Give me your best plays

Wildcat so that you can put a hat on a hat.

Motion to the weak side run off tackle.

PA over the top.

Smash route weak son.

Motion into jet sweep.

Halfback pass. They'll overpersue TG, I guarantee it, and everyone will be opn.

I like that we are messing around with the Wildcat. I think it will be a positive down the road. Sorry about the damned italics.

Wildcat tells the defense that there’s 99.99% chance that we are going to run. Hell teams are shutting our run game down when they don’t know we are going to run. I don’t want to see that formation unless they want to try it on 1st and goal from the 5.

The fake sweep to the right with Petras handing it off to Goodson going left. It's been good for 20+ yards every time they've ran it this year.

Last edited:
I think Iowa approaches offense in the 1st half like they NEED to score. We have seen in situations like this that Iowa gets more aggressive. Think of 1st half vs. PSU last year, after falling behind Illinois by 14, 2019 1st half vs. Minnesota, or 2017 vs. Ohio State.

As an example, this is what the first half of PSU look like last year:

7 of the first 10 plays were passes.

5 of the first 6 1st down plays were passes.

Petras was 13/17 in the first half for 140 yards. With the D loosened up by the pass, Iowa also rushed for 94 yards (less one 9 yard sack).

They throttled things down in the 2nd half (only 40 more yards passing), but they already had a multi-TD lead and PSU offense was doing NOTHING. Things got a little hairy when Clifford came off the bench, but Iowa eventually wrapped things up.

I think Iowa approaches Maryland like that.

Run straight at them to see if the OLine can dominate, run an occasional counter play like a reverse to keep them from total sell out, throw the ball where they ain't there and out to the sidelines if they put 8 in the box to try to outflank them in other words throw it where they are not at and win those battles.

What are your best plays.
Reading your first sentence I thought you were Kirk.

Reading your first sentence I thought you were Kirk.

haha, well that is the easiest blocking scheme I guess, fire off the ball and try to gouge out 3-4 yards, hit a couple bigger runs, negate their speed by pushing on them straight back.

I know it is old time but the OLine needs to get some rhythm and success.

I think Iowa approaches offense in the 1st half like they NEED to score. We have seen in situations like this that Iowa gets more aggressive. Think of 1st half vs. PSU last year, after falling behind Illinois by 14, 2019 1st half vs. Minnesota, or 2017 vs. Ohio State.

As an example, this is what the first half of PSU look like last year:

7 of the first 10 plays were passes.

5 of the first 6 1st down plays were passes.

Petras was 13/17 in the first half for 140 yards. With the D loosened up by the pass, Iowa also rushed for 94 yards (less one 9 yard sack).

They throttled things down in the 2nd half (only 40 more yards passing), but they already had a multi-TD lead and PSU offense was doing NOTHING. Things got a little hairy when Clifford came off the bench, but Iowa eventually wrapped things up.

I think Iowa approaches Maryland like that.

From the point Iowa fell behind 14 to Illinois last year:

Threw the ball on 6 of 10 plays over the next 2 drives.

Threw on 4 of 6 first downs over the next 2 drives.

Petras from that point on in the game: 15/23, 165 yds, 2 TD (of the 8 incompletes, 3 were right at the end of the half in a 1st and goal from the 4 with 27 sec and 0 timeouts)

Worth noting, once Iowa loosened them up by throwing on 1st down for a couple straight series, from that point on they rushed 11 times for 93 yards (8.5 ypc) on 1st down. In the 3 series before that, they had rushed on all 4 1st downs (4 carries for 12 yards). I didn't include Iowa's last drive in the 11 for 93 yards (they had a final drive that was all wildcat and all runs).

From the point Iowa fell behind 14 to Illinois last year:

Threw the ball on 6 of 10 plays over the next 2 drives.

Threw on 4 of 6 first downs over the next 2 drives.

Petras from that point on in the game: 15/23, 165 yds, 2 TD (of the 8 incompletes, 3 were right at the end of the half in a 1st and goal from the 4 with 27 sec and 0 timeouts)

Worth noting, once Iowa loosened them up by throwing on 1st down for a couple straight series, from that point on they rushed 11 times for 93 yards (8.5 ypc) on 1st down. In the 3 series before that, they had rushed on all 4 1st downs (4 carries for 12 yards). I didn't include Iowa's last drive in the 11 for 93 yards (they had a final drive that was all wildcat and all runs).

vs. undefeated and 8th ranked Minnesota in 2019, Iowa threw the ball on 3 of the first 4 first downs. At that point they started gashing the Gophers with Goodson, and they kept going back to him, but they mixed in some timely throws and a jet-sweep to Tracy to take a 20-3 lead. They then went conservative.

To those of you who think all we do is run on first down, here's a breakdown of all the first downs in all of our games. (Compiled from the play-by-play tab on ESPN)

Iowa first downs vs. Indiana
First half: 8 runs, 7 passes
Second half: 7 runs, 5 passes

Iowa first downs vs. Iowa St.
First half: 8 runs, 6 passes
Second half: 8 runs, 2 passes

Iowa first downs vs. Kent St.
First half: 13 runs, 7 passes
Second half: 5 runs, 6 passes

Iowa first downs vs. Colorado St.
First half: 7 runs, 4 passes
Second half: 8 runs, 5 passes

Remember that Iowa was ahead in each game at halftime and was up by at least two scores before the end of the third quarter.... and we all know how in that kind of scenario Kirk likes running plays where the runner stays inbounds in order to keep the clock running.

Latest posts