This is what I want to know.

Best guesses, as I wouldn't claim to follow any of these too closely:

PSU (Clifford) and MN (Morgan): inconsistent talent around them means they overachieved initially, and then back down to earth since (those 1st years set expectations too high?).

Indiana (Pennix): couldn't stay healthy

Neb (Martinez): where to begin?!? Health, coaching, and all the pressure to be "the guy" to elevate the program and the coach.

UMD (Tua's brother?): not sure he belongs on this list. Only started 4 games his first year, then did pretty well last year.
Thanks. You provided much better info than I did. It just seemed to me that lots of QB’s come on highly rated and then reality sets in.

How on earth did Petras accomplish this in high school????? Did his high school football team drop down to a lower class after Goff left??? I mean how can you go from being listed for passing accomplishments along side a good college and NFL QB and then go to college and put out the product that we've been seeing every Saturday for the past 3 seasons????

His highlights were basically this, he had three very fast receivers and he threw the ball as far as he could and they ran under it. End of clip.

How on earth did Petras accomplish this in high school????? Did his high school football team drop down to a lower class after Goff left??? I mean how can you go from being listed for passing accomplishments along side a good college and NFL QB and then go to college and put out the product that we've been seeing every Saturday for the past 3 seasons????

If you look at the highlights, he literally looks like a Senior in high school playing a bunch of 8th grade boys. He towers over everyone on his team and the other team. Just a man among boys.

Best guesses, as I wouldn't claim to follow any of these too closely:

PSU (Clifford) and MN (Morgan): inconsistent talent around them means they overachieved initially, and then back down to earth since (those 1st years set expectations too high?).

Indiana (Pennix): couldn't stay healthy

Neb (Martinez): where to begin?!? Health, coaching, and all the pressure to be "the guy" to elevate the program and the coach.

UMD (Tua's brother?): not sure he belongs on this list. Only started 4 games his first year, then did pretty well last year.
Tua's brother is good. His team is terrible, especially the defense.

His highlights were basically this, he had three very fast receivers and he threw the ball as far as he could and they ran under it. End of clip.
In looking at his stats, he looks to be a one hit wonder for the year 2017. Doesn't look like his team was ranked or won any championship even though he had a huge year.

Last edited:
Begs the question, is there an "alternate universe" out there somewhere where:

Wilson went to Iowa and had 3 increasingly "underwhelming" years as the starter,
while
Petras went to BYU, did so well he was the #2 overall draft pick in the League, had an "underwhelming" 1st year, but then gained everlasting fame by sleeping w/ his mom's friend?
QB in the High Castle?

Trey Lance is the one that intrigues me. I want to know what that looks like. NDSU got Wentz and Lance, there are dudes out there under the radar, I just want Iowa to take a chance on, get out of their comfort zone. That's what I thought was going to happen when KOK "retired"...we shall see.
I’m not sure the would recognize one of them if they saw it

O-line? The O-line in 2007 was the worst in memory. I felt sorry for Christensen that year, there would be a defender in his face immediately after the snap. I think he lost all confidence. The same thing may have happened to Petras.
Maybe but JC could move and Petras has never demonstated pinpoint passing.

His HS highlight film was amazing. Of course it's a highlight film, but some of the throws he made on tape were unbelievable. I was so excited to have him as our QB.

Gosh, I don't know. How is our current QB doing? Would you say he has grown over the last 3 seasons as a starter?

How is his back-up doing?

How was Vandenburg his senior year?

Excuses aside, Tate, Stanzi, and CJ all were pretty stagnant from a development standpoint.

If you don't like the word regression, then fine. But, I sure as hell have not seen a lot of growth and development in Iowa QBs under Ferentz.
No Petras hasn't grown. But that is not what I'm talking about. I hear that regression crap from a guy I work with all the time. It's BS.
Stanley improved every year. Stanzi improved every year. Ruddock improved every year. Maybe you don't think players being injured is an excuse, but that's just being lazy. You're subscribing to a narrative with no basis in reality.

Latest posts