This ain't all Petras

longtimer

Yes our offense is really bad and Petras is a less than great QB but our offensive line (including our All-American) center has been maybe worse. Watched as that 300+lb nose guard went right around Linderbaum to put Petras on his ass. Would be interesting to see how they are grading out. Can't be very good against a mediocre Mountain West team. But I think the one that deserves the Lion share of credit for an anemic offense is BF. I still think we have some talent and the schemes to use the talent are just not working
I guess we are not the only ones as Wisconsin and even Oklahoma are having the same issues

We are 4-0 and beat an Iowa State team that thought after they destroyed us they would go on to do the same in the NC game against Alabama. So I am hard pressed to be anything but thrilled with where we are.

The reality is that we can't keep pulling rabbit out of our hat. Up until now we have used big plays mostly on defense, Key penalties and just overall good luck. Plus as it turns out Indiana was not the good team they expected and Iowa State finds ways to lose (ask Baylor) and the other 2 wins were against non power 5 teams

All this said still smiling this morning

Yes our offense is really bad and Petras is a less than great QB but our offensive line (including our All-American) center has been maybe worse. Watched as that 300+lb nose guard went right around Linderbaum to put Petras on his ass. Would be interesting to see how they are grading out. Can't be very good against a mediocre Mountain West team. But I think the one that deserves the Lion share of credit for an anemic offense is BF. I still think we have some talent and the schemes to use the talent are just not working
I guess we are not the only ones as Wisconsin and even Oklahoma are having the same issues

We are 4-0 and beat an Iowa State team that thought after they destroyed us they would go on to do the same in the NC game against Alabama. So I am hard pressed to be anything but thrilled with where we are.

The reality is that we can't keep pulling rabbit out of our hat. Up until now we have used big plays mostly on defense, Key penalties and just overall good luck. Plus as it turns out Indiana was not the good team they expected and Iowa State finds ways to lose (ask Baylor) and the other 2 wins were against non power 5 teams

An immobile qb that can't get his body aligned makes a - pun intended - big target. D's can get aggressive.

It's like dive bombers lighting on the Yamato. Guess the Japanese AA just didn't do their job.
1632672299262.png

If we had a better than average line, letting QB get comfortable and set his feet, offense would be better. No confidence that OC watches film and exploites defense weaknesses.

I think everybody already knows this, but Iowa's defense is not just lucky. Phil Parker's schemes intenentially gives up a lot of yards but not a lot of scores. They sit back and let a ball-hawking, fundamentally sound defense that swarms to a ball carrier and waits for opportunities to grab a fumble or interception. They may occasionally miss a tackle, but there are always 4 other players swarm to the ball carrier if the first player misses.

It's not an accident that Iowa is often in the top 10 with interceptions.

With all that said, Iowa's offense could be better.

Maryland has this game circled on the calendar. They will throw everything at us defensively plus play up tempo offense to tire out our Defense. If the Hawks are looking ahead to the PSU game this will be a Disaster. They will boat race us. The offensive line is a mess right now. They got no surge against CSU and were manhandled. No one picked up the blitzes. BF did call a couple of nice plays that led to scores but overall the offense was lost. Iowa is not in a good place right now that it took an ass-chewing at halftime to make the D play hard. Glad to be 4-0 but I see a lot of fool's gold in the mix. Did anyone else see how Iowa telegraphed every blitz. Gotta work on that.

Every year it seems like it takes Iowa 4 games to get the offensive line together. This year with young guys in the rotation it's taking longer. Giving up 9 or 10 sacks in 4 games isn't good. The running backs are getting a lot of their yards on their own.

Improve the line play and then we can see the real story on Petras. He threw some great passes yesterday. Couple of drops. One really bad decision that led to a interception. Which led to a TD for Colorado State.

Longtime is right on. Petras threw some dimes to Johnson. Give the guy some time in the pocket. OC needs plays and schemes for offense to succeed. Personally don't think he has the talent to do it.

No, it's not all Petras. It's also the offensive line and the play calling. I'll also throw some shade at the QB coach, Ken O'Keefe, he HAS to see some of the same issues we are. What is he doing about i?

Game Stats:

Iowa Receiving: 15-224 Yards: Average 14.9 for 2 TDs
Rams Receiving: 16-155 Yards; Average 9.7 for 1 TD

Iowa Receiving: Keagan Johnson: 2-92 Yards 1 TD
Rams Receiving: McBride: 6-59 Yards

Iowa: I Fumble: 1 Recovery
Rams: 2 Fumbles: 1 Recovery

Iowa Tackles: 90
Ram Tackles: 54

Jack Cambell had 18 Tackles: 7 Solo
Seth Bensen had 11 Tackles 3 Solo
Jesten Jacobs had 8 Tackles 4 Solo
Jack Koerner had 6 Tackles 6 Solo

Three Sacks for each team

Iowa Punting: 8-348 Yards: 43.5 Average: 61 Long
Rams Punting: 7-358 Yards: 51.1 Average 59 Long

Time of Possession:was almost even

Hawk D Stands Out Loud, Jack

Game Stats:

Iowa Receiving: 15-224 Yards: Average 14.9 for 2 TDs
Rams Receiving: 16-155 Yards; Average 9.7 for 1 TD

Iowa Receiving: Keagan Johnson: 2-92 Yards 1 TD
Rams Receiving: McBride: 6-59 Yards

Iowa: I Fumble: 1 Recovery
Rams: 2 Fumbles: 1 Recovery

Iowa Tackles: 90
Ram Tackles: 54

Jack Cambell had 18 Tackles: 7 Solo
Seth Bensen had 11 Tackles 3 Solo
Jesten Jacobs had 8 Tackles 4 Solo
Jack Koerner had 6 Tackles 6 Solo

Three Sacks for each team

Iowa Punting: 8-348 Yards: 43.5 Average: 61 Long
Rams Punting: 7-358 Yards: 51.1 Average 59 Long

Time of Possession:was almost even

Hawk D Stands Out Loud, Jack
AND 54 yards rushing Like a little over 1 yard per rush YIKES

Petras seems fine to me, a serviceable P5 QB. To remedy the ills with our offense right now, he'd need to be (a) a lot more accurate to overcome our WRs inability to get open or (b) a lot more mobile to turn sacks into positive plays (either scrambling for yards or extending plays until someone gets open).

Petras is unlikely to become significantly more accurate or more mobile, so everyone can just take a deep breath there.

As far as the OL goes, they had a rough game, but the KF era has taught me to have patience with the OL through the early season. I think we have good pieces, it just needs time to gel.

The WR group is a major weakness. There is definitely some technique involved, but the painful truth is most of the separation game is strength and athleticism. I don't see that suddenly improving, I think it is what it is.

Our defense is great. That's going to gift the offense some sorely needed short fields, but you can't count on that either.

To put drives together, I think we'll have to be hyper conservative. We absolutely cannot get into obvious passing downs, those will be major drive killers. That means lots of runs on 1st and 2nd downs, usually into the teeth of stacked fronts.

In the passing game, I think I'd lean heavily towards "short and structured". Plays designed to setup a specific throw to a specific guy with a safety dump off option, as opposed to longer developing "let's see what comes open" type plays.

Screens are also your friend. Goodson looks great catching out of the backfield and I think some bubble screens would be good too. Keep the defense honest sideline to sideline with those quick screens to the WRs but, for Christ's sake Brian, can we please not run them inside the opponent's 20?!?

Petras throws a nice deep ball, so when you feel like you have a down to blow, heave one downfield every couple quarters or so. Those rarely hit, but are critical in terms of keeping the safeties from over committing to run support.

Avoid sacks and other negative plays like the plague but, as a consequence, get real used to living with lots of run plays getting stuffed for no gain. Not all OCs are created equal and there hasn't been an OC born that is above criticism, but if you think that's an easy job, you're nuts.

The way things are shaping up, we'll have a great D and ST paired with an extremely limited O. Margins will be slim. Very slim. I really think we could play very near the ragged edge of our talent limits and, with a few bad breaks, lose 3-4 games. With a few good breaks, we could run the table.

As a fan, stock up on Pepto and try your best to see it as exciting rather than frustrating.

If we had a better than average line, letting QB get comfortable and set his feet, offense would be better. No confidence that OC watches film and exploites defense weaknesses.
Agree. If left tackle had not quit and guard out several weeks, QB and o-line would be much better. Also running and passing much much better. But "thing's" occur to all. Lack of Depth? The GREAT roadblock. Does o/c and h/c watch film? One can only wonder huh? Go Hawks...

Iowa's line is 104th in sacks allowed. Iowa's line is 108th in rushing yards per play (that sack stat can't be helping).

Iowa's D is 3rd in scoring Defense. This is the toughest start to the season in terms of ranked opponents ever when taking into account PSU upcoming. The defenses Iowa has faced outside of Indiana are all ranked in the top 13 in some defensive stat - total, sacks, or turnover margin.

And Iowa is 4 - 0. And about to be 5 - 0.

Maryland had two Kent State TDs nullified by penalties, 1 of which was a screw up by the refs (should have been called on Maryland, instead was called on KSU).

Maryland turned the ball over twice to KSU.

Maryland also had a TD drive saved by a KSU fumble.

KSU did better statistically vs Maryland than against Iowa.

There was no-one at the Maryland game vs KSU. The home field advantage will not be as strong as it should be.

Iowa is 4 - 0 with two top 25 wins. Maryland's best win might be that KSU game.

Maryland is poor against the run. Maryland thrives on passing the ball. Iowa is really good against the pass.

Iowa should win this game. They aren't going to be sleepy at 7 pm EDT like they were Saturday.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that Tom Brady has the quickest release in the NFL. I think its one of the most overlooked stats for QBs. Petras does not seem to have a quick release. Throw in the reality that when Petras moves sideways, he looks like he is stuck in mud, and he is going to get sacked more.

I read somewhere that Tom Brady has the quickest release in the NFL. I think its one of the most overlooked stats for QBs. Petras does not seem to have a quick release. Throw in the reality that when Petras moves sideways, he looks like he is stuck in mud, and he is going to get sacked more.
He doesn't. He routinely holds it for a second too long, and has slow reaction time when realizing he's going to get hit for a sack, too.

There was one play where a very large defensive lineman ran Petras down from behind that made me think boy is he slow.

We’re two-thirds of the way to bowl eligible, so at least we’ve got that going for us…

Latest posts