This is on Fran

Good to hear from you Foval. Just a base set to support guard play. Saw thss trick done by Hubbie Brown at a clinic years ago. Makes the middle of the zone make a decsion on who to match up with. Turns the zone into a man to man.

Good to hear from you Foval. Just a base set to support guard play. Saw thss trick done by Hubbie Brown at a clinic years ago. Makes the middle of the zone make a decsion on who to match up with. Turns the zone into a man to man.

But what does turning the zone to man accomplish? All we can do is run sets out of a 1-4 look, as the defense will not suddenly follow us in man everywhere. I just don't think that would be an effective way I beat this zone.

With respect Herkyattack.. I see your point. What it does is it takes away the traps that our guards are having trouble with. Also, after the intial entry pass movement occurs. I am not seeing that today. Forces the zone to play high allowing more backdoor and diagonal passing against the
1-3-1 which can kill.

Just a thought boys.

Here's another one for you... I have seen teams run their man to man offense againast zones. Alot of picks and movement. Players cutting to open spaces in the zone.

Last edited:
Here's another one for you... I have seen teams run their man to man offense againast zones. Alot of picks and movement. Players cutting to open spaces in the zone.

In high school, we used to run our man offense when we had trouble with a zone...but that's when we wore 'short' shorts, socks that went up to our knees and Chuck Taylor Converse sneaks.:eek: And there was no three point line.

This loss rests squarely on the shoulders of Devyn Marble and Bryce Cartwright. Both were the reason for the Iowa collapse. Look no further than those 2. Absolute disgusting performance by Marble.

This loss rests squarely on the shoulders of Devyn Marble and Bryce Cartwright. Both were the reason for the Iowa collapse. Look no further than those 2. Absolute disgusting performance by Marble.

Having May and Brommer on the floor during the middle of the Northwestern comback didn't help the cause either.

Wathcing Cuse vs. Louisville right now.

Both playing a zone (2-3) ...both having players flashing in the high posts.

Not that difficult.

OG3 misses = OG3's fault

Lack of adjustment in whole game against 1-3-1 = Fran's fault.

Did you even watch the 2nd half? Iowa had 5 second half turnovers, shot 55% for the game, and actually played pretty solid. The 29-7 run to end the half for Northwestern was killer. That was a horrible 10 minute stretch of bball. The other 30 minutes were pretty well played.

a 1-4 high tends to be terrible against most zones. plus i have never seen fran use it. we need to move the defense with the pass and then attack a seam with the dribble. unless you have a complete stud to use the dribble to get to the middle you need a combo of passing and dribbling.

Ya something like that would have been nice.

It will be nice to have MG next year. They could also use another shooter. I expect JO to be much improved and hopefully Marble will improve his 3 point shooting.

It's not like they are playing Syracuse and their 2-3 zone. There was little effective penetration and not enough consistent outside shooting. This game was extremely frustrating to watch. Worse in the second part of the first half.

That Stubbs sub was terrible. Northwestern got an easy bucket before half attacking him. That's the only thing Fran is bad at, substitution patterns.

They did get it to the baseline short at times but very rarely did anything with it. Still very little effective penetration against it and not enough effective outside shooting to expose it. I thought they probably should have forced tempo a little more and extended pressure to try and get NW out of that ever annoying slow tempo. It was ugly and not much more to say on it I guess.

This is on Fran right now. He's needs to turn the 1-3-1 into man to man by going to a high 1-4 offense. He has not made one adjustment. He needs to help his guards out. Making substitutions is not the answer.

It's hard for me to comprehend the level of stupidity it takes to make a post like this.

We lost the game because NW got 17 more shots than we did. Part of it was their 14 offensive rebounds. Part of it was our 18 turnovers. That's why we lost the game, end of story.

We actually attacked the 1-3-1 fairly effectively in the second half and got a fair amount of easy looks. We also only turned it over 5 times. Nothing changed in the second half game plan wise. We just executed it better.

Latest posts