This game has a 2003 Orange Bowl feel about it...

83Hawk

Banned
I don't know why, but that is what I woke up feeling today.

The similarities are there...a surprising Iowa team that goes undefeated in the Big 10 regular season, making their first trip to a big game on the national stage in awhile.

The big stage isn't new to MSU. They have played several big games the past few years and won't be fazed by all the hoopla. Iowa hasn't been in a national spotlight game in almost 6 years. Uncharted territory that I fear will just be too much. I think they come out flat. MSU's front seven is going to overwhelm our line, and Cook is going to have a field day (our 2 biggest weaknesses are pressuring the QB and pass defense....not good against an all world QB like Cook). I don't expect this to be close.

I desperately hope I'm wrong, but I don't think the Hawks are quite ready for prime time yet. Should they make the Big 10 title game next season, then I think the experience this year will help them to victory.

Still....I'm not going to hang my head should the Hawks lose. This was a season for the ages. Hopefully they won't fall past the Fiesta, and can get their mojo back and defeat the Irish!

A blowout? Huh?

MSU lost to NE and skimmed by Purdue. I think if the Hawks patch it all together, we could beat THEM real good. They won't beat us by any more than 10, or count me very surprised.

I can't wait for herbie, cowturd and finebutt to spit out their SEC throat babies when Iowa wins 21-17. I-80 east is flooded with Hawk fans. Let's do this!!!!!

Are you kidding? Tommy Armstrong took this MSU team to the woodshed. CJ is more than capable.

This Michigan St isn't nearly as good as that USC team. They've been extremely average this year outside of the OSU game where the OSU OC sabotaged his team. Beat Purdue by 3, beat Rutgers by 7, lost to Nebraska.

If they had 6 weeks off between games, then sure, it would be like the 2003 Orange Bowl.

But since its just 1 week after the Neb game and the Iowa players have known since Purdue they were going, most players are just thinking of this as the 13th game of the season, and the 6th road game. Prep routine schedule will be similar to the last road game Iowa played on a Saturday, which I believe was Indiana. So instead of going to Bloomington, they are going to Indianapolis instead.

The difference may not really hit them until they run out on field at Lucas and see all the fans in the stands

I will be shocked, and very disappointed, if anything you said becomes reality. You're entitled to your opinion though, IMO.

how dare you even utter these words!

Attachments

• funny-dog-pictures-i-hate-repeating-myself2.jpg
    funny-dog-pictures-i-hate-repeating-myself2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 7
This Michigan St isn't nearly as good as that USC team. They've been extremely average this year outside of the OSU game where the OSU OC sabotaged his team. Beat Purdue by 3, beat Rutgers by 7, lost to Nebraska.

So I guess the talking heads can poo-poo an Iowa win because of this?

This doesn't have anything close to a feel to the 2003 Orange Bowl.

First off, that USC team was absolutely LOADED with NFL stars....and I mean LOADED. Matt Leinert was the freaking 3rd string QB on that team (behind Carson Palmer and Matt Cassel).

Second, I was at that game, and it was 88 degrees and humid as all get out at kickoff and I don't think it got any cooler throughout. With our turnover issues and inability to get 3rd down stops, the defense was absolutely gassed.

Third, it was EVERYONE'S first time in the spotlight that year....coaches included. Not this year. KF has been thru big games. Greg Davis has won a Nat'l Championship....so he's certainly been thru big games. Phil Parker and Chris Doyle have all experienced this as well. The team will be well prepared.

Finally, the Iowa team did NOT come out flat in the Orange Bowl. For cryin' out loud, we returned the opening kickoff 105 yards and were tied 10-10 at the half against what was arguably the most talented team in college football that year. We didn't come out flat for that game and we won't come out flat this game.

This says a mouthful. Watch those game tapes, boys!
I think, again, if we piece together a great complete game, we COULD win going away.

I'm generally positive on this game, but I will say that Conner Cook is more like Carson Palmer than any other quarterback Iowa has played in the last 10 years. In that Orange Bowl game, Palmer's ball placement was spectacular. Time after time, the ball was thrown only where his receivers could catch it. Cook has that ability as well.

I will say that our CB's this year are far better than those in 2002.

Go Hawks!

Hey that USC team was one of the best money could buy, had they played OSU, instead of OSU playing Miami....the same thing would have happened.

I'm generally positive on this game, but I will say that Conner Cook is more like Carson Palmer than any other quarterback Iowa has played in the last 10 years. In that Orange Bowl game, Palmer's ball placement was spectacular. Time after time, the ball was thrown only where his receivers could catch it. Cook has that ability as well.

I will say that our CB's this year are far better than those in 2002.

Go Hawks!

Cook won't finish this game.

If anything this game feels like the 2009 Iowa/MSU game. Hopefully, with the same results.

USC was by far the best team that year

No doubt. What people often forget is that that USC team played 10 teams that either finished the year in the top 25 or were ranked at the time they played them and they played every game against a Power 5 team. Their OOC schedule was Auburn, Kansas State, Notre Dame and Colorado. That's freaking insane! The combined records of the teams they played that year was 107-61. Carson Palmer won the Heisman and behind him was Matt Cassel and Matt Leinert. That team alone had 45 players on its roster that ended up getting drafted. If not for an OT loss against Wazzu (who played in the Rose Bowl that year) and a last second loss to KState (who finished 11-2 that year), they might have gone down as one of the best teams in history.