This game has a 2003 Orange Bowl feel about it...

No doubt. What people often forget is that that USC team played 10 teams that either finished the year in the top 25 or were ranked at the time they played them and they played every game against a Power 5 team. Their OOC schedule was Auburn, Kansas State, Notre Dame and Colorado. That's freaking insane! The combined records of the teams they played that year was 107-61. Carson Palmer won the Heisman and behind him was Matt Cassel and Matt Leinert. That team alone had 45 players on its roster that ended up getting drafted. If not for an OT loss against Wazzu (who played in the Rose Bowl that year) and a last second loss to KState (who finished 11-2 that year), they might have gone down as one of the best teams in history.

Here's the list of NFL players from the 2002 USC team. Seriously might be the most talented college team ever. This is not the MSU team we are playing tomorrow. I was going to say the RB Justin Fargas had a pretty long NFL carrer but a lot of guys on that team did. Also I forgot about Troy Polamalu, maybe the most talented.

2002 USC team players in the NFL
Marcell Allmond
Kevin Arbet
Collin Ashton
Darnell Bing
William Buchanon
Dominique Byrd
Matt Cassel
Shaun Cody
Keary Colbert
Justin Fargas
Matt Grootegoed
Gregg Guenther
Alex Holmes
Norm Katnik
Kareem Kelly
Ryan Killeen
David Kirtman
Winston Justice
Jason Leach
Matt Leinart
Oscar Lua
Malaefou MacKenzie
Tom Malone
Grant Mattos
Fred Matua
Chris McFoy
Sultan McCullough
Jason Mitchell
Carson Palmer
Mike Patterson
Troy Polamalu
LaJuan Ramsey
Bernard Riley
Jacob Rogers
Frostee Rucker
Dallas Sartz
Lofa Tatupu
Kenechi Udeze
Lenny Vandermade
John Walker
Lee Webb
Kyle Williams
Mike Williams
Manuel Wright
Justin Wyatt

Last edited:
Here's the list of NFL players from the 2002 USC team. Seriously might be the most talented college team ever. This is not the MSU team we are playing tomorrow. I was going to say the RB Justin Fargas had a pretty long NFL carrer but a lot of guys on that team did. Also I forgot about Troy Polamalu, maybe the most talented.

2002 USC team players in the NFL[edit]

2001 Miami would like a word. 17 First round draft picks, Andre Johnson, Jeremy Shockey, Kellen Winslow, Wills McGahee, Frank Gore, Clinton Portis, Bryant McKinnie, Vince Wilfork, DJ Williams, Sean Taylor, Ed Reed, Jonathon Vilma...

If we lose, it won't be because this game was like the 2003 Orange Bowl. The MSU team we're facing is talented, but is no USC. Further, prep for this game is likely to have been different than the (relative) lack of prep for the Orange Bowl. And since we're not favored, I doubt our players are "looking ahead" to a playoff game.

Could we lose big? Sure. This is Iowa-MSU. We have had close games. And we have had blowouts. Anything could happen Saturday.

I don't know why, but that is what I woke up feeling today.

The similarities are there...a surprising Iowa team that goes undefeated in the Big 10 regular season, making their first trip to a big game on the national stage in awhile.

The big stage isn't new to MSU. They have played several big games the past few years and won't be fazed by all the hoopla. Iowa hasn't been in a national spotlight game in almost 6 years. Uncharted territory that I fear will just be too much. I think they come out flat. MSU's front seven is going to overwhelm our line, and Cook is going to have a field day (our 2 biggest weaknesses are pressuring the QB and pass defense....not good against an all world QB like Cook). I don't expect this to be close.

I desperately hope I'm wrong, but I don't think the Hawks are quite ready for prime time yet. Should they make the Big 10 title game next season, then I think the experience this year will help them to victory.

Still....I'm not going to hang my head should the Hawks lose. This was a season for the ages. Hopefully they won't fall past the Fiesta, and can get their mojo back and defeat the Irish!

I feel the anxiety too, but I guarantee it won't be a blow out. Iowa does not turn the ball over, and teams that have a positive turnover ratio don't get blown out.

I have more of a 2004 outback bowl feeling(right year?). Iowa given little or no chance to win putting the hammer to the Mighty Gators.

I was at the 2003 Orange Bowl and this game does NOT feel like that to me.

Could be wrong but I have a good feeling. This team has incredible chemistry and I think we see a great CJ Beathard!

I will be there and expect victory.

GO HAWKS!!!

This MSU team is about 25% as talented as that USC team. That USC team was the best team in the country in my opinion.

Feels more like the 2009 Orange Bowl to me. We were underdogs in that game also. Unfortunately we don't have Clayborn to chase MSU all over the backfield. That was classic what he did to Georgia Tech. I do believe we have a better run game and D backfield this year though. Beathard has a lot of the Stanzi swagger.

I watched that game at the Sports Column in LoDo Denver and it was so packed you couldn't even walk through the place. We rocked LoDo big time.

A blowout? Huh?

MSU lost to NE and skimmed by Purdue. I think if the Hawks patch it all together, we could beat THEM real good. They won't beat us by any more than 10, or count me very surprised.

This logic doesn't make any sense. Any team can beat any team at any time. Doesn't matter how good or bad those teams are.

I did not see the MSU-Nebby game, but saw Nebby racked up the yards on them. Anyone who watched that game, how did Nebby take it to them? Did they throw over the top, grind it out, etc?

I did not see the MSU-Nebby game, but saw Nebby racked up the yards on them. Anyone who watched that game, how did Nebby take it to them? Did they throw over the top, grind it out, etc?

I didn't see all of it, but Nebraska had a number of big pass plays (like 15+ yards). They also forced an interception, while limiting Armstrong's usual interception (he had 2 in that game). Interestingly, MSU outgained Nebraska in that game.

Thing is, MSU is probably the healthiest they've been. It's hard to gauge whether Nebraska would get away with as much now as they did a few weeks back. Plus, that Nebraska game woke the Spartans up. Had they won that game, I'm thinking they approach OSU and this game differently. Beating OSU at the Shoe with their defense really lit a fire under Sparty and the confidence (let's hope overconfidence). Beating the **** out of PSU last week helped too.

That said, I don't think we've seen our full offensive potential. Injuries aside, I think we can do much better than we already do. In a number of games, we've gone up by 3 scores early, and we seem content with grinding it out and eating clock. I think with a healthy CJB, good weather, and a pedal-to-the-metal attitude, we'd be scoring constantly.

A blowout? Huh?

MSU lost to NE and skimmed by Purdue. I think if the Hawks patch it all together, we could beat THEM real good. They won't beat us by any more than 10, or count me very surprised.

MSU had a lot of injuries this year. Most of their starters in the secondary were out at Nebraska, I think. They are now back, as are their injured offensive linemen. They will be very hard to beat.

Hey that USC team was one of the best money could buy, had they played OSU, instead of OSU playing Miami....the same thing would have happened.
Completely agree with this. As I recall, 17 starters from that USC team went to the NFL the next year. Many more on that roster ended up there. I don't think there's a team like that in college football currently, let alone MSU. I believe the game will be a close, hard fought battle and really can't predict the ultimate outcome. MSU matches up well with us and is a talented team. Rest assured though, this is no 2003 USC we play today.

Last edited:
1. Greg Davis has been on a stage this big....many times. There is enough coaching experience in the Iowa locker room to handle the spotlight

2. Ferentz says Iowa is playing with "house money" with nothing to lose and says they are going to "Let er Rip!" When in the history of ever has Ferentz said something like that?

3. The theme for practice this week was "Full Metal Jacket". WTH??? Who is coaching this team? Awesome!

4. Go Hawks.

If DK goes CJJ on the opening ko, Ima curse, "G-d, f-n-a!" No good ever came to Hawks when blowin the wad too soon.

Latest posts