This Is Going To Be A Wild And Crazy Week

Northwestern lost to PSU. I also believe Michigan will lose. I think they play at Illinois and at Indiana. If we take care of business against Nebraska we should be golden. Go Hawks.
Some major solids done for Iowa last night, and more could be done tonight.

Iowa knows what it has to do Sunday. If they don't this board will melt down with approximately 1,768 posts about "What could possibly be a more Iowa thing to do?" from. "esperts" we haven't heard from in weeks or months.

If Illinois and Rutgers win tonight we will have seven teams tied for second place in the BIG.
I like the chances of both. And we own tiebreakers over just about every one of them. Our aggregate record vs the other six teams would be 7-1!!!

Meanwhile it sounds like Rutgers wouldn't cooperate with Michigan State to allow them to reschedule Minnesota, or it would potentially be an eight way tie. Perhaps karma bites Rutgers in the ass and they stumble tonight, or perhaps they draw Michigan State in the BTT. On a larger scale I pray they never have a campus tragedy and thus need the same favor. I can only imagine what spartan boards look like today.

Then again, all Sparty had to do was hang onto a 13 point lead with ninety seconds to go. In terms of standing implications, all that did for us was be the difference between tied for third (possibly second pending Michigan tonight) and alone in tenth. That's all.

Did I mention this would be a wild and crazy week?

Last edited:
Buckle up buttercups. With one week to go and a couple games still to be decided today, there is a potential for TEN teams to finish 11-9 in the league.

And Iowa still owns tiebreakers on many of them. Which is why yesterday was so critical to win and would have been so devastating to lose.

Somebody is going to spit the bit and drop from the double bye to playing on Wednesday in one week. And somebody (hint, Iowa if we can steal one in Bloomington) is going to go the opposite direction.

My eye is on Michigan and Wisconsin. We need Bucky to win this big time. It would potentially put us in a four way tie for fifth with teams that we have the tiebreaker (Michigan, Illinois, and Rutgers).

And, oh yeah. In the middle of all this, Izzo is still whining because his scrimmage with Minnesota may not be rescheduled. And that's a win Sparty desperately needs.

I've campaigned for a month for Iowa to stay above the glut, which is why the two losses last week were so devastating. Now three fourths of the league has become a glut, so there is probably no escaping it, but losing to Michigan State would have mired us further into it.

For the record I'm watching Iowa vs Indiana women (which we considered driving down for) and it's not looking good for Bucky right now.
Iowa, given up for dead at about 12:30 on Saturday afternoon and looking at a potential tie for eleventh with Wisconsin (which we would have lost and been playing Wednesday) can now get a two seed pending action from tonight through Sunday.

Northwestern, on top of the basketball world just ten days ago, must win at Rutgers this weekend or risk falling all the way to the ten seed.

Michigan, alone in second right now, could careen to ninth in 72 hours with losses at Illinois and Indiana and be very close to the dreaded bubble. Think of where they would be if Dickerson doesn't hit that miracle vs Wisconsin and send it into overtime.

Forget wild and crazy week. How about a wild and crazy 48 hours!

Last edited:
Iowa's NET jumped from 43 to 33 on the Indiana win alone.

That's remarkable for this late in the season, and could be worth two NCAA seeds.

Michigan, meanwhile is 55, with two tough road games remaining. Remember how I said about a month ago that they could be the team in the middle of the B1G blob that could get screwed?

Right now they are alone in second place in the league. By Monday morning they could be fighting for their NCAA lives. And think of what losing to Wisconsin could have done to their chances? I'd have to look at their schedule but suspect they got to double up on many of the league bottom feeders while avoiding some tough road venues.

Now we all know what all this infighting could do to our NCAA seeds, and our chances of advancing teams into the second weekend, but that's another conversation for a different day.

Last night was the perfect result for us. We need to win at home on senior day. And for Michigan to stub their toe just once- not an unrealistic expectation. I am trying to remember the last time we had an athletic game with NE that held a high degree of significance........................oh wait, nevermind. Screw it, at least in BB, we have an offense!

I go from apathy to excited in about 94 seconds. We go from losses to Northwestern and Wisconsin and a fairly lackluster 38 minutes against MSU to a miracle comeback and throttling of Indiana. March Madness at its finest. I’m one of those who half expect us to lose to Nebraska because that’s just the way it seems to go for us Hawk fans.

I go from apathy to excited in about 94 seconds. We go from losses to Northwestern and Wisconsin and a fairly lackluster 38 minutes against MSU to a miracle comeback and throttling of Indiana. March Madness at its finest. I’m one of those who half expect us to lose to Nebraska because that’s just the way it seems to go for us Hawk fans.
It could happen, as much as we don't want to think about it. Just like Maryland fan was kicking back before last night and looking forward to the double bye in the B1G Tournament. Then, stuff happens. To all fan bases. This conference season proves it.

I was trying to find the old thread where all of us "experts" predicted final conference record. I sort of recall I was thinking 11-9 or 12-8, but I could be wrong. However, no way could I have imagined that kind of record putting us in position to finish 2nd in the conference. I think it goes well beyond the B1G- other conferences are showing more parity than in years past. For once, I do not have a clue who I think will cut down the nets after all is said and done. Once I see the brackets, and can do my own analysis, I will come up with something that will be totally wrong. In other words, my usual bracket effort.....................

It’s kind of nice looking at the standings and seeing Iowa in second place. I know it’s a six way tie for second but I’m still going to enjoy it.

i think we own everyone below us except NW. does round robin percentage come into play if we tie them?

I think, after watching Michigan vs IL, and P vs W, & MN vs Rutgers, Iowa at Indy blowout, all 14 teams should get into the big dance and just see what happens.

I think, after watching Michigan vs IL, and P vs W, & MN vs Rutgers, Iowa at Indy blowout, all 14 teams should get into the big dance and just see what happens.
The conference tournament will determine who will get in the NCAA tourney for some teams and seeding. Iowa needs to beat Nebraska and win 1 conf tourney game.

Latest posts