This ain't all Petras

Decades and Decades? It had been 10 years since back to back even seasons and 18 years from a winning season. 9 years from a 4th place big finish. Commins had a couple of respectable teams and it was from those teams the HF inherited a decent group in need of direction. Not exactly shambles. Think about it, going backwards it would have been a 4th place finish in 2012 and even in 2011 and 2010 with a first place finish in 2003 and 2001 for comparison.
In the 30 years prior to Fry, including Evashevski, the Hawkeyes went .370 in conference. Commings, Lauterbur, Nagel, Burns, Raffensperger, and Anderson had a single winning season between them. 4 winless seasons in that time frame. Evashevski had success, but that time period as a whole was shambles.

In the 30 years prior to Fry, including Evashevski, the Hawkeyes went .370 in conference. Commings, Lauterbur, Nagel, Burns, Raffensperger, and Anderson had a single winning season between them. 4 winless seasons in that time frame. Evashevski had success, but that time period as a whole was shambles.
In some ways though games then were a more fun atmosphere. Lot's of anticipation.

After watching the CSU game again, I realized that IN THE 2ND HALF the offense attacked down field and got more creative ... and guess what? They scored 3 times. then went into lockdown mode.

So Brian can be creative and aggressive when he wants to be.

After watching the CSU game again, I realized that IN THE 2ND HALF the offense attacked down field and got more creative ... and guess what? They scored 3 times. then went into lockdown mode.

He blew thru OSU.

I saw the same thing.

In the "give me your best plays" thread I provided 3 other examples of them getting aggressive or creative (PSU 1st half last year, Illinois last year after falling behind by 14, Minnesota 1st half in 2019). All situations when Iowa NEEDED to score (or thought they would need to score).

They can do it...but they don't think it is worth the risk to play that way if the coaches think their defense can blank someone. They would rather be opportunistic in those cases.

I think tonight Iowa will play like they think they need points from the start. And if they get a 2 score lead, then they will throttle down.

In the "give me your best plays" thread I provided 3 other examples of them getting aggressive or creative (PSU 1st half last year, Illinois last year after falling behind by 14, Minnesota 1st half in 2019). All situations when Iowa NEEDED to score (or thought they would need to score).

They can do it...but they don't think it is worth the risk to play that way if the coaches think their defense can blank someone. They would rather be opportunistic in those cases.

I think tonight Iowa will play like they think they need points from the start. And if they get a 2 score lead, then they will throttle down.
Well this game broke the mold didn’t it?

Well this game broke the mold didn’t it?

They were aggressive and throw-first as I expected. Normally I don't think they would have kept on throwing, but they didn't have a choice with Maryland keeping 8-9 guys in the box throughout the entire game.

You're missing a hell of a lot.

Brian is a known commodity and would be a continuation of KF. I am not a BF fan, but I'd rather have him be the next head coach than take the 1,000,000 : 1 chance of finding a competent guy to take over. It's 99% luck. Nobody at LSU saw Saban and went, "Well, he flopped at Michigan State and had one decent season at Toledo, let's hire him because he's going to be the GOAT."

You people wanting to take some rando off the street and jeopardize 42 years of stability better be careful what you wish for. All things equal, which of the following options would you rather take a chance on?

Continued stability with Brian - 99% odds

Hiring a coach who will average 9-10 wins most years - 5% odds

Hiring a coach who will average .500 or worse and lead to a revolving coaching door - 95% odds

The only way I see the success we've had over the past two coaches continuing (remember, we don't feel it's all that successful but there are tons and tons of teams who would trade paces with us for this amount of stability) is if Kurt stayed on as AD like Alvarez did in Wisconsin, and we all know that ain't gonna happen. Name a more stable team in all of football over the same time span...

If we get a new HC not named Ferentz then everyone is gone. LeVar Woods, LaDell Betts, Brian, Kelvin Bell, PHIL PARKER, O'Keefe, Raymond Braithwaite...everyone. Everyone who has come up through the ranks learning this culture from the Hayden Fry days and how things are done here is out the door and you're getting a whole new culture, style of play, and you've lost that appeal to recruits of being a developmental program where anyone has a chance to rise up and play in the bigs. You get rid of Ferentz for an outsider, and the Hayden Fry era and culture is gonzo, baby. The Tigerhawk won't mean the same thing no matter how much you want it to because that kind of guy doesn't exist anymore. The closest you're going to get is to pass the keys down to someone who's lived it and breathed it already.

You dorks who want some fresh new paintjob of a coaching staff are out of your fucking minds. For every coach out there who can build a culture of winning the right way, there are 10,000 who don't have a fucking clue and who will tilt like a pinball machine. Use a little math and see that those odds are a real thing, no matter how good of a "fit" you think a staff is these days. If I told you there was a one in a thousand chance of you sticking your hand in a box to get a million bucks vs getting your hand chopped off would you do it? No way in hell. But you people wanting new staff think there's a predictability somewhere that makes it a smart bet. Fucking idiocy.

What if I said the odds somehow improved to 50:1 getting your hand cut off because we really did our research on a new coach...how 'bout then? Would you do it? I don't think any sane person would take 50;1 odds that a new hire coach would maintain Kirk's winning percentage in today's environment. Absolute stupidity and hubris. Show me 3 guys you think will be a good fit, and i'll show you 20 guys who were "the guy" at their respective programs and lasted 3 years before getting fired and starting the revolving door moving. Chances of us becoming the next nebraska are orders of magnitude higher than us continuing on with the 8-4 winning percentage we have now.
Once again, Fry proving to be way too fucking rational for this board. I almost feel bad for you having to post here. I'm a loser, I deserve this, but surely a man of refinement and culture such as yourself has better things to do with their time.

Screenshot_20211001-220518_Chrome.jpg

My question is, which one of the self styled football savants around here is going to have the guts to be the first one to delete their account?

Go on, do it. Delete it. You know nothing about football and have nothing to add. I promise we won't miss you.

View attachment 8139

My question is, which one of the self styled football savants around here is going to have the guts to be the first one to delete their account?

Go on, do it. Delete it. You know nothing about football and have nothing to add. I promise we won't miss you.
I’m not gonna delete my account, I’m here to own it. Petras played great yesterday, no complaints. I don’t mind eating my words when the result is an Iowa win, pass the ketchup.

This post was spot on!

I’m not gonna delete my account, I’m here to own it. Petras played great yesterday, no complaints. I don’t mind eating my words when the result is an Iowa win, pass the ketchup.
I was too fired up by half last night. No one has to delete their account!

For what it's worth, you weren't on my personal shit list to begin with, so you were never in danger I guess lol

In general though, I really have no problem with realistic criticism. Predicting the Hawks to go undefeated every year, anointing every QB as the second coming of Johnny Unitas...it'd get tiresome af.

I'm on record predicting a close Terp win.

I'm on record saying Petras is "serviceable" (which I still stand by - he's a serviceable middle of the pack P5 QB...no shame in that, we've won LOTS of games with such QBs).

What I can't stomach are the miserable simpletons who come back to this board on the daily to trot out the same agenda-driven negative tropes we've been hearing for the last 20 years but with refreshed names.

Here is my cheat sheet:

- If you don't like KF, I respect your right to hold that opinion, but you can save your breath because they will let him run the team from the rec room of his nursing home someday if it comes to that.

- If you don't like BF, again, respect blah blah, but I've got worse news for you. One, he's the fruit of Numero Uno's loins and, two, is the odds on favorite to be the next head coach of your Iowa Hawkeyes.

- If you don't like Petras, that one is easy - I suggest checking back in 2023. But, let's be honest, you'll just treat New Guy the same.

- If you don't like Phil Parker, you clearly have some sort of sympathy-worthy cognitive impairment, so I will just ignore you and hope you enjoy your time on HN. I assume you like the blinking light effect from the bottom of the page ads.

You can criticize anyone you please - KF, BF, Petras, whoever (not Phil tho) - but back it up and I'll be fine with you.

If your entire online persona is "I don't like KF" or whatever, you're tiresome. In fact, you were tiresome 15 years ago.

I was too fired up by half last night. No one has to delete their account!

For what it's worth, you weren't on my personal shit list to begin with, so you were never in danger I guess lol

In general though, I really have no problem with realistic criticism. Predicting the Hawks to go undefeated every year, anointing every QB as the second coming of Johnny Unitas...it'd get tiresome af.

I'm on record predicting a close Terp win.

I'm on record saying Petras is "serviceable" (which I still stand by - he's a serviceable middle of the pack P5 QB...no shame in that, we've won LOTS of games with such QBs).

What I can't stomach are the miserable simpletons who come back to this board on the daily to trot out the same agenda-driven negative tropes we've been hearing for the last 20 years but with refreshed names.

Here is my cheat sheet:

- If you don't like KF, I respect your right to hold that opinion, but you can save your breath because they will let him run the team from the rec room of his nursing home someday if it comes to that.

- If you don't like BF, again, respect blah blah, but I've got worse news for you. One, he's the fruit of Numero Uno's loins and, two, is the odds on favorite to be the next head coach of your Iowa Hawkeyes.

- If you don't like Petras, that one is easy - I suggest checking back in 2023. But, let's be honest, you'll just treat New Guy the same.

- If you don't like Phil Parker, you clearly have some sort of sympathy-worthy cognitive impairment, so I will just ignore you and hope you enjoy your time on HN. I assume you like the blinking light effect from the bottom of the page ads.

You can criticize anyone you please - KF, BF, Petras, whoever (not Phil tho) - but back it up and I'll be fine with you.

If your entire online persona is "I don't like KF" or whatever, you're tiresome. In fact, you were tiresome 15 years ago.
Fair, we’ve all got opinions and I do enjoy variety on here. It would be boring if we all looked at things the same.

Having said that I do want to reserve the right to lose my mind when Petras throws a 3 yard out route when we need 6. But I’ll also acknowledge that it could be the play call.

Decades and Decades? It had been 10 years since back to back even seasons and 18 years from a winning season. 9 years from a 4th place big finish. Commins had a couple of respectable teams and it was from those teams the HF inherited a decent group in need of direction. Not exactly shambles. Think about it, going backwards it would have been a 4th place finish in 2012 and even in 2011 and 2010 with a first place finish in 2003 and 2001 for comparison.
HN is likely the only place in the known universe where you could find someone implying that what Hayden Fry did for Iowa football was "meh, ok, I guess" lol

Like a lot of things in life, I think you have to train yourself to see it as "colorful!" or "funny!" rather than insane, maddening, etc.

HN is likely the only place in the known universe where you could find someone implying that what Hayden Fry did for Iowa football was "meh, ok, I guess" lol

Like a lot of things in life, I think you have to train yourself to see it as "colorful!" or "funny!" rather than insane, maddening, etc.
HF was my favorite coach ever. He walked into some talent. Wished he'd did less prevent D and threw over the middle more but the guy was fantastic. Was more conservative than given credit for.

Latest posts