hole, AND JUKES 'would be tacklers' right left right for additional yardage ( 5-6 yds or more ). MW gave 100% effort and pounded ahead. JC tries to make defenders miss him and is giving it 100% effort as well.

I totally agree with; r.b.further back from LOS, seeing if and where a crease opens, seeing when to cut back, having CJ as a REAL threat in throwing ability ( short and deep ), and CJ as a runner also. BFerentz has to be congratulated as well.

Just happy as heck that we have CJB, JC, and good blocking up front ( especially nice to see tight ends blocking as well). Center and guards are very skilled.

Hoping CJB and JC stay healthy!?!? But, " that's part of football too" ! The 'two's' need to be ready! Next man in.

Thanks Melrose for starting this thread and great points discussed.

I think it's also that communication among staff and players has gotten to the same page. Some of the adjustments we have seen in second halves of games, or bending back a block assignment, or taking advantage of an opposing player's tendencies, etc., has been much better than we have seen in quite a while.

CJB hardly did anything to take the top off their D yesterday. and our running success was as much outside as inside (pretty much the opposite of the Illinois game). Yet, NW D-backs were cheating up the field, and the WR/SE was getting those crack blocks darn near every time.

That signals to me (in addition to god execution) that the whole team is "talking". Not just WRs coach talking to OC, or OL coach talking to RB coach, but the staff and players talking as a whole.

I truly think a lot of it has to do with going back and again lining the RB back about 8 yrds behind the LOS. I've been yelling at my TV the last 3 yrs for them to do this. Since GD came with his spread O with the QB always in shotgun, the RB's were lining up close which I don't think allowed the holes to open up when the RB was going through. The timing wasn't there. Prior to GD, they did line the RB up about 8 yards behind. See the successful years with Russell, Green, etc.. They got away from it the past few years. I think having Wiesman could have been a reason as well to line up closer.

Anyway, you can now see the zone blocking scheme work again and the timing seems to be like it used to be with the hole opening up at the ideal time for the RB to power through. Also, it's nice to see the counter run again which is a great play with lining up the RB that far back.

My opinion, but I think it has a bearing on the success.

Good point. Zone blocking schemes do require timing to allow the cutback lanes to develop and the RB to see them and make the proper cut. It also helps to have a RB with a quick burst to hit those lanes because they aren't there for very long. Weisman just didn't have the acceleration for the scheme. IMO.

Let's not forget we have two absolute monsters at FB. They were a big reason for Wadleys success yesterday.

This. Our FBs have been absolutely fantastic this year. They are blowing people up and opening holes for gains that should have been losses.

When we line up double tight with a FB, we effectively have 8 lineman blocking. Give the Bash Brothers some love, they deserve it.

Let's not forget we have two absolute monsters at FB. They were a big reason for Wadleys success yesterday.

Absolutely they were blowing the LB's up and anyone else in their way.Great job by them and everyone else,love watching this team.

Latest posts