This ain't all Petras

I would bet the farm that BF will not be the next head coach at Iowa.

Farming GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

You're missing a hell of a lot.

Brian is a known commodity and would be a continuation of KF. I am not a BF fan, but I'd rather have him be the next head coach than take the 1,000,000 : 1 chance of finding a competent guy to take over. It's 99% luck. Nobody at LSU saw Saban and went, "Well, he flopped at Michigan State and had one decent season at Toledo, let's hire him because he's going to be the GOAT."

You people wanting to take some rando off the street and jeopardize 42 years of stability better be careful what you wish for. All things equal, which of the following options would you rather take a chance on?

Continued stability with Brian - 99% odds

Hiring a coach who will average 9-10 wins most years - 5% odds

Hiring a coach who will average .500 or worse and lead to a revolving coaching door - 95% odds

The only way I see the success we've had over the past two coaches continuing (remember, we don't feel it's all that successful but there are tons and tons of teams who would trade paces with us for this amount of stability) is if Kurt stayed on as AD like Alvarez did in Wisconsin, and we all know that ain't gonna happen.

If we get a new HC not named Ferentz then everyone is gone. LeVar Woods, LaDell Betts, Brian, Kelvin Bell, PHIL PARKER, O'Keefe, Raymond Braithwaite...everyone. Everyone who has come up through the ranks learning this culture from the Hayden Fry days and how things are done here is out the door and you're getting a whole new culture, style of play, and you've lost that appeal to recruits of being a developmental program where anyone has a chance to rise up and play in the bigs. You get rid of Ferentz for an outsider, and the Hayden Fry era and culture is gonzo, baby. The Tigerhawk won't mean the same thing no matter how much you want it to because that kind of guy doesn't exist anymore. The closest you're going to get is to pass the keys down to someone who's lived it and breathed it already.

You dorks who want some fresh new paintjob of a coaching staff are out of your fucking minds. For every coach out there who can build a culture of winning the right way, there are 10,000 who don't have a fucking clue and who will tilt like a pinball machine. Use a little math and see that those odds are a real thing, no matter how good of a "fit" you think a staff is these days. If I told you there was a one in a thousand chance of you sticking your hand in a box to get a million bucks vs getting your hand chopped off would you do it? No way in hell. But you people wanting new staff think there's a predictability somewhere that makes it a smart bet. Fucking idiocy.

What if I said the odds somehow improved to 50:1 getting your hand cut off because we really did our research on a new coach...how 'bout then? Would you do it? I don't think any sane person would take 50;1 odds that a new hire coach would maintain Kirk's winning percentage in today's environment. Absolute stupidity and hubris. Show me 3 guys you think will be a good fit, and i'll show you 20 guys who were "the guy" at their respective programs and lasted 3 years before getting fired and starting the revolving door moving. Chances of us becoming the next nebraska are orders of magnitude higher than us continuing on with the 8-4 winning percentage we have now.
Q is whenever KF steps down is he even remotely interested in being an AD? I mean he pretty much is his own AD now I think Barta bows to him but I don't think he wants the overall job. Especially if he coaches for 3 or 4 more yrs when he turns 70. I could be wrong and I could see him doing it just to guarantee BF gets the gig. Then maybe he'd hold that job for a short time before retiring for good.

A part of me would like to see Woods get it. He's coached a lot of different positions over the years and that'd continue all the stability we'd want. But he's never been a coordinator yet and I'm not sure anyone has made a successful leap of that kind in D1. And how much longer would Parker stay? He's 58 now and it seems like he has next to no ambition to ever be a HC. As much as I'd like to hand him the reigns he deserves it the most I don't think he wants it.

Totally agree with you on the odds of the program maintaining their level of success by hiring a rando of the street. That's so tough to do. Iowa however would be a highly highly coveted job by some good coaches. Stability facilities fan base and how well they pay and take care of the staff all being top notch make it so. Plus expectations wouldn't be through the roof in what'll be a monster of a conference whenever the dust settles on that.

It really would be an interesting coaching search whenever that day comes. But that said I absolutely dread it. Gun to my head I'd take BF over the uncertainty if it's up to me today. But I'm not sure that's how it'd play out if say KF retires after this yr.

Speaking of speed: while the Ram DBack made a nice break on the Petras' INT, did anyone notice after the pick that the DBack and Iowa's WR #3 Tracy both started at about the same time in a footrace to the Iowa EZ? Did you notice that Tracy couldn't even run down a defensive back running with the football? (Goodson eventually tracked the dude down and made the tackle.) Tracy is supposedly Iowa's "explosive" receiver, so this should give us all a reality check and an idea of the limitations of Iowa's current WR room when it comes to scheming and 'getting separation'.
Or maybe that was a really fast defensive back.

I think it'd be much better if they'd lock in a more set lineup (whatever it'd be) and kinda roll with it for awhile. They are rotating guys in almost every series it looks like and I just don't think that's helping a whole lot either. But heck if I know I've never coached Oline before
The coaches are also getting video tape on each lineman at various positions to grade them out. As others have said it is a young line with not a lot of playing time.

But as you said, it is getting time to settle on a starting 5 for the last push of the schedule.

Q is whenever KF steps down is he even remotely interested in being an AD? I mean he pretty much is his own AD now I think Barta bows to him but I don't think he wants the overall job. Especially if he coaches for 3 or 4 more yrs when he turns 70. I could be wrong and I could see him doing it just to guarantee BF gets the gig. Then maybe he'd hold that job for a short time before retiring for good.

A part of me would like to see Woods get it. He's coached a lot of different positions over the years and that'd continue all the stability we'd want. But he's never been a coordinator yet and I'm not sure anyone has made a successful leap of that kind in D1. And how much longer would Parker stay? He's 58 now and it seems like he has next to no ambition to ever be a HC. As much as I'd like to hand him the reigns he deserves it the most I don't think he wants it.

Totally agree with you on the odds of the program maintaining their level of success by hiring a rando of the street. That's so tough to do. Iowa however would be a highly highly coveted job by some good coaches. Stability facilities fan base and how well they pay and take care of the staff all being top notch make it so. Plus expectations wouldn't be through the roof in what'll be a monster of a conference whenever the dust settles on that.

It really would be an interesting coaching search whenever that day comes. But that said I absolutely dread it. Gun to my head I'd take BF over the uncertainty if it's up to me today. But I'm not sure that's how it'd play out if say KF retires after this yr.
I honestly think the reason KF has stayed this long is because of Brian needing some more OC time and getting experience for the job.

Brian is a known commodity and would be a continuation of KF. I am not a BF fan, but I'd rather have him be the next head coach than take the 1,000,000 : 1 chance of finding a competent guy to take over. It's 99% luck. Nobody at LSU saw Saban and went, "Well, he flopped at Michigan State and had one decent season at Toledo, let's hire him because he's going to be the GOAT."

You people wanting to take some rando off the street and jeopardize 42 years of stability better be careful what you wish for. All things equal, which of the following options would you rather take a chance on?

Hiring a coach who will average .500 or worse and lead to a revolving coaching door - 95% odds

The only way I see the success we've had over the past two coaches continuing (remember, we don't feel it's all that successful but there are tons and tons of teams who would trade paces with us for this amount of stability) is if Kurt stayed on as AD like Alvarez did in Wisconsin, and we all know that ain't gonna happen. Name a more stable team in all of football over the same time span...

If we get a new HC not named Ferentz then everyone is gone. LeVar Woods, LaDell Betts, Brian, Kelvin Bell, PHIL PARKER, O'Keefe, Raymond Braithwaite...everyone. Everyone who has come up through the ranks learning this culture from the Hayden Fry days and how things are done here is out the door and you're getting a whole new culture, style of play, and you've lost that appeal to recruits of being a developmental program where anyone has a chance to rise up and play in the bigs. You get rid of Ferentz for an outsider, and the Hayden Fry era and culture is gonzo, baby. The Tigerhawk won't mean the same thing no matter how much you want it to because that kind of guy doesn't exist anymore. The closest you're going to get is to pass the keys down to someone who's lived it and breathed it already.

You dorks who want some fresh new paintjob of a coaching staff are out of your fucking minds. For every coach out there who can build a culture of winning the right way, there are 10,000 who don't have a fucking clue and who will tilt like a pinball machine. Use a little math and see that those odds are a real thing, no matter how good of a "fit" you think a staff is these days. If I told you there was a one in a thousand chance of you sticking your hand in a box to get a million bucks vs getting your hand chopped off would you do it? No way in hell. But you people wanting new staff think there's a predictability somewhere that makes it a smart bet. Fucking idiocy.

What if I said the odds somehow improved to 50:1 getting your hand cut off because we really did our research on a new coach...how 'bout then? Would you do it? I don't think any sane person would take 50;1 odds that a new hire coach would maintain Kirk's winning percentage in today's environment. Absolute stupidity and hubris. Show me 3 guys you think will be a good fit, and i'll show you 20 guys who were "the guy" at their respective programs and lasted 3 years before getting fired and starting the revolving door moving. Chances of us becoming the next nebraska are orders of magnitude higher than us continuing on with the 8-4 winning percentage we have now.

Some people on here don't under stand how quickly things could go south here. Nick Saban could quit Alabama now and they'd still get top recruiting classes and still be in the mix for NC's, they just might not win as many of them. Same is true at Ohio State, I don't think Ryan Day is all that great of a coach but it's Ohio State. We don't have that here at Iowa one bad coaching move and we are back to being irrelevant. What's happening at Nebraska could easily happen here.

LeVar Woods would be a great fit but unfortunately no OC experience.

Iowa native, program guy, played under HF, and he’s got a good pedigree. If he were on the market right now he’d be the most sought after special teams coach in the country, but my guess is his days as a specialty teams coach are numbered.

LeVar Woods would be a great fit but unfortunately no OC experience.

Iowa native, program guy, played under HF, and he’s got a good pedigree. If he were on the market right now he’d be the most sought after special teams coach in the country, but my guess is his days as a specialty teams coach are numbered.
We're lucky he's stayed around as long as he has.... He's been a TEs coach and LBs coach he's done a lot of stuff to pad his resume and been good at them all. I wonder how a BF HC with Woods as DC coached staff would look...

Some people on here don't under stand how quickly things could go south here. Nick Saban could quit Alabama now and they'd still get top recruiting classes and still be in the mix for NC's, they just might not win as many of them. Same is true at Ohio State, I don't think Ryan Day is all that great of a coach but it's Ohio State. We don't have that here at Iowa one bad coaching move and we are back to being irrelevant. What's happening at Nebraska could easily happen here.
Between Bryant and Saban, Alabama won about 64 percent of all games.

Just my opinion but I think there's probably 5 guys on the staff more qualified to carry on Fry's legacy then BF. I'm one of those guys that simply doesn't think its going to be BF, but I do think they hire from within.

Just my opinion but I think there's probably 5 guys on the staff more qualified to carry on Fry's legacy then BF. I'm one of those guys that simply doesn't think its going to be BF, but I do think they hire from within.
No one on the staff other than O’Keefe and Brian have any coordinator experience and no one’s getting that job without it. BF checks that box even though people don’t like him.

Speaking of speed: while the Ram DBack made a nice break on the Petras' INT, did anyone notice after the pick that the DBack and Iowa's WR #3 Tracy both started at about the same time in a footrace to the Iowa EZ? Did you notice that Tracy couldn't even run down a defensive back running with the football? (Goodson eventually tracked the dude down and made the tackle.) Tracy is supposedly Iowa's "explosive" receiver, so this should give us all a reality check and an idea of the limitations of Iowa's current WR room when it comes to scheming and 'getting separation'.
I'd say Tracy is more elusive than he is fast..

No one on the staff other than O’Keefe and Brian have any coordinator experience and no one’s getting that job without it. BF checks that box even though people don’t like him.
Valid point. But I don't see dad setting him up to fail either.

What are you talking about? Both coaches have winning percentages well over 80%

I think he is talking about the period after Bear retired and before Nick was hired. Alabama was very pedestrian in the interim, winning a measly one national title under Gene Stallings in the early '90's.

There's no doubt. It's what separates us from NE, IL, MN Purdue. It's what's kept Northwestern competitive more often then not having Fitz all these years too. Yeah he's had some down years too but for peats sake he's at Northwestern. That's the toughest gig in the BIG this side of Rutgers. Without him Northwestern is in the basement almost every year. Instead he's in the top 3 of the west almost every year. More often then not anyway.

So yeah continuity at the HC position has a ton of value. We swing and miss on that hire whomever it is and you can pretty much kiss a decade of relevance down the toilet. It'd take almost that to recover from one depending on how long we stick with the wrong hire and who they get after that... I don't even want to think about it

The only way I see the success we've had over the past two coaches continuing (remember, we don't feel it's all that successful but there are tons and tons of teams who would trade paces with us for this amount of stability) is if Kurt stayed on as AD like Alvarez did in Wisconsin, and we all know that ain't gonna happen. Name a more stable team in all of football over the same time span...

I completely agree that we need to hire someone who's got the 'Iowa Way' in their DNA; that is the only way we'll probably continue to be successful once Kirk steps down. Continuity has been and will continue to be a primary reason for us to 'overachieve'. That being said, I'd hope we search far and wide to find someone other than Brian, UNLESS there is significant growth in his coaching and people skills.

I do find it interesting that someone who goes by 'Fryowa' is so negatively biased against 'some rando off the street'. Wasn't that exactly what Hayden was when he arrived? Zero ties to Iowa. I'll be the first to admit we really lucked out with that hire.

Maybe I didn't read all the posts closely enough, but I don't remember anyone calling for the entire coaching staff to be replaced when Kirk leaves. If we hire someone with Hawkeye blood I'm sure many of the staff would be retained. Also, calling other posters names just because they have a different slant on things doesn't portray yourself in the best light.

I completely agree that we need to hire someone who's got the 'Iowa Way' in their DNA; that is the only way we'll probably continue to be successful once Kirk steps down. Continuity has been and will continue to be a primary reason for us to 'overachieve'. That being said, I'd hope we search far and wide to find someone other than Brian, UNLESS there is significant growth in his coaching and people skills.
The two bolded statements are mutually exclusive, at least insofar that you don't know if someone has that style of leadership or not. There's only one way to find out, and it there ain't any practice runs, friend. If it doesn't work out you're fucked and there's not any fixing it. The odds are astronomically greater that it won't work out...they just plain are. I don't know how anyone can be more comfortable with an outside hire than promoting from within at Iowa. It's just madness.

I do find it interesting that someone who goes by 'Fryowa' is so negatively biased against 'some rando off the street'. Wasn't that exactly what Hayden was when he arrived? Zero ties to Iowa. I'll be the first to admit we really lucked out with that hire.
Two things:

1) You just quashed your own argument by admitting it was luck. We found lightning in a bottle by happenstance.

2) Back when Fry got hired this program was in complete shambles and had been for decades upon decades. There was no downside, no risk, no consequences if it didn't go right. In 2021, it's almost all downside, totally risky, and look no further than nebraska for the consequences.

Maybe I didn't read all the posts closely enough, but I don't remember anyone calling for the entire coaching staff to be replaced when Kirk leaves. If we hire someone with Hawkeye blood I'm sure many of the staff would be retained.
Not sure if you know how college football works, but anyone with a big enough name to get hired here is going to flush the coaching staff and bring his own on board. You might get one or two low-level guys to stay on but no coordinators are gonna stick around and anyone worth a shit will be gone.

Also, calling other posters names just because they have a different slant on things doesn't portray yourself in the best light.
Toughen up, Nancy. This is the internet. Learn to laugh, and if you can't do that, there's always the ignore button. Most everything on this board is absurdism at it's finest and taking it serious is a recipe for disaster. You do realize this board is made up of about 50 posters, most of them 40-80 years old (except @HuckFinn) who spend hours upon hours arguing on the internet about 18 year olds we've never met who play bouncy ball games, right?

The two bolded statements are mutually exclusive, at least insofar that you don't know if someone has that style of leadership or not. There's only one way to find out, and it there ain't any practice runs, friend. If it doesn't work out you're fucked and there's not any fixing it. The odds are astronomically greater that it won't work out...they just plain are. I don't know how anyone can be more comfortable with an outside hire than promoting from within at Iowa. It's just madness.

Two things:

1) You just quashed your own argument by admitting it was luck. We found lightning in a bottle by happenstance.

2) Back when Fry got hired this program was in complete shambles and had been for decades upon decades. There was no downside, no risk, no consequences if it didn't go right. In 2021, it's almost all downside, totally risky, and look no further than nebraska for the consequences.

Not sure if you know how college football works, but anyone with a big enough name to get hired here is going to flush the coaching staff and bring his own on board. You might get one or two low-level guys to stay on but no coordinators are gonna stick around and anyone worth a shit will be gone.

Toughen up, Nancy. This is the internet. Learn to laugh, and if you can't do that, there's always the "ignore" button. Most everything on this board is absurdism at it's finest and taking it serious is a recipe for disaster. You do realize this board is made up of about 50 posters, most of them 40-80 years old (except @HuckFinn) who spend hours upon hours arguing on the internet about 18 year olds we've never who play bouncy ball games.
Decades and Decades? It had been 10 years since back to back even seasons and 18 years from a winning season. 9 years from a 4th place big finish. Commins had a couple of respectable teams and it was from those teams the HF inherited a decent group in need of direction. Not exactly shambles. Think about it, going backwards it would have been a 4th place finish in 2012 and even in 2011 and 2010 with a first place finish in 2003 and 2001 for comparison.

Latest posts