This Is The Official "I Hate NIL And The Portal" Thread...

There are going to be more leaving and more coming in. High level transfer portal players saying they've spoken to Iowa already. Iowa was the loser this season in the portal over all IMO, but you could argue they were a winner the season before. I think it's too early to say if this will be good or bad for Iowa. Iowa is in the B1G, so, it's already better for Iowa than most (30 schools) or so. Plus, KF era is inevitably coming to an end whether we want it or not. There is going to be a lot of change to our program over the next decade and there isn't a fucking person in the world, especially dudes who hang out on HawkeyeNation forums that can tell you what's going to happen or how it will happen.

I soooo wish you were joking or being sarcastic but this might not be far from the truth. They may have to take a few DB's that played WR in high school and have them run some routes.

THAT F*CKING TRANSFER PORTAL!!!!!
I mean yeah if Johnson and Bruce are gone then who's left that's actually caught a pass? Brecht, Vines and Bostick... Do they have 10 catches combined to their names? I mean who in the BIG or D1 football would have a lessor experienced WR room then that?

I hate it.
I accept that it's the "right" way to do it.
I respect it for what it is.
I understand it provides student athletes with the best opportunity for them, be it educational or athletic.
I can't think of a reason why it shouldn't operate as it does.
It's totally fair and right by the players. And still 'fair' to the schools. You want to keep 'em? Find a way to keep 'em.

But I think it ultimately detracts from what makes college football awesome and eschews the last vestiges of the possible notion that college football isn't explicitly and comprehensively about money.

I'm one of the oldz. This is the way it is now. I deal with it. I won't embrace it lovingly. But I will deal.

I mean yeah if Johnson and Bruce are gone then who's left that's actually caught a pass? Brecht, Vines and Bostick... Do they have 10 catches combined to their names? I mean who in the BIG or D1 football would have a lessor experienced WR room then that?

Depends, my guess is they go hard at WR in the portal, they could actually bring in guys with better stats than Keegan or Bruce....cause ya know, that isn't hard to do.

I just usher the pumping of the brakes here.

Bruce had offers from ISU, Western IL and Tulsa.

Johnson ISU, KST, North Dakota State and Nebraska reluctantly offered to save face at the end.

These guys are about as far away from irreplaceable as you can get. That said, it's not a good thing. I don't think it is. I'm just saying, Iowa probably could come out of this with more experience at WR. Which again, won't take much.

I hate it.
I accept that it's the "right" way to do it.
I respect it for what it is.
I understand it provides student athletes with the best opportunity for them, be it educational or athletic.
I can't think of a reason why it shouldn't operate as it does.
It's totally fair and right by the players. And still 'fair' to the schools. You want to keep 'em? Find a way to keep 'em.

But I think it ultimately detracts from what makes college football awesome and eschews the last vestiges of the possible notion that college football isn't explicitly and comprehensively about money.

I'm one of the oldz. This is the way it is now. I deal with it. I won't embrace it lovingly. But I will deal.
The entity to direct anger towards is the NCAA and Mark Emmert especially. Athletes wanted and asked for a long time to get just some simple concessions. To be able to sign some autographs or do a radio spot or maybe get some percentage of proceeds for jersey sales.

The NCAA said no way.

The NCAA pulled a kid's eligibility because he made a couple bucks off Youtube making videos that had nothing to do with his team or sport.

The NCAA did this. They refused to work with student athletes and now they got their toy taken away. And it's just desserts.

The entity to direct anger towards is the NCAA and Mark Emmert especially. Athletes wanted and asked for a long time to get just some simple concessions. To be able to sign some autographs or do a radio spot or maybe get some percentage of proceeds for jersey sales.

The NCAA said no way.

The NCAA pulled a kid's eligibility because he made a couple bucks off Youtube making videos that had nothing to do with his team or sport.

The NCAA did this. They refused to work with student athletes and now they got their toy taken away. And it's just desserts.
I can not like this enough. This. 1,000 times this.

The NCAA said no way.

Oh I hear ya.
I think it probably should be the way it's going, even if it makes me feel icky.

I'm generally a raging libertarian. I understand it's the NCAA's sandbox and they make the rules. And as much as I may not like it's impact, I also think it ultimately should be the right of the student and his/her chosen university to decide if he/she has to sit for a spell before playing following a transfer. As much as I "hate it" (for it's impact) I also feel it's probably "right".

I mean, it's a bit self righteous of me to care about what I think about college football, over a human making the best decision for themself.

Depends, my guess is they go hard at WR in the portal, they could actually bring in guys with better stats than Keegan or Bruce....cause ya know, that isn't hard to do.

I just usher the pumping of the brakes here.

Bruce had offers from ISU, Western IL and Tulsa.

Johnson ISU, KST, North Dakota State and Nebraska reluctantly offered to save face at the end.

These guys are about as far away from irreplaceable as you can get. That said, it's not a good thing. I don't think it is. I'm just saying, Iowa probably could come out of this with more experience at WR. Which again, won't take much.
Well maybe. Till we actually do do that I'll take the show me first approach. Is Oliver Martin the only WR transfer in of note we've had and that sure didn't stick. But can the new dudes grasp BFs intricate schemes of blocking 65% of the plays and running wind sprints the other 34.8% of the time fast enough to earn PT?

Well maybe. Till we actually do do that I'll take the show me first approach. Is Oliver Martin the only WR transfer in of note we've had and that sure didn't stick. But can the new dudes grasp BFs intricate schemes of blocking 65% of the plays and running wind sprints the other 34.8% of the time fast enough to earn PT?

Talking other decent WR's that are in the portal into coming here is going to be one hell of a tough sell.

I just usher the pumping of the brakes here....

...Johnson ISU, KST, North Dakota State and Nebraska reluctantly offered to save face at the end.
This.

Nothing against KJ personally at all. I'm sure he's an awesome guy and truth be told I wish he was on the team.

But you guys saying this is the apocalyspe need to relax and take a Valium or three. Here's what he did at Iowa in total the whole time he's been here. It isn't like were letting McNutt slip through our fingers for chrissakes. At the very loeast no one knows how good he is because he's been hurt more than healthy. That's also not a great thing.

1669928951654.png

This.

Nothing against KJ personally at all. I'm sure he's an awesome guy and truth be told I wish he was on the team.

But you guys saying this is the apocalyspe need to relax and take a Valium or three. Here's what he did at Iowa in total the whole time he's been here. It isn't like were letting McNutt slip through our fingers for chrissakes. At the very loeast no one knows how good he is because he's been hurt more than healthy. That's also not a great thing.

View attachment 9586
That's what I am saying. How hard is that to replace? I wish him best, but this isn't at all like Charlie Jones leaving. He will go to Nebraska and Nebraska will throw the ball to him a lot. Nebraska will continue to not be as good of program.

That's what I am saying. How hard is that to replace? I wish him best, but this isn't at all like Charlie Jones leaving. He will go to Nebraska and Nebraska will throw the ball to him a lot. Nebraska will continue to not be as good of program.
You do this same thing every time something negative happens. I get it you are a 1/2 glass full guy and everything in the Hawkeye program is great but just 3 months ago you were telling us Johnson and Bruce were better than Charlie Jones and that Iowa would win 9 games while Purdue would only win 5.

Welp, Purdue is representing the West in the BTC while Iowa won 7 games. Now these WRs who you said were better than Jones are now leaving. But we are supposed to act as if everything is ok.

BTW, to you and Fry, I don't see anyone really freaking out over this. Most of us knew this was coming. I'm not shocked by this at all.

capture.jpg

BTW, to you and Fry, I don't see anyone really freaking out over this. Most of us knew this was coming. I'm not shocked by this at all.
Lots of people here saying this is the beginning of the end, I'm done buying tickets if it keeps up, saying we'll need to start playing DBs because the WR room is shrinking, on and on. I've also been cruising twitter and HR after this and I can definitely tell you people are freaking out.