"This is our House" -Illini fans

They brought 1/2 a section of students, and they sat in seats (and bought concessions) that probably would have been empty otherwise.

Sure it sucks that they were there, but their money is just as green as anyone elses.

ive heard gopher fans say that about us in foorball- we really have become a home game for them in a sense- illini fans are always gonna travel to Carver and Kinnick just cuz its close, but we are so bad in b-ball now and alot of us are so apathetic(understandably) that a couple hundred fans seems like they owned the joint- that sux is all

Re: This is our house....

Dude, this team has shown a consistent pattern of going like ten minutes with only scoring two points or whatever. This has been happening for a few years now. I'm certainly not going to call someone a bad fan for not wanting to watch that.
There is really no excuse for students not to show. Especially tonight.

I understand that Iowa basketball is at it's worst depths both play-wise, and fan interest-wise, and I get the economy makes people have to pick and choose what they spend money on. However, I still can't get over the fact that the students just mailed it in.

And part of that says A LOT about our "fans".
Is that the same fan base that is torching a kid for being the coaches son? After who ever posted that video of John and then the site allowing it to be up I lost a bit of respect for the fan base. I know times are tough both on the court and with the economy but us "fans" need more wins to quench our thirst but these kids desreve more support than they are getting.

So all you guys complaining about the attendance were at the game tonight? If not then you are completely invalidating what you are typing. You are complaining about the fan base not attending when you yourself are in fact not attending.

Is that the same fan base that is torching a kid for being the coaches son? After who ever posted that video of John and then the site allowing it to be up I lost a bit of respect for the fan base. I know times are tough both on the court and with the economy but us "fans" need more wins to quench our thirst but these kids desreve more support than they are getting.

Do you think Jon would have been better served to take the video down, and/or ban anyone who posted it or posted a link to it?

I thought the video was in poor taste, but it's out there now. Not a whole lot Jon can do about it.

So all you guys complaining about the attendance were at the game tonight? If not then you are completely invalidating what you are typing. You are complaining about the fan base not attending when you yourself are in fact not attending.

It's not as cut and dry as you make it... I doubt you were willing to drive from KC and some hawk fans are not going to be able to make weekday games that start at 7:30 when they work the next day. I put this more on the fans that live in Iowa City or near by.

Question.....Were the students allowed in free tonight? If so, then I would agree with you guys they should have had a better showing. I know a few games back I saw that they were allowed in free....I wasn't sure about tonight's game.

It's not as cut and dry as you make it... I doubt you were willing to drive from KC and some hawk fans are not going to be able to make weekday games that start at 7:30 when they work the next day. I put this more on the fans that live in Iowa City or near by.

Bingo. Getting to a 730 game in Iowa City means leaving Des Moines at 5 at the earliest, and not getting home until close to midnight.

When you have to work in the morning (or have an 0800 class like me) that doesn't sound too appealing.

When you allow this system of basketball and this way of playing, you invite opposing fans to buy whole sections of seats. And you invite them to chant whatever they want.

This was their house.

Time to make a change.

That made me sick too. I wanted to go to the game and chant back.. but 4 hours is a little long of a drive. :/

:confused:
Must be another shining product of the illannoy school system.
Ultra pithy, and totally insulting, all at the same time.
Or not.

MUst be? You have no reason to believe that, do you. I am just stating the obvious. Iowa is really hurting in B 'ball now and fans are not showing up to support a mediocre(at best) product, so other teams can come in and rule the roost.
If you dislike this practice, then why do the same to Minnesota? Why not stay home and support your team? Because it is better to be there vocally, right?
Do Iowa fans travel to Champaign during football season? Of course. It's what fans do. But for some reason, you find it offensive when someone else does it to you.
Sure does suck to be pwned, doesn't it?

Remember that when you do the same thing. :cool: