This is what I want to know.

briney11

How on earth did Petras accomplish this in high school????? Did his high school football team drop down to a lower class after Goff left??? I mean how can you go from being listed for passing accomplishments along side a good college and NFL QB and then go to college and put out the product that we've been seeing every Saturday for the past 3 seasons????

How on earth did Petras accomplish this in high school????? Did his high school football team drop down to a lower class after Goff left??? I mean how can you go from being listed for passing accomplishments along side a good college and NFL QB and then go to college and put out the product that we've been seeing every Saturday for the past 3 seasons????

Because playing on Friday night in front of a couple hundred people against high school athletes is a whole lot different than playing in a P5 program with a much more complicated offense, in front of 70,000 people.

Recruiting misses happen all the time. It's so common I'm not even going to justify the work of listing any.

The issue is trying to fix the problem when you identify a guy who can't get the job done instead of continuing to hit yourself over the head with a hammer and expecting something to be different.

This isn't the video I remember of him in HS but it captures it. Later in the video, there are a number of action videos. All but 2 are throw it a long way and the receiver runs under it, like last year at Maryland. One is to the sideline in front of 2 defenders which were not close to him.

Only one is a tight throw.

Of note he does seem to rapidly scan the field and look off receivers.

I've oft wondered if KF and co get into the heads of their QB. Think about it. The best Iowa QBs are not the type personality to "listen" strictly to what the coach says. Tate, Banks, Stanzi, CJ all did their own thing. All of them were to varying degrees not what KF seems to want.

Is it style and he just want to break them? Is there a worse explanation?

Iowa doesn't want a play maker at QB, occasionally it happens by accident and they can't do anything about it. Iowa wants a game manager who will not make mistakes or turn the ball over. That is more important to them then having an efficient QB that can sling the rock. The reason they do this is because they know if they can get a game manager who doesn't F it all up, they have excellent defenses and special teams and if they can just be pedestrian on offense, they are going to beat most of the teams on their schedule.

Personally, I've always liked having a defense focused team. I'd rather have both obviously and I hope the offense gets better, but winning is literally all I care about. When they lose and they will, then I'll whine a little but I'll also realize that we have a program that is in the top 8 in the P5 for wins in the last 5 seasons and think to myself, "it could be worse"

Jake Christensen was more highly rated than Petras. I watched high school tape on both of them and they both looked great. These kids run a lot of spread offenses against inferior talent. The windows are much bigger.

Petras has an NFL arm. No debate. He has bad mechanics at times and does not play well under duress. I would guess he was not under much duress against high school competition.

Jake Christensen was more highly rated than Petras. I watched high school tape on both of them and they both looked great. These kids run a lot of spread offenses against inferior talent. The windows are much bigger.

Petras has an NFL arm. No debate. He has bad mechanics at times and does not play well under duress. I would guess he was not under much duress against high school competition.
JC actually did pretty well at Eastern. Naturally that wasn't BIG, but EIU has a better history of having future NFL QBs that actually have significant NFL careers than Iowa.

Interesting article: https://www.espn.com/chicago/columns/story?columnist=powers_scott&id=4545531

What is interesting his stats against PSU were about the same at both schools.

JC actually did pretty well at Eastern. Naturally that wasn't BIG, but EIU has a better history of having future NFL QBs that actually have significant NFL careers than Iowa.

Interesting article: https://www.espn.com/chicago/columns/story?columnist=powers_scott&id=4545531

What is interesting his stats against PSU were about the same at both schools.
He had a weak arm and could not hit the broad side of a barn. I guess those deficiencies were because he was not happy? Whatever. Old news.

There is a pretty good history of ex Iowa QBs going on to do very well at other schools. Mostly lesser schools like this, but then Ruddock did well at Michigan.

The other piece of the puzzle is that, IMHO, QBs at Iowa tend to peak their sophomore year. That is a bit of an overstatement, but there are not really any cases of Iowa QBs coming in and starting multiple years and showing material improvement each year. Put another way, which QB under KF who started multiple seasons had his best statistical and W/L success his senior year? Maybe Stanley? But, we could point to several obvious examples of regression during the KF era.

Bottom line, this just aint QB U.

The other piece of the puzzle is that, IMHO, QBs at Iowa tend to peak their sophomore year. That is a bit of an overstatement, but there are not really any cases of Iowa QBs coming in and starting multiple years and showing material improvement each year. Put another way, which QB under KF who started multiple seasons had his best statistical and W/L success his senior year? Maybe Stanley? But, we could point to several obvious examples of regression during the KF era.

The tired narrative of QBs getting worse under Ferentz needs to be retired. Stanzi was statistically much better his senior year, though the team record didn't reflect it due to late game defensive collapses (mostly due to no depth on the D-line). If I remember correctly, the Hawks led in the 4th quarter of all but one of their losses that year. Tate and Beathard both played injured their senior years so you can throw those out. Got any valid examples of QBs regressing?

Because playing on Friday night in front of a couple hundred people against high school athletes is a whole lot different than playing in a P5 program with a much more complicated offense, in front of 70,000 people.

Recruiting misses happen all the time. It's so common I'm not even going to justify the work of listing any.

The issue is trying to fix the problem when you identify a guy who can't get the job done instead of continuing to hit yourself over the head with a hammer and expecting something to be different.

The other guys on our radar for that class were Trey Lance and Zach Wilson. In particular, it seemed this spot was between whoever committed first between Wilson and Petras, and Spencer beat him to it. It seemed like a good get for Iowa, at the time (Petras was the highest rated of the 3). Now those other 2 guys are NFL starters.

In particular, I think Wilson would have been an awesome fit. Combines a lot of the best traits of Tate and Beathard. But we probably would have ruined him. Dammit, I am getting way more cynical than usual.

He had a weak arm and could not hit the broad side of a barn. I guess those deficiencies were because he was not happy? Whatever. Old news.

There is a pretty good history of ex Iowa QBs going on to do very well at other schools. Mostly lesser schools like this, but then Ruddock did well at Michigan.

The weak arm thing is a total myth. Why do I know that? Several HS players from my community went to EIU. One was the starting QB who lost his job. He unseated a several year starter showing up late. The starter transferred from Wyoming where he had started some.

Where am I going with this? Maybe it's the system that screwed him up. He did NOT have a weak arm at Eastern. The guys and parents from my community repeated were in awe of his cannon arm.

Ruddock was never a terrible QB here. He just wasn't the best when the Hawks had enough other weaknesses to need a gutsy and mobile (somewhat) QB.

Not saying JC was a great QB. He did not have a weak arm after he left. Injuries? Technique coaching?

The tired narrative of QBs getting worse under Ferentz needs to be retired. Stanzi was statistically much better his senior year, though the team record didn't reflect it due to late game defensive collapses (mostly due to no depth on the D-line). If I remember correctly, the Hawks led in the 4th quarter of all but one of their losses that year. Tate and Beathard both played injured their senior years so you can throw those out. Got any valid examples of QBs regressing?
Gosh, I don't know. How is our current QB doing? Would you say he has grown over the last 3 seasons as a starter?

How is his back-up doing?

How was Vandenburg his senior year?

Excuses aside, Tate, Stanzi, and CJ all were pretty stagnant from a development standpoint.

If you don't like the word regression, then fine. But, I sure as hell have not seen a lot of growth and development in Iowa QBs under Ferentz.

I think about the QB’s from PSU, MN, Indiana, Nebraska, Maryland, and maybe others who have been really inconsistent. I am referring to about the last 4-5 seasons. Seems all of them were slated to be stars, but disappointment followed. Thoughts? If this sounds like I am defending Spencer P., forget it.

I think about the QB’s from PSU, MN, Indiana, Nebraska, Maryland, and maybe others who have been really inconsistent. I am referring to about the last 4-5 seasons. Seems all of them were slated to be stars, but disappointment followed. Thoughts? If this sounds like I am defending Spencer P., forget it.

Best guesses, as I wouldn't claim to follow any of these too closely:

PSU (Clifford) and MN (Morgan): inconsistent talent around them means they overachieved initially, and then back down to earth since (those 1st years set expectations too high?).

Indiana (Pennix): couldn't stay healthy

Neb (Martinez): where to begin?!? Health, coaching, and all the pressure to be "the guy" to elevate the program and the coach.

UMD (Tua's brother?): not sure he belongs on this list. Only started 4 games his first year, then did pretty well last year.

Meh. I just take it as high school doesn't always translate to college. College doesn't always translate to pro.
Eric Crouch won the Heisman. The Rams even drafted him for some reason to play some position.

Even if you account for a style/offense that maybe does/does not suit them. Sometimes, it just doesn't translate.

Iowa doesn't want a play maker at QB, occasionally it happens by accident and they can't do anything about it. Iowa wants a game manager who will not make mistakes or turn the ball over. That is more important to them then having an efficient QB that can sling the rock. The reason they do this is because they know if they can get a game manager who doesn't F it all up, they have excellent defenses and special teams and if they can just be pedestrian on offense, they are going to beat most of the teams on their schedule.

Personally, I've always liked having a defense focused team. I'd rather have both obviously and I hope the offense gets better, but winning is literally all I care about. When they lose and they will, then I'll whine a little but I'll also realize that we have a program that is in the top 8 in the P5 for wins in the last 5 seasons and think to myself, "it could be worse"

I agree with this. However, if your completion rate of your quarterback is 57% in basically a pitch and catch era...then go get a Mike Clifford or a Syklar Thompson type quarterback. Roll the dice and tell someone like Trey Lance to come here and play quarterback. At the end of the day I fully recognize I could be only asking for a sexier 9-3.:)

The other guys on our radar for that class were Trey Lance and Zach Wilson. In particular, it seemed this spot was between whoever committed first between Wilson and Petras, and Spencer beat him to it. It seemed like a good get for Iowa, at the time (Petras was the highest rated of the 3). Now those other 2 guys are NFL starters.

In particular, I think Wilson would have been an awesome fit. Combines a lot of the best traits of Tate and Beathard. But we probably would have ruined him. Dammit, I am getting way more cynical than usual.

Trey Lance is the one that intrigues me. I want to know what that looks like. NDSU got Wentz and Lance, there are dudes out there under the radar, I just want Iowa to take a chance on, get out of their comfort zone. That's what I thought was going to happen when KOK "retired"...we shall see.

The other guys on our radar for that class were Trey Lance and Zach Wilson....

Begs the question, is there an "alternate universe" out there somewhere where:

Wilson went to Iowa and had 3 increasingly "underwhelming" years as the starter,
while
Petras went to BYU, did so well he was the #2 overall draft pick in the League, had an "underwhelming" 1st year, but then gained everlasting fame by sleeping w/ his mom's friend?

Latest posts