This is for you, Big D, along with a couple of others…

HuckFinn

I absolutely dare you to read Chad L’s analysis on Hawk Central in re: Iowa’s 2023 recruiting class. The weeping and wailing about losing a recruit who shall not be named here is not the most important story on the next class of Hawkeyes. As for those posters who balance their views on the Hawks, which is damn near everyone, you will learn some cool stuff from a guy who knows more about the Hawks than any of us in HN. BTW. The analysis is pretty well balanced itself. Weaknesses are addressed, though many are simply unknown’s. Anyway, it’s just a thought.

I absolutely dare you to read Chad L’s analysis on Hawk Central in re: Iowa’s 2023 recruiting class. The weeping and wailing about losing a recruit who shall not be named here is not the most important story on the next class of Hawkeyes. As for those posters who balance their views on the Hawks, which is damn near everyone, you will learn some cool stuff from a guy who knows more about the Hawks than any of us in HN. BTW. The analysis is pretty well balanced itself. Weaknesses are addressed, though many are simply unknown’s. Anyway, it’s just a thought.
Is his stuff still behind a DMR paywall?

they have podcasts that cover this stuff too for free.

check out hawkcentral and Kxno Hawkeye Talk. They'll likely post something on this in the next couple of days

I’d like to read it. Do I understand that I can read it on Facebook? Do I just search hawk-central? Then do I look for Chad’s article on Iowa’s 2023 recruiting class?
I don't do Facebook, but did you go to hawkcentral.com and try to click on it? You will typically get a couple of free articles. If not, try opening it in incognito mode. Sometimes it will show the article for a second or two and then tell you you have to pay to read it. Before it does that, try a quick select all/copy and then paste it into a Word document.

I don't do Facebook, but did you go to hawkcentral.com and try to click on it? You will typically get a couple of free articles. If not, try opening it in incognito mode. Sometimes it will show the article for a second or two and then tell you you have to pay to read it. Before it does that, try a quick select all/copy and then paste it into a Word document.

I used to read hawk central for many years when it was free. They used to have a forum on there called Hawk Forum. I had the same name on there as I do now. A few of us suffered through the Lickliter games together. We had game threads just like we do here on Hawkeye Nation. It was brutal. Eventually posters could only take so much of following the games while Lickliter was there. It eventually got down to about six to ten of us hanging in there till the bitter end of the season on the game threads.

Eventually, they shut down the sports forums over there. The news part of it remained free for several years until it got to a point where you had to pay for the subscription. Screw that, there are other websites like HawkeyeNation that are free.

You are right especially if you go to hawk central after being gone for a while or if you go there from another device it will let you read articles for free for a short time. Eventually it will deny you access if you don’t pay for the subscription.

I know a few of the guys came over from the hawk central forum and are on here.

I lived in Geogia while my three children were very young. At one point a thread was started about a little boy who had cancer. A couple of posters on there had connections with Some of the Iowa coaches. They were able to get the entire football coaching staff to sign the ball. The boy SUPPOSEDLY lived in Georgia and the doctors were aware of what we were doing. Since I lived in Georgia the football was sent to me.

Remember, this is around Kirk’s sixth season and I am looking at this ball with the signatures of coaches who had just a three back, to back, to back top ten rankings in a row. That football is priceless at that point in time and even more now.

I was contacted by a person posing as a cancer surgeon who wanted me to hold the ball until it was a good time to give it to the doctors who could then give it to the little boy. Weeks went by and I didn’t hear anything. Something seemed off about it. At the same time I had a young son who was about six years old. His name is Joseph. When Joseph was six months old he suffered a massive stroke, possibly caused by a hole in his heart. It was touch and go while we were in Blanks Children’s Hospital in Des Moines. Yet we felt blessed that he was still alive. The doctors told us the stroke was so severe that most adults would have sided from it.

We spent thousands of hours in physical therapy wards and clinics working with him. It was a long long process. Our other two children were literally running around by their ten month mark. Joseph did not take his first step as a child until he was two years old. On that day we felt like we had just witnessed a miracle.

So here I have this football for several weeks and I am finding the situation very questionable and suspicious. I am thinking if I don’t hear something soon I am just going to give this ball to six year old Joseph. My household is all Hawkeye through and through. Finally I was contacted and given an address to mail the football to. So I sent it off.

About a year later one of the posters on hawk forum contacted me a told me he had heard that the whole thing about the boy with cancer was a scam for someone to get a VERY valuable signed football with all the Iowa coaches signatures on it.

Not be to cynical I never kept the mailing address or phone numbers of those contacts. Sad when you think about it and aggravating.

I have such a respect for Kirk and those other coaches that took time to sign that football for a little boy who had cancer “supposedly”.

Do I get upset at close losses? Yes I do. Only because of life’s challenges and frustrations. I feel happy when they win. It’s just a simple thing in life that cheers my heart and that of my families when they win. Some how life is a little more cheery when your team wins.

You defense is good enough to play for all the marbles. Your offense makes it look like you’ve lost your marbles.

I am sorry on some of my post when I let feelings and frustrations get the best of me. I understand father son relationships since I have two sons. I sincerely wanted ( and still do) Brian to do great as OC. Visualizing in my mind of a great OC who would step into his fathers shoes and go on carrying that trading for many years more.

It didn’t happen sadly enough. If Kirk keeps him around another year I hope lightning strikes in one way or the other. Brian finally comes out of his comma and turns these offense around OR lightning literal strikes Brian (quit laughing) I am just kidding.

It a personal thing to me to see all
Those fans turn and wave to those children in the hospital and their parents. I know what they are are going through. It means a lot to them and to me.

Those fans turn and wave to those children in the hospital and their parents. I know what they are are going through. It means a lot to them and to me.

I know I've said this before and I'm a bit jaded, but the hospital is very empty on weekends. I have a child with a serious medical condition. It gets a bit wearing. When at Iowa Children's she wanted to go see the view area for the wave. She was in a wheelchair (legit) and there were boosters on a tour there. They were concerned about getting pics of themselves where the "wave" takes place. We had to leave as they weren't about to make room for her and interrupt their "experience".

She did get to stay for a bit in the room sponsored by KF, which was interesting to her but didn't feel well enough to say much about it and doesn't remember it. She knows I'm a Hawk fan, but she really isn't beyond my interest.

About BF, it wouldn't shock me if he's named Assistant or Associate HC and gives up coordinator as a way to get him into HC someday.

Good stuff, D.

This worked for me in the past:

I know I've said this before and I'm a bit jaded, but the hospital is very empty on weekends. I have a child with a serious medical condition. It gets a bit wearing. When at Iowa Children's she wanted to go see the view area for the wave. She was in a wheelchair (legit) and there were boosters on a tour there. They were concerned about getting pics of themselves where the "wave" takes place. We had to leave as they weren't about to make room for her and interrupt their "experience".

She did get to stay for a bit in the room sponsored by KF, which was interesting to her but didn't feel well enough to say much about it and doesn't remember it. She knows I'm a Hawk fan, but she really isn't beyond my interest.

About BF, it wouldn't shock me if he's named Assistant or Associate HC and gives up coordinator as a way to get him into HC someday.
We've spent close to 50% of our time up there too over the last 18 months, but never on a weekend. The Wave is a wonderful thing, especially now as teams hosting Iowa are starting to continue the tradition at their stadiums too as well as almost all High Schools are picking 1 home game to do the Wave.

The Children's Hospital since COVID has become a very lonely place. Our daughter had her 1st bought with cancer 15 yrs ago and the 3JCW was the most interactive ward in the hospital. I get why they keep everyone in their rooms or isolated from others now, but mental health is almost as important as physical health too.

We've spent close to 50% of our time up there too over the last 18 months, but never on a weekend. The Wave is a wonderful thing, especially now as teams hosting Iowa are starting to continue the tradition at their stadiums too as well as almost all High Schools are picking 1 home game to do the Wave.

The Children's Hospital since COVID has become a very lonely place. Our daughter had her 1st bought with cancer 15 yrs ago and the 3JCW was the most interactive ward in the hospital. I get why they keep everyone in their rooms or isolated from others now, but mental health is almost as important as physical health too.
Sorry to hear about your daughter. It's a marathon and very wearing. Our last hospitalization and the worst was right at the start of COVID at a more local childrens hospital due to the emergency nature of it. 2 weeks of hell. My wife and I couldn't be there at the same time.

We've been to IC, Chicago, Peoria, and ST. Louis Children's Hospital. IC is the best for how they treat kids though all are good. Each has its specialty. Whenever we've been in IC it's been very empty which was pre covid. IC is good with parents being present, but the location makes off-hospital accommodations difficult. (the worst of all I mentioned).

The wave is cool and if it has helped 1 child emotionally, that has been entirely worth it. The boosters at the viewing area still make me a bit ticked off. The attitude of the boosters was wrong and I would think they would have been polite and accommodating...which they weren't.

10 years ago I was between jobs and helped the parents of a dying 16 yo by watching him at night... I knew the relatives of an Illini BB player and we arranged a team visit to the child near the end. They players were pumped about it. He was a huge Illini fan. It was right before the Big Tourney and Weber said no due to it being a distraction. His office called to arrange it right after they lost. The 16 yo died literally minutes before the call.

Latest posts